Furia by Yamile Saied Méndez

Furia (edition 2020)

by Yamile Saied Méndez (Author)

Member:BHWolves
Title:Furia
Authors:Yamile Saied Méndez (Author)
Info:Algonquin Young Readers (2020), 368 pages
Collections:2016 books

Furia by Yamile Saied Méndez

Camila's story of following her dreams and finding her path in an environment that doesn't always value girls and women. With a domineering, abusive father, Camila keeps her playing on a girls soccer team a secret. But with her team winning the championship and qualifying for a major tournament the truth with come out.
With Spanish language and Argentinian culture woven with the text, Camila's story of dealing with poverty, romance (with an up-and-coming futbol star), family, and feminism is compelling. La Furia, her futbol persona is driven for success and by the love of the game. This drive and focus on her dream is the thing that sustains her and helps her break the cycle of hard times for her family. ( )
  ewyatt | Jul 5, 2021 |
RGG: Fantastic. So immersive. The points are clear, but not didactic. Female power. Plenty of soccer. Reading Interest: YA
  rgruberexcel | May 12, 2021 |
A sports romance with a twist: Camila loves the boy but she loves her futbol dreams more. Especially as she faces opposition from her own family and is secretly playing girls' soccer while nurturing her dream of someday playing for a U.S. professional team. It would be easy for a girl to get swept up by Diego, the local boy turned handsome, rich, international soccer star. But Camila stays grounded and true to self even when her heart breaks. The author's own passion for soccer informs Camila's story but there are also moments of swoon over Diego, making an unexpectedly solid balance of sports and romance that could appeal to a broader audience. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Apr 10, 2021 |
I can see why this book won the Pura Belpré Young Adult Award this year. Furia who is known to most as Camila, is just another girl in Argentia with dreams of making it big. For her, big is playing professional football (i.e. US Soccer). Her brother is a local semi pro player, her dad was once a player, and the boy she loves is big leagues professional player. But things where she lives are not great. Dad is abusive, mother is submissive, and girls are expected to live a traditional life. Go to school. Become a doctor. No play football. Football is for men. This is a character driven novel, and it was excellent, just not my thing. I’m an action reader and this moved much to slow for me. However, I can think of the perfect hands to place this book into when they come into the library. It totally deserves every award it receives. But for me personally, it was okay.
#BBRC - Latino in a non-issue book
#Booked2021 Latinx author
#ReadHarder - ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Feb 17, 2021 |
  BeckyatAPL | Jan 29, 2021 |
But a mermaid has no tears, and
therefore she suffers so much more.
—Hans Christian Andersen,
"The Little Mermaid"
For my daughters, Magalí and Areli,
For my sister, María Belén Saied,
For the little girl I once was,
For all las Incorregibles and las Furias of the world.
Lies have short legs.

Argentinian teen fútbol powerhouse Camila Hassan navigates her strict family life and long distance romance as her team ascends to a continental tournament.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,624,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible