Dont Sweat the Small Stuff and Its Uk by…

Dont Sweat the Small Stuff and Its Uk (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Richard Carlson (Author)

From the co-author of the bestselling Handbook of the Soul comes a collection of short essays on attaining peace of mind by learning to let go of small aggravations.
Member:Fjodor
Title:Dont Sweat the Small Stuff and Its Uk
Authors:Richard Carlson (Author)
Info:Hodder Stoughton Ltd(england (1998), 272 pages

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--And It's All Small Stuff by Richard Carlson (1997)

I would call this pop psych or plain psychology; it’s similar to a sort of simple spiritual psychology, but it’s not quite the same. It’s like early Wayne Dyer (70s/80s), or Brene Brown. It’s easy to make fun of, but whatever. It’s not meant to sound difficult, but that just means that you can’t hide behind the details.

I liked the idea of allowing yourself to be bored. Sometimes your choices are to let yourself be bored or to become super-aggressive. I think that boredom can be a good supplement to meditation; a formal sitting practice is very good, but by itself it becomes just another thing to do, especially if in your main part of your life you only associate with platinum blondes and Nazi hunters, right.

.... Don’t listen to me.

.... Anyway, he does great work that doesn’t require any prerequisite reading, if you like, which has a certain attraction.

.... It’s also nice to “lighten up”, not so much by aching to have fun, but simply by keeping things in perspective.

.... I liked the personal asides as well; it fits that even a pop psych guy could have easily talked too much or got over involved with other people, and nice that he learned to ease it back a little.
  goosecap | May 19, 2021 |
"Simple ways to keep the little things from taking over your life." ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Meh. Most of the book was stuff that I'd seen or read in a million other places. Some of it was just silly (a 10 minute bath?! - that's hardly enough time to get in and adjust the temperature). It felt like the author just Googled relevant bits of wisdom and used the book to explain each bit. Many ideas were repetitive. ( )
  obtusata | Jan 9, 2020 |
The content does not match the title at all. other than the first chapter which focus on. on not sweating the small stuff, the rest of them are normal advices found in many books like be a better listener or be grateful.

The writing isn't very focused. The author mentioned lots of short tips but the author never mentioned what don't sweating the small stuff means. neither did he link his tips to small stuff ( )
  Wendy_Wang | Sep 28, 2019 |
Very easy to read and goes down smooth.

This book is a short collection of 100 pieces of advice to help you stop obsessing over little things that bring you down. Using short stories and personal pieces of advice, Dr. Carlson talks about how to maintain an even keel on this boat called life. All of his advice is pretty applicable: put yourself in the other person's shoes, stop being so reactionary, take your time, live day to day... all of this advice is quite good, and has been repeated to no end.

I guess hearing the same advice so often could make it less effective, but I really found peace of mind in this little volume. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

I dedicate this book to my daughters, Jazzy and Kenna, who remind me every day how important it is to remember not to "sweat the small stuff." I love you both so much, Thank you for being just the way you are.
Whenever we're dealing with bad news, a difficult person, or a disappointment of some kind, most of us get into certain habits, ways of reacting to life--particularly adversity--that don't server us very well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,412,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible