The Wife Upstairs

by Rachel Hawkins

"A delicious twist on a Gothic classic, Rachel Hawkins's The Wife Upstairs pairs Southern charm with atmospheric domestic suspense, perfect for fans of B.A. Paris and Megan Miranda. Meet Jane. Newly arrived to Birmingham, Alabama, Jane is a broke dog-walker in Thornfield Estates--a gated community full of McMansions, shiny SUVs, and bored housewives. The kind of place where no one will notice if Jane lifts the discarded tchotchkes and jewelry off the side tables of her well-heeled clients. Where no one will think to ask if Jane is her real name. But her luck changes when she meets Eddie Rochester. Recently widowed, Eddie is Thornfield Estates' most mysterious resident. His wife, Bea, drowned in a boating accident with her best friend, their bodies lost to the deep. Jane can't help but see an opportunity in Eddie--not only is he rich, brooding, and handsome, he could also offer her the kind of protection she's always yearned for. Yet as Jane and Eddie fall for each other, Jane is increasingly haunted by the legend of Bea, an ambitious beauty with a rags-to-riches origin story, who launched a wildly successful southern lifestyle brand. How can she, plain Jane, ever measure up? And can she win Eddie's heart before her past--or his--catches up to her? With delicious suspense, incisive wit, and a fresh, feminist sensibility, The Wife Upstairs flips the script on a timeless tale of forbidden romance, ill-advised attraction, and a wife who just won't stay buried. In this vivid reimagining of one of literature's most twisted love triangles, which Mrs. Rochester will get her happy ending?"--… (more)
Recently added byemily.morris02, Jasmine98, Arena800, moriah22, private library, brnnchmbrs, ece91

Built on an interesting premise and written in a way that keeps things moving, "The Wife Upstairs" was an enjoyable way to wrap up my summer reading. Having said that, I could barely remember the plot line a couple weeks after finishing it. This just isn't my genre, but I thought I would give it try after reading many favorable reviews. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Sep 25, 2022 |
Easy to read, fast paced thriller. Unfortunately a little bit predictable and not sure how believable it is. Poor, dog walker with major secrets gets noticed by the rich guy in the neighbourhood who is recently widowed. Some nice twists and enjoyable if you want something that is entertaining and a quick read. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Sep 8, 2022 |
Another audiobook that falls into the category of "naive but beautiful woman falls in love with a rich handsome man who turns out to be dangerous, abusive, or both." Jane goes from being a dog walker to the live-in woman after Eddie's wife has been missing and presumed dead for several months. Turns out she is locked into the panic room upstairs that Jane is unaware of. Now, who would put a panic room on the top floor of a house in Alabama? Minor point, but these things annoy me. Eventually, Jane inherits the fortune of both the dead wife (who isn't really dead) and the husband (who may or may not have perished in a house fire that he started in the panic room.) Jane is pleasantly manipulative, the other characters are a nightmares of the Southern gothic variety. Entertaining, but clearly formulaic. ( )
  mojomomma | Aug 31, 2022 |
Not bad! Held my attention pretty well but I think the author could have explored Jane a little more. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
Jane is a woman with a past that she is trying to hide. In order to make ends meet, she begins walking dogs in a well-to-do part of town when she meets Eddie, a well-to-do widower who she gets close to. Eddie has his own secrets though and they may end up costing Jane everything.

When I picked this book up I expected a thriller but not one quite as predictable as this. While I found the ending a little surprising else, everything else was as I thought it would be. Jane was a basic character with an unsurprising past who manages to find an equally basic character who also had an expected past. I think I expected a little more of this story based on the fanfare I saw for the book. ( )
  Micareads | Jun 21, 2022 |
For Mama, who is thankfully nothing like the mothers in this book
It is the absolute shittiest day for a walk.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,322,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible