I'll Take the Lie: Does the truth…

I'll Take the Lie: Does the truth really set you free? (edition 2019)

by Nancy E Wood (Author)

442,816,297 (4.25)None
Member:PattiPeanut1992
Title:I'll Take the Lie: Does the truth really set you free?
Authors:Nancy E Wood (Author)
Info:Independently published (2019), 382 pages
Rating:*****

I'll Take the Lie: Does the truth really set you free? by Nancy E. Wood

No tags

With a family that seems to be experiencing a lot of dysfunctional circumstances and having difficulty communicating with each other, this story caught my attention. Paige, a high school senior, refuses to take the disappearance of her former boyfriend at face value. She decides to investigate on her on to try to find out what actually happened to him.

Told from Paige’s point of view, the author does a great job of building Paige’s backstory. I loved reading about family dynamics, even though tension and more were evident. Reading how Paige planned on investigating the disappearance of Justin, I had a feeling bad things might happen as a result.

I definitely wanted to keep reading to discover how the story was going to turn out. So check this book out for yourself and see what you think.

I received a copy of this book for my fair and honest review. ( )
  PattiPeanut1992 | Jun 1, 2020 |
As I read Paige Hall's story, I was reminded once again how blessed I was to grow up in a Christian home. Paige's parents drink alcohol and they aren't always faithful to each other so their three children are growing up with negative influences, to say the least. As her story begins, Paige doesn't know why her boyfriend Justin broke up with her and she doesn't know why he has suddenly disappeared. As she begins to search for answers, she seems to be the only one really concerned that he is gone. It is as her search continues that we get a glimpse of just how troubling her life truly is!

I'll Take the Lie offers readers a mystery and a realistic portrayal of the temptations that today's teens face. Topics such as teen drinking, use of drugs, and sexual intimacy are mentioned and Paige discovers a shocking secret as her search for Justin continues. When Paige questions if she should have left the truth unsaid, she is reminded by her Christian friend Amy that "The truth is always better, Paige. It might hurt, but it's the real thing. We can't live fairytale lives." Or, as the Bible tells us in John 8:32, "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

There isn't a strong faith message spoken but Paige's friend Amy is a positive Christian influence and her Christian witness gives Paige a look at forgiveness and redemption. I'll Take the Lie is a well-written and thought-provoking book by Nancy E. Wood and I recommend it to both teen and adult readers.

I received a copy from the author and Celebrate Lit. A favorable review was not required and these are my own thoughts. ( )
  fcplcataloger | May 27, 2020 |
The story is a look at what happens if you can’t accept a lie and must know the truth. Paige is on a quest to find out what happened to her ex-boyfriend. It was odd that he broke up with Paige so unexpectedly and then suddenly disappears. I thought is was a bit weird that more wasn’t being done to find him. What were his friends hiding? Shouldn’t they be more concerned that their friend is missing?
Although I found the mystery very intriguing , it was Paige’s family that really piqued my interest. Her family is so disconnected from each other, I wondered if they lived in the same house. A sister who is just plain mean, to a brother who decides that living on the edge is better than facing reality. Paige’s father is not trustworthy at all . Paige will come face to face with some truths that can either set her free or cause her to walk away from everything.
The story is like an onion that is slowly peeled away as it stings your eyes. Living with lies has caused Paige to become numb to things around her. Even though she is determined to know the truth, she has no idea that the truth will shatter many lives. I loved how the author writes a story that shows the ugly side of being deceitful where pain awaits. I didn’t see the ending coming and I must say it was a shock at first. Even though I had a front seat to what was happening I still didn’t connect the dots. It is a perfect example of how the enemy can cause us to ignore the truth and believe lies.
The more Paige investigates the closer the truth will touch her life in a way she never expected. There are some topics that may be uncomfortable for some such as drugs, physical abuse and intimacy. These subjects are prevalent today because young people are faced with doing what is right vs falling to peer pressure. I walked away from this story knowing that the “truth will set you free.” You may not like the truth, but truth helps you move on, forgive and hopefully become a better person.
I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | May 23, 2020 |
“Who would’ve known that saying yes to the hottest football player would lead to me sitting in a police station alone, waiting to be questioned in his disappearance?”

After finishing this book, I feel as though I’ve just watched a program on Investigation Discovery, and that’s not a bad thing. I found this story to be quite compelling and easy to read as far as comprehension is concerned. Despite figuring out the solution to the mystery fairly early on, I did not want to stop reading until that last page was turned. I’ve always enjoyed mysteries, so it’s a treat when I have the opportunity to get a review copy of one.

As indicated by its title, “I’ll Take the Lie” features a first-person narrator, high school senior Paige Hall, whose ex-boyfriend goes missing at the outset. Author Nancy Wood does a commendable job of introducing Paige’s backstory, as well as that of the other characters, at a measured pace that keeps things interesting. By withholding some information, she sets readers up for surprises later on, a technique which I personally find enjoyable in this genre. In my opinion, there were not many likable characters in this story, but I did like Freddie for his loyalty and kindness. Amy is likewise endowed with patience and the love of Christ, which stands in stark contrast to the majority of Paige’s family.

In fact, it’s the family and relationship dynamics that bothered me about this book. While bearing in mind that of course no meaningful relationship is without its conflicts, those in “I’ll Take the Lie” are destructive and dysfunctional. From the Hall family itself to each member’s personal lives, there are multitudinous issues which those involved attempt to ignore or brush away, leading to tragic consequences. As Paige begins to question, “Justin had been the best thing that had happened to me. But had he also been the worst?” This is a story that remains true to life because Wood portrays young people as they can be in real life, with the partying, cheating, and getting drunk and high. In spite of this, however, she does keep this an otherwise clean book, with no profanity or bedroom scenes. The faith element remains very subdued, and only in the final chapters does it start to truly shine through, revealing that God has a purpose for each of us, and for our pain. Don’t settle for the lie; trust the Lord and see Him at work in your situation.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  Stardust_Fiddle | May 22, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,866,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible