I Wanna Be Where the Normal People Are

by Rachel Bloom

Rachel Bloom has created a funny and entirely relatable memoir about always feeling weird. The essays range from embarrassing moments that she lays bare for readers to her own mental health and struggle with OCD. Rachel skillfully juggles these windows into her life story all while helping readers understand that they are not alone in feeling like an outsider in a world of normal people.
The name Rachel Bloom was new to me. I have not seen Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or any of her other work. I chose to read Rachel's memoir based solely on the description (and maybe a little on the nods the cover and the title give to the 90s). The fact that I was not already aware of the author's background did not diminish my enjoyment of the book. Beyond enjoying the laughs that were offered up, I now feel more comfortable with the fact there are no "normal" people and if there are, they certainly aren't a strangely awesome as me. ( )
  Bibliophilly | Sep 21, 2021 |
Dirty, but a lot of fun. Bloom is irresistible and hilarious. ( )
  RGilbraith | May 23, 2021 |
Full disclosure: I’m a HUGE fan of Rachel Bloom and her fantastic show “Crazy Ex Girlfriend”, so when I heard she was writing a book, I immediately placed it on preorder. And then when I was selected to read an advanced copy, I may or may not have squealed in delight.
Rachel breaks down various moments of her life with her uniquely hilarious wit, even stories that featured more somber situations such as being bullied in school and her struggles with a mental health disorder. I felt like I was sitting down and having a heart to heart with a close friend, albeit one that tends to drop Broadway references and turn the story into a on-the-spot play. I admire Rachel’s honesty and it made me an even bigger fan of hers.
Even if you have never heard of Rachel Bloom, this would be an enjoyable read. Each essay is unique and features multiple quotable lines. I really enjoyed the essay from her dog Wiley’s point of view, as well as the ideas for an amusement park and of course, all the details about bringing “Crazy Ex Girlfiend” to the screen. Major props also go to the artist who chose a 1980’s Judy Blume-esque book style design for the cover. ( )
  brookiexlicious | May 5, 2021 |
I Want to Be Where the People Are

I Picked Up This Book Because: I’m a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend fan.

Media Type: Audiobook
Source: PP Library
Dates Read: 2/8/21 - 2/9/21
Stars: 3.5

The Story:

I am somewhat conflicted on this book. Though I feel like Rachel was super open and honest with letting the reader into her world I also feel like I didn’t learn anything new about her. I’m not sure what I was expecting as I rarely go into any book with expectations however I somehow feel like mine were not met. But like I said it felt open and honest and I’m sure the weirdness I’m feeling is 100% from me and not the book. Maybe this is a new stage of quarantine.

Needless to say Rachel is a powerhouse of a woman who is on the forefront of seeing female stories get told and I can’t wait to see where her career goes.

The Random Thoughts:

Challenges:

Goodreads Book Bingo 2021 - Free Space - Free Space ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Feb 11, 2021 |
One of the funniest and most irreverent memoirs I have read, and I have never even seen Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 8, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,134,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible