How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate…

How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air,… (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Holly Black (Author), Rovina Cai (Illustrator)

Series: The Folk of the Air (Extra)

Return to the captivating world of Elfhame with this illustrated addition to the New York Times bestselling Folk of Air trilogy that began with The Cruel Prince, from award-winning author Holly Black. Once upon a time, there was a boy with a wicked tongue. Before he was a cruel prince or a wicked king, he was a faerie child with a heart of stone. #1 New York Times bestselling author, Holly Black reveals a deeper look into the dramatic life of Elfhame's enigmatic high king, Cardan. This tale includes delicious details of life before The Cruel Prince, an adventure beyond The Queen of Nothing, and familiar moments from The Folk of the Air trilogy, told wholly from Cardan's perspective. This new installment in the Folk of the Air series is a return to the heart-racing romance, danger, humor, and drama that enchanted readers everywhere. Each chapter is paired with lavish and luminous full-color art, making this the perfect collector's item to be enjoyed by both new audiences and old.… (more)
Member:risalingo
Title:How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
Authors:Holly Black (Author)
Other authors:Rovina Cai (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2020), 148 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:genre—short stories, genre—novella, genre—fantasy, genre—fiction, setting—otherworlds, origin—American, subject—fae, subject—trolls, subject—stories, challenge—ATY 2022

Work Information

How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories by Holly Black (2020)

English (18)  German (1)  All languages (19)
A lovely edition to The Folk of the Air series! I do love Cardan's character and I liked that I was able to learn more about him and why his is the way he is. Not much else to say other than I appreciated this short read! Holly Black truely is wonderful! ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
✅ Quick and entertaining read
  inkspellonyou | Aug 10, 2022 |
Lovely little read ( )
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
I am in complete awe by this book. I knew I would enjoy it but didn't realize how much. First we finally get a story from Cardan's POV and it was written so beautifully!! The combination of Holly Black's storytelling and the beautiful artwork within made it feel like a fairytale. Which I suppose it is. A tale of fairies. Specifically our favorite High King and the story of how he learned to hate stories. ( )
  Oblivionsdream | Jul 18, 2022 |
Actually pretty disappointing. Cardan seems a bit of a wet towel in this - I find him much more compelling when he’s playing the villain. I like that we did see a little bit of his life before the events of the main series but not nearly as much as I expected. The art also is very mediocre for being one of the main reasons this was published. I’ve seen fan art of these characters that is 100 times better.
Overall this is the quality of a freebie most lesser known authors publish to their websites so it feels a bit of a rip off when you paid $25 and waited six months for it. ( )
  brittaniethekid | Jul 7, 2022 |

Black, Hollyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cai, RovinaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Brian and Drake, but mostly for Theo
A prince of Faerie, nourished on cat milk and contempt, born into a family overburdened with heirs, with a nasty little prophecy hanging over his head—since the hour of Cardan's birth, he has been alternately adored and despised.
"... A heart of stone can still be broken."
... in her eyes, he recognized a hate big enough and wide enough and deep enough to match his own. A hate you could drown in like a vat of wine.
No one chooses a future. You choose a path without being certain where it leads.
"All you really get to control is yourself."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,142,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible