Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 3 by Hiromu…

Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 3

by Hiromu Arakawa

Accompanied by their bodyguard, Alex Louis Armstrong, our heroes seek out their closest childhood friend, Winry Rockbell, to fix their battered "auto-mail" bodyparts. Soon their quest for the Philosopher's Stone takes them to the great central library, where the Stone's formula may be hidden...if the mysterious figure named Lust doesn't get there first! But the secret of the Philosopher's Stone may be even more frightening than the beings who guard it...… (more)

Perhaps one of my favorites for its comedy style! I have always loved Berry, but not just that there are so many funny moments in this one! I also love the tensions that start building between our main characters, along with all the doubts and fears that are uncovered. This book holds one of the turning points in this series and reveals some major surprises. ( )
  Shadow494 | Feb 1, 2018 |
Funny, but not going to continue past book 3. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
I've decided that I need to read more of this series. I like the Cedric brothers, and I want to see into what adventures they will find themselves. The book is still full of violence (i.e. fights between characters with lots of sound effects). I guess that appeals to young guys to whom shounen manga is usually directed. I am more interested in the characters of this volume. The oddest one is the pipe-smoking Pinako Rockbell who has the weirdest hairdo which looks like some kind of swollen cucumber in the top back of her head. She's an important character, though, as she and young Winry Rockbell are responsible for repairing the chain-metal appendages of Edward Cedric and metal damage to Edward's brother Alphonse. The two creepy characters Lust and Gluttony are still around to thwart the Cedric's bother's quest for finding or creating a philosopher's stone which the brothers need to bring back their own bodies and bring their mother back form the dead. I must read on... ( )
  SqueakyChu | May 25, 2016 |
Volume 3 has the Elric brothers finally arrive in their hometown to visit their mechanic Winry Rockbell. Their bodyguard Alexander Louis Armstrong learns along with us more details about the brothers’ past and how they came to lose their limbs, gain their new metal bodies and decide to join the military and never turn back. It’s nice to finally get some more back story on the main characters and also find out just how committed they are to their present course.

After their repairs Ed and Al return to central to look up Dr. Marcoh's old research notes just to find that the Central library has been burnt to the ground. After this loss they have a stroke of luck and end up meeting a bookworm named Sheskah who has a photographic memory and recalls perfectly everything she has ever read. She had read the research notes, but didn't recognize them for what they were as they were disguised and encrypted. Being a bookworm myself I enjoyed the scenes with Sheska and totally related with her when she lamented that sometimes it seemed the only good thing she knew how to do was read.

After deciphering the notes they discover the worst truth of all. Not only the main ingredient in a Philosopher's Stone but also the realization that the military was behind such horrible research to begin with. The truth within the truth led to more chilling discoveries that had the boys facing enemies all too recognizable and facing inner truths about their own accidental destruction of a human being and just what that means for Ed and more importantly for Al.

With this volume the focus is back on the boys and their quest, and also on the Philosopher's Stone and what sacrifices and horrors are required to attain it. Ed and Al also have a lot more problems in store as they are still dealing with the horror and repercussions of their own actions while reeling from the discovery of the military's own sinister acts.

Again, admist all the horrors, the series stays true to the characters who are just young teenage boys. They have a lot they have to come to grips with both personally from their pasts, and presently with the corruption and danger that surrounds them every day. I thought this was very well done and it is interesting to see just how much the boys have grown in some ways due to their unique circumstances, and not in others. Inside that suit of armor, attached to those intimidating automail limbs, are just two frightened boys, no matter how much they try to hide it. Though what they fear most might surprise you. ( )
  exlibrisbitsy | May 25, 2010 |
Really like this series. It continues to be good with it's hints of very, very nasty military secrets and also helps establish the brothers and their past more as well as their current "family" as it is.
  JonathanGorman | Oct 31, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,814,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible