Spoiler Alert: A Novel by Olivia Dade

Spoiler Alert: A Novel (edition 2020)

by Olivia Dade (Author)

Series: Spoiler Alert (1)

Member:MiriamPatino
Title:Spoiler Alert: A Novel
Authors:Olivia Dade (Author)
Info:Avon (2020), Edition: Unabridged, 419 pages

Work Information

Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (nessreader)
    nessreader: For the love of geeks. Romance set in world of media fandom.

3.5⭐ ( )
  MissAlandra | Jan 17, 2022 |
This book was exactly what I needed. Fun, easy, romantic, sexy, and focused on a beautiful fat woman. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade is a 2020 Avon publication.

April Whittier lives a secret life away from her 'normal' life- she’s a huge fan of the television show ‘God’s of the Gates’. It goes much deeper than that, though. She writes her own fan fiction, is into Cosplay- her favorite character is Lavenia- one half of a wildly popular internet couple.

With a new job and a new location, it seems like a good time to finally reveal her secret internet identity. So, she posts a picture of herself on Twitter, dressed in her Lavenia costume. In about a nanosecond her post goes viral with both positive and negative comments, many of them remarking upon her weight.

As fate would have it, the star of ‘God’s of the Gates”, Marcus Castor-Rupp, sees April’s tweet- and long story short- he asks her out on a date.

What neither of them realized at the time is that they already kind of know each other. Turns out Marcus is also into fanfic- which was a way for him to create the kind of stories the tv scripts fail to realize.

Naturally, if anyone ever found out- he would lose his job….

Imagine his surprise when April turns out to be “Unapologetic Lavenia”- his closest ‘fandom friend’...

This is my first attempt at reading a modern contemporary romance, (not contemporary fiction/ Women’s Fiction, Chick-lit, etc.), in quite some time- although these days CF often falls in the Rom-Com category.

I did enjoy the story. I thought the premise was unique and fresh- at least for me- but I'm pretty far out the loop on that kind of thing.

The difficulties April and Marcus face with their families is compelling and I enjoyed watching both characters develop, individually, and as a couple.

That said, while I thought the fandom/cosplay/ fanfic was a great approach, I struggled with that part of the dialogue and ended up skipping over most of it after a while. I am not the targeted audience for this one- obviously, since I have children older than the characters in this book- which is why I think I struggled some- but I can see the appeal to the targeted age group.

Overall, though, I enjoyed the book, and was invested in the drama, and the characters enough to give the second book in a series a try, hopefully, sometime soon!

4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jan 1, 2022 |
dnf ( )
  VeraBkLover | Dec 18, 2021 |
DNF at ~20%.
I expected it to be fun (let's be honest, it's the only reason to read books like this one) but so far I have laughed twice. TWICR
  alissee | Dec 8, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

To everyone who's ever doubted, as I did: Someone who looks

like you can be desired. Someone who looks like you can be loved.

Someone who looks like you can have a happy ending. I swear it. ♥
Between takes, Marcus did his best not to acknowledge the obvious: this was a stupid-ass way to die.
If you ever decide to write your own scripts, a bit of advice to keep in mind: As we are both aware - all too aware - some scriptwriters believe death and misery and stagnation are more clever, more meaningful, and more authentic to reality than love and happiness and change. But life isn't all misery, and finding a path through hard, hard lives to joy is tough, clever, meaningful work. Yours sincerely, E. Wade.

Marcus Caster-Rupp has a secret.

The world may know him as Aeneas, star of the biggest show on television, but fanfiction readers call him something else: Book!AeneasWouldNever. Marcus gets out his frustrations with the show through anonymous stories about the internet’s favorite couple, Aeneas and Lavinia. But if anyone discovered his online persona, he’d be finished in Hollywood.

April Whittier has secrets of her own. A hardcore Lavinia fan, she’s long hidden her fanfic and cosplay hobbies from her “real life”—but not anymore. When she dares to post her latest costume creation on Twitter, her plus-size take goes viral. And when Marcus asks her out to spite her internet critics, truth officially becomes stranger than fanfiction.

On their date, Marcus quickly realizes he wants more from April than a one-time publicity stunt. But when he discovers she’s Unapologetic Lavinia Stan, his closest fandom friend, he has one more huge secret to keep from her.

With love and Marcus’s career on the line, can the two of them stop hiding once and for all, or will a match made in fandom end up prematurely cancelled?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,377,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible