The Woods Are Always Watching by Stephanie…

The Woods Are Always Watching (edition 2021)

by Stephanie Perkins (Author)

Member:jenniferannwoods
Title:The Woods Are Always Watching
Authors:Stephanie Perkins (Author)
Info:Dutton Books for Young Readers (2021), 240 pages

The Woods Are Always Watching by Stephanie Perkins

Neena and Josie are two best friends who bonded over being outsiders in high school and are now are facing a future without each other, as Neena travels to the West Coast for school, seperating them by 2000 miles. Desperate for a last-minute bonding trip together, Neena and Josie decide to take a three day hike and camping through the Pisgah National Forest. What starts off as an innocent and rather inexperiencedly planned trip, suddenly turns into something far more terrifying than wither one of the girls could have possibly planned for and soon the girls are fighting for their very survival.

Both Neena and Josie are the kind of quirky, eccentric teenage protagonists outcasts that make them likeable and relateable. You can feel the tensions in their friendship as they fight to save it whilst camping in the woods. AS a reader, you feel for them and you want them to pull through to the end. Which is done throught some excellent character development on Stephanie Perkins' end.

The novel is well written and easy to follow, told through alternating viewpoints and in seperate chunks--while the characters are "together" and "apart". Which makes for an interesting read and timeline that will keep you on pins and needles from start to finish.

The story is gripping, intense, chilling, and fascinating--though not for the faint of heart. ( )
  sydnienova | Oct 1, 2021 |
I was immediately hooked on this book the moment I saw it. I love horror and scary and paranormal spooky books and this one looked absolutely perfect. The cover was absolutely beautiful and just made me want to read it even more.
This is a Young adult book (the best kind) and it is a thriller and it was actually something different for once. I quite enjoyed how our two main girls were just normal high school friends, there was no boy interference or love and I did appreciate that. Sometimes it’s just nice to read a book about friends because not all of us have live in our lives.
I don’t want to give away what happens in this book or any spoilers or anything because the suspense is part of what makes this read amazing. The suspense is amazing and well worked in, the book starts slow at first but then starts picking up really nicely until you’re absolutely lost in the book and you don’t even realize what’s going on in real life.
Overall this book is great and definitely worth the read. The characters, plot, and everything are great.
  ladybug55 | Sep 5, 2021 |
As the two friend who recently graduated from high school go hiking in the woods which seems like it will soon turn into a nightmare. Before they head off for college they decide that they will go on a hike. Best friends Neena and Josie began with some lighthearted back and forth while they are trekking as we get a little bit of backstory. They are not prepared for this hike and I am honestly feeling afraid for them. I personally feel a connection to Neena as I find her funny and relatable. Josie also seems like an interesting character from what I read so far. Some parts I read so far seem a little unrealistic such as the some of the problems they face. This book seems to be one that will be part of the horror and thriller genre.
The writing it self I feel tends to drag a little and is kind of descriptive. All in all I think that it will be a interesting book and one I plan on reading. ( )
  Amanda1419 | Sep 5, 2021 |
At first glance, this book seems to be your classic thriller-in-the-woods novel. It is definitely in the horror genre, but I found the teenage characters took me out of that mindset at points. The characters are very much the 'classic book teen', in that they act like stereotypical teenage girls in a way that is slightly annoying just for the lack of substance. That being said, I did enjoy their friendship, even though it was plagued by some unnecessary drama early on, because it added to the tension in the book.
The horror aspect was enjoyable, as the author built up suspense with each thing the characters encountered. There was also plenty of mystery and danger to keep me reading. The writing choice for the reveal of the killer was interesting, it felt a little out of place, but it did its job. Overall, it was a quick, interesting read, that fell prey to some stereotyping and cliché. ( )
  bookwormgirl1701 | Aug 25, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,470,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible