The Talbot Odyssey (1976)

by Nelson DeMille

Fiction. Literature. Mystery. HTML:IT STARTED AS A SIMPLE SPY HUNT.
IT BECAME A DESPERATE BATTLE TO SAVE THE WEST.
For forty years Western intelligence agents have known a terrible secret: the Russians have a mole ?? code-named Talbot ?? inside the CIA. At first Talbot is suspected of killing European agents. Then a street-smart ex-cop uncovers a storm of espionage and murder on the streets of New York, while in a Long Island suburb a civic demonstration against the Russian mission masks a desperate duel of nerves and wits.
Engineered by Talbot, a shadow world of suspicion and deceit is spilling onto the streets ?? leading to a new Soviet weapon and a first-strike war plan threatening the foundations of American government.
For the U.S., time is running out. For Talbot, the tim
… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, kcvij, adolloffphd, scotthutcheon, zebaslam, Des80, smays, SaintCeadda, hoddybook

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
I'm a huge DeMille fan, but only thought this one was okay. It started off really jumbled, meaning, a lot of characters got introduced relatively quickly, and a lot of the "spy talk" and double talk made the intent sort of hard to grasp. Although, as you keep reading everything gets easier to understand and the characters easier to keep straight. All in all it was a good spy novel, although the ending kind of fell short to me, but that might be because the middle to end was so action packed the end just kind of felt like a let down.

A few notes which may contain minor spoilers but I will do my best not to ruin too much, but if you haven't read it yet, you might want to stop reading my review here....

Ok here goes: Thorpe should have met a better end! Abrams was a good character, liked him a lot, but he's no John Corey, I knew we'd see the guy who turned out to be the third Talbot again, just didn't know it would be in that capacity...would love a Talbot Sequel, to see what become of everyone in the aftermath. ( )
  MrMet | Apr 28, 2023 |
First edition signed good
  dgmathis | Mar 16, 2023 |
This book is a good companion to Charm School, except this one is set on home turf (Long Island) and the threat is more imminent. The questions are what do the Russians have planned and who is on their side? DeMille has created a suspenseful thriller that keeps you guessing til the last chapter. The book starts off a little slow, but once you get into it, you won't want to put it down. As always, DeMille takes a lot of time establishing character. Pay attention to all the clues, and maybe you'll figure out who you can trust. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The plot trailers showed great potential...then pfffftt. The first 100 pages was so slow and complex that I was unsure what was going on and where the book was going. Then, there are too many seemingly-unrelated incidents, story lines and characters that don't make a whole lot of sense until you're through the book. The gigantic cast gets overwhelming. I gave up about half way through and skipped to the end -- very unsatisfying and I still don't know who "Talbot" is. ( )
  buffalogr | Sep 4, 2015 |
  buffalogr | Aug 20, 2015 |

Nelson DeMilleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dellepiane Rawson, AliciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuiper, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I memory of Clark DeMille and Morris Wasserman
"This is the way the world will end," said Viktor Androv, "not with a bang, not with a whimper . . . but with a bleep, bleep, bleep . . . "

Fiction. Literature. Mystery. HTML:IT STARTED AS A SIMPLE SPY HUNT.
IT BECAME A DESPERATE BATTLE TO SAVE THE WEST.
For the U.S., time is running out. For Talbot, the tim

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,056,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible