dismiss

The Shapeshifter's Lair

by Peter Tremayne

Series: Sister Fidelma (31)

Sister Fidelma returns in THE SHAPESHIFTER'S LAIR, the thirty-first Celtic mystery by Peter Tremayne, acclaimed author of BLOOD IN EDEN, BLOODMOON and PENANCE OF THE DAMNED. If you love Ellis Peters, you'll be gripped by THE SHAPESHIFTER'S LAIR and the Sister Fidelma series. Ireland. AD 672. The body of a dead man has been found on a lonely mountain road and taken to the isolated abbey of Gleann Da Loch for a proper burial. The abbot quickly identifies him as Brehon Brocc, who had been travelling to the abbey on a secret mission with Princess Gelgeis and her steward. When news reaches Colgu, King of Muman, that his betrothed, Princess Gelgeis, has disappeared, Fidelma with her trusted companions, Eadulf and Enda, enter the hostile Kingdom of Laigin in search of the truth. But one death is quickly followed by another and warnings of demonic shapeshifters and evil lurking in the mountains must be taken seriously. Are there really brigands stealing gold and silver from the ancient mines? And are rumours of a war between the Kingdoms of Laigin and Muman to be believed? As Fidelma searches for answers, she must do everything in her power to avoid danger and death in a land where no one is to be trusted... What readers are saying about the Sister Fidelma series: 'Tremayne is one of those very few historical mystery writers who can perplex and bewilder. He weaves the twisty plots into a complex historical narrative' 'A must-read for anyone looking for a good mystery' 'The characters are original, the settings are imaginativeand true-to-life and the intricate plots form enough threads to keep you guessing at every turn'… (more)

I have been reading these Sister Fidelma books since the beginning. I love historical mysteries and how much more historical can you get than first century Ireland? Tremayne is an historian, and his books are as true to the era as you can find. I enjoyed watching Fidelma and Eadulf's adventures for years, but this one literally put me to sleep every time I tried to read it. There is just too much detail, and I keep reading the same things over and over. After 31 books, I know some of the customs of ancient Ireland. For example, I know that they always had a hot bath before the evening meal. It doesn't matter where they are, and believe me, Fidelma and Eadulf travel all over the place, they expect this service whenever they stay. I didn't need to read about this four or five times again in this book. The story is good, and the history even better, but I just had a little trouble keeping involved in the story. In hindsight, not a good book to start off my 2021 reading adventures. I think this will be 31
and done for me with this series. ( )
  Romonko | Jan 6, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,014,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible