The Dare

by Elle Kennedy

Series: Briar U (4)

The Dare is the most recent release into the Briar U series by Elle Kennedy. This has been such a fun series, I have fallen in love with this whole Briar U world and from the very beginning of the story, this author sets the tone of the story so beautifully, and boy, the LAUGHS, I found this book beyond entertaining in multiple of forms. This author definitely writes this genre that I look for, where we get the drama, but its not overdone or overplayed, just fits well with the age of the characters that we see here.

The Dare is literally a story that starts off with a dare. Taylor is part of the sorority at Briar U, and she has certain insecurities concerning her appearance especially her weight and how she appears. When one of the heads of the sorority house, who despises, challenges her to a dare which is meant to embarrass her in the worst of ways, she has literally zero options except in hoping that the man that they are issuing the dare towards, will aid her. But surprisingly, Conor is more than willing to be her partner in crime. Conor is the playboy of the Briar U team, and definitely sleeps around but he is bored with it all. He wants more in his life, and then Taylor comes into his life, and they take on this “fake relationship” scheme, to trick people into thinking they are together, but what begins as a facade, only turns into something deeper than either expected to happen.

Yup, hungering for Conor Edwards is very, very bad. Because he’s exactly the kind of man who will break my heart. Even if he doesn’t mean to.

The Dare was a delicious story and I can tell you I was super eager for Conor’s book. I actually have always liked his character, he definitely has no shame in what he likes but he also has this charm to this personality that is so infectious and you became so endeared to him. Within this book, we so many more depths to his character that I just fell in love with very quickly. He actually has so many positive qualities to his character, and we see his darker past and how he is far from perfect despite the appearance of it. Taylor, struggles with confidence in herself and I have to say that I definitely related to this, or at least my younger self definitely would have been Taylor. She has this beautiful figure, but doesn’t have the confidence to embrace that beauty. But its her relationship with Conor and his hockey friends and teammates, that builds that confidence and I adored the growth within her character. Their romance is packed with some bumps in the road, but what I did admire in this book was seeing how in the end, they have such faith in each other at times. They both make some mistakes, but they learn and grow together from those mistakes and I admired seeing their romance blossom in such a way.

Overall I found The Dare to be a read of growth, embracing one’s self, and learning along the way to the road of happy ever after. ( )
  addictofromance | Jan 8, 2021 |
very expected storyline and pacing/plot for a briar u book... i think if the whole plus size & body confidence plotline had been handled better (less, i am validated and beautiful because a man thinks so and more like some sort of subplot where taylor started empowering herself more and FOR herself) i probably would've enjoyed it better. i just don't think it promotes a healthy or encouraging way for a young woman to gain self confidence and self love, and reduced a lot of her character to her weight & insecurity around her physical appearance which SHOCKER!!!! doesn't happen nearly as much w characters whose weight is never talked ab and therefore we infer they are stick skinny. (i am rolling my eyes here) otherwise, cute but not memorable. ( )
  firesbrigan | Sep 13, 2020 |
Definitely the weakest in the series, which saddens me. I really liked Conor in [b:The Play|43877254|The Play (Briar U, #3)|Elle Kennedy|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1553653991l/43877254._SY75_.jpg|68263665], so I hoped to like his book much more than I did. The chemistry was good, I appreciated their dynamic and the fake dating part was well executed. But overall the plot was really weak and didn't intrigue me much. I really dislike miscommunication or not communication at all, and instead of dealing with things together and talking, they kept breaking up, which was tiring. Okay one time, but doing more than that is really a plot hole and drags the story for no reason. A shame really. I enjoyed this series overall - not as much as the off campus series - but still a good one by Elle Kennedy.

I am sad we didn't have more scenes with the other Briar couples considering this was the last book and we won't see them anymore, but oh well. ( )
  primordialnyx | Jun 24, 2020 |
Elle Kennedy is on a winning streak with book four in the Briar U series, The Dare. In this story, Kappa Chi sister Taylor Marsh is dared to seduce hockey stud Conor Edwards at a house function. If she refuses, she will become the house pariah. This contemporary sports romance is suitable for new adult readers.

The Dare is a heartfelt and entertaining story. Taylor and Conor are loveable characters. They both grow due to being with the other person. I like that this book showed that everyone has insecurities and handles it differently. I love that Conor found someone he felt he could be himself around. I appreciated that he gave Taylor confidence. I also respected Conor and Taylor resolved family issues because of knowing one another. They truly made each other better people.

Both Conor and Taylor face some compelling issues throughout this novel. The Dare was a realistic page-turner. I recommend this story to people who enjoy college sports romances. I am looking forward to the next book in the series. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. ( )
  dlynch | Jun 17, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,913,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible