The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea by Axie Oh

The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea (edition 2022)

by Axie Oh (Author)

1,2053516,642 (4.09)14
Fantasy. Folklore. Historical Fiction. Young Adult Fiction. Deadly storms have ravaged Mina's homeland for generations. Floods sweep away entire villages, while bloody wars are waged over the few remaining resources. Her people believe the Sea God, once their protector, now curses them with death and despair. In an attempt to appease him, each year a beautiful maiden is thrown into the sea to serve as the Sea God's bride, in the hopes that one day the "true bride" will be chosen and end the suffering. Many believe that Shim Cheong, the most beautiful girl in the village?and the beloved of Mina's older brother Joon?may be the legendary true bride. But on the night Cheong is to be sacrificed, Joon follows Cheong out to sea, even knowing that to interfere is a death sentence. To save her brother, Mina throws herself into the water in Cheong's stead. Swept away to the Spirit Realm, a magical city of lesser gods and mythical beasts, Mina seeks out the Sea God, only to find him caught in an enchanted sleep. With the help of a mysterious young man named Shin?as well as a motley crew of demons, gods, and spirits?Mina sets out to wake the Sea God and bring an end to the killer storms once and for all. But she doesn't have much time: a human cannot live long in the land of the spirits. And there are those who would do anything to keep the Sea God from waking...… (more)
Member:Seitenhain
Rating:***
Tags:Gelesen 2024

Work Information

The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea by Axie Oh

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
#ReadAroundTheWorld. #South Korea

This is a feminist retelling of the classic Korean folktale “The Tale of Shim Cheong,” by Korean American author Axie Oh.

Mina’s hometown has been buffeted by storms for years with whole villages washed away. The villagers believe the Sea God’s wrath needs to be appeased and sacrifice a beautiful maiden each year into the sea as the Sea God’s Bride. When the beautiful Shim Cheong, in love with Mina’s brother, is chosen, Mina’s life is changed and she finds herself suddenly taking Shim Cheong’s place. Mina must now find the Sea God and put things to right before her time under the sea as a mortal runs out.

She meets the harsh Shin, fun-loving Namgi and a cast of ghosts and gods. I loved the concept of this book, retelling a legend, and the cover is very attractive, but this was definitely not for me. It did not catch my attention and it felt very YA (I don’t mind reading YA but only if the story is engrossing enough to forget that it is written for teens). The romance felt undeveloped and the whole story felt flat for me. I don’t think I’ll be reading another of this author. ( )
  mimbza | Apr 7, 2024 |
While all the strings of the plot were well tied-up (haha) by the time I finished this book, I couldn't help but wish there was more. I had fallen so in love with the characters, their complex relationships, and the setting, and found myself wanting to linger just a little bit longer in the Spirit Realm. This book was exciting and heart-wrenching and so, so enthralling. I personally found the portrayals of life-beyond-living in this book deeply comforting, and though I can't really explain it better, the intermingling of the characters both dead and alive was so...healing. I will be recommending this book to everyone that I know, and (having read the e-book) now plan to add one of its beautifully-bound versions to my physical collection. Thank you so much for sharing this story, Axie Oh! ( )
  betsubara | Jan 24, 2024 |
The audiobook narrator had a voice I loved, but listening to the audiobook left me confused sometimes about the plot. It didn't make sense to me until the end, and even then I was not 100% sure I understood. Still, this is a lush fantasy with a tween-friendly romance element and overall very enjoyable.

The Goddess of Moon and Memory was the character who interested me the most, though sometimes I thought she was just there to add in excitement/violence.

I would probably read a spin-off about the sidekick boys who maybe are in love. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
I thought this was a such a lyrical read and one that gave me all the vibes!! I also loved the plot and the path of this journay. I wish i would have felt connected to the main characters. I thought it was quick read and it felt like I was almost taking a journey though the character life. I felt like this book was more plot heavy then character focused! It was quick read, but one i enjoyed!! ( )
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
For my mom,
who has always believed in me.
The myths of my people say only a true bride of the sea God can bring an end to this insatiable wrath.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,305,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible