God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons…

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Christopher Hitchens

"A case against religion and a description of the ways in which religion is man-made"--Provided by the publisher.
Member:kaa1
Title:God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
Authors:Christopher Hitchens
Info:Twelve Books (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 307 pages

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (2007)

English (180)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (185)
Christopher Hitchens is at times angry. One just has to look at the title which is meant to solely inflame. Even he knows disproving God has little purpose in debate: "We no longer have any need of a god to explain what is no longer mysterious."

Hitchens' true argument is in his subtitle. He goes to great lengths to demonstrate through out history the horrors religion has inflicted upon humanity(or, in reality, what humanity has inflicted upon itself in the name of religion) and how even today it seeks to misinform, deny, and force others to their banners either by indoctrination or fear. This is well written, intelligent, decidedly one sided, angry at times, and full of stories (both historical and recent) which should make any individual regardless of belief recoil in horror.

Hitchens' seeks for us to move beyond our need for defining god. The persistent, unending need to seek out the truth, Science, is our way forward. Faith, whether blind or questioning, is prehistory best left behind us. Ultimately, Christopher doesn't care whether an individual believes in a higher power: "What believers do, now that their faith is optional and private and irrelevant, is a matter for them. We should not care, as long as they make no further attempt to inculcate religion by any form of coercion." ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
If you identify yourself as an atheist but aren't able to clarify your arguments against religion, then God is Not Great will help strengthen your position and provide ammunition if you find yourself in a religious debate.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Mr. Hitchens and I thought it was great. I enjoy when the author reads their own work -- feels like I'm sitting in a lecture hall.

Also, if you have read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins then you may find may similar arguments here. The one difference is that where Mr. Dawkins is combative and insulting, Hitchens is smooth.

Overall great book. ( )
  ProfessorEX | Apr 15, 2021 |
I love Hitchen's writing. Witty and engaging, this is perhaps his less impressive work. It is not so much the content or the ideas, there seems to be something that is missing here. I can't quite put my finger on it, though I agree with everything he said, there was a lack of engagement. It pains me to give it only 3 stars because the work he made here is so thorough, but I found myself getting bored frequently, which is very rare when I read Hitch. ( )
  SeekingApatheia | Apr 13, 2021 |
Good book, hitting many of the same points as Dawkins in "The God Delusion," but in a less vitriolic manner. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
This is standard Hitch -- witty attacks on stuff he doesn't like, with "witty" prioritized over "fair" or "comprehensive". Very entertaining, and if you already support his positions, enjoyable. Probably not an effective method of argumentation to convince a neutral party or cause an opponent to re-evaluate beliefs in any way.

I like that Hitch read the audiobook himself, but his voice is really inefficient for 2-3x speed audiobook playback, especially over phone speaker -- he speaks words themselves quickly with long pauses between them -- so I had to listen using headphones. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
Observers of the Christopher Hitchens phenomenon have been expecting a book about religion from him around now. But this impressive and enjoyable attack on everything so many people hold dear is not the book we were expecting. . . He has written, with tremendous brio and great wit, but also with an underlying genuine anger, an all-out attack on all aspects of religion.

On the evidence of this book, Hitchens has spent too much time around religion, not too little. Like an ex-smoker who grows to loathe the habit more than those who have not tasted nicotine, he abominates God with the zealotry implicit in dictatorial faith. Anyone who has grown up in the shadow of hellfire evangelism will recognise some answering echo here. This is a papal bull for the non-believer.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian, Chris Riddell

A positive review

Christopher Hitchensprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Vicq, Fearn CutlerDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound.
-Fulke Greville, Mustapha
And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well - what matters it? Believe that, too!
-The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
(Richard Le Gallienne translation)
Peacefully they will die, peacefully they will expire in your name, and beyond the grave they will find only death. But we will keep the secret, and for their own happiness we will entice them with a heavenly and eternal reward.
-The Grand Inquisitor to his "Savior" in
The Brothers Karamazov
For Ian McEwan
In serene recollection of
La Refulgencia
If the intended reader of this book should want to go beyond disagreement with its author and try to identify the sins and deformities that animated him to write it (and I have certainly noticed that those who publicly affirm charity and compassion and forgiveness are often inclined to take this course), then he or she will not just be quarreling with the unknowable and ineffable creator who - presumably - opted to make me this way.
The voice of Reason is soft. But it is very persistent.
And here is the point, about myself and my co-thinkers. Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anthing that contradicts science or outrages reason. ("Putting it Mildly")

Hachette Book Group

5 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446579807, 1600240097, 1600245579, 0446697966, 0446552291

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,565,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible