The Ickabog

by J. K. Rowling

As the legend of the fearsome Ickabog spreads terror in the peaceful kingdom of Cornucopia, best friends Bert and Daisy set out to discover the truth and bring happiness back to the kingdom.

English (21)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (25)
Is it a children’s book or an adult book? I have no idea. It was like, be a good person, don’t bully but then murder murder. I wanted to like it but I’d rate it the worst book I’ve read all year. I would never read this to a child and I will never read it again. ( )
  emcknight88 | Jan 2, 2024 |
I loved this book; it’s needed in our starkly divided political climate—for all parties. A king, especially his advisors, create a horrific backstory about the existence of ickabogs. The people are forced for various reasons to believe this story. This results in high taxes, executions, and imprisonment to prop up the lies. In true Rowling fashion, teens save the day. I’m a strong believer in a healthy distrust of those who can tax and imprison us, or in the least “ban” people and/or their beliefs, especially if we don’t toe the party line. Well written, and dark. So I wouldn’t share this with younger kids. ( )
  KarenMonsen | Nov 15, 2023 |
El ickabog
J. K. Rowling
Publicado: 2020 | 271 páginas
Novela Fantástico Infantil

Se acerca el ickabog… un monstruo legendario que amenaza un reino y que pondrá a prueba la valentía de dos chicos. Descubre una aventura sumamente original sobre el poder de la esperanza y la amistad y su triunfo contra todo pronóstico, obra de una de las mejores narradoras del mundo.El reino de Cornucopia era el más feliz del mundo. Tenía oro en abundancia, un rey con unos bigotes magníficos y un montón de carniceros, reposteros y queseros cuyos exquisitos productos hacían que la gente bailara de júbilo cuando los comía. Todo era perfecto, excepto Los Pantanos, la región del norte donde, según la leyenda, vivía el terrorífico ickabog. Sobre ese monstruo, cualquiera con un poco de cabeza sabía que no era más que una fábula que los padres utilizaban para que los niños se portaran bien. Aunque lo extraño de las fábulas es que a veces cobran vida propia…Pero ¿puede una leyenda derrocar a un rey amado por su pueblo y destruir un reino feliz? ¿Puede embarcar a dos chicos valientes en una aventura que no han buscado y ni siquiera imaginado? Si crees que tienes suficiente valor, adéntrate en las páginas de este libro para averiguarlo…
  libreriarofer | Nov 4, 2023 |
First off, I need to say that people need to CALM DOWN. I literally had a conversation with someone who was shocked I was reading this book due to J.K. Rowling's trans comments. And I challenged this person with two things: If we didn't read a book due to the author or some stance offending us....would we read anything? And then, aren't I as a librarian to at least be aware of a book I KNOW will be popular?

So yes, I read The Ickabog.

Here is the problem. Inevitably, you will compare this book to her Harry Potter series. And it is nothing like it. No spells. No Voldemort. No Hogwarts. Instead, it is the land of Cornucopia, a place known for its food. And a king who thinks he is "all that" (but he really isn't) and this mysterious "ickabog". A creature people do not believe exists and yet.....does it? Is it really something deadly and evil? Then we have four young people whose lives get altered forever by the actions of the king and his henchmen.

This story is one that teaches good versus evil, albeit differently. It teaches how one lie can lead to a myriad of lies. It challenges the perception of what is evil and dangerous. And how people can rise up for goodness and truth. Why would you NOT want to read that type of book?

The illustrations are fantastic. Yes, during Covid, J.K. Rowling had a contest where middle grade students sent in their illustrations for chapters she posed online. Imagine how cool it is for those kids to now have their pictures in print!! ( )
  msgabbythelibrarian | Jun 11, 2023 |
This is a really interesting story and while it purports to be a young adult book, the story is multidimensional and will certainly speak to adults as well. The country of Cornucopia is a wonderful place to live - it is thriving and its people are prospering and King Fred is popular and well-liked. But there is a snake in the garden, so to speak. Spittleworth and his friend, Flappoon, have ingratiated themselves to the king and are not well intentioned. They are corrupt and greedy and when fear of the legendary Ickabog reaches a dramatic climax they see their opportunity. Through a series of accidents and well-planned incidents, they manage to take control of the kingdom and soon it is no longer flourishing. But a group of kids is determined to help, but how? I generally like Rowling's writing and this one is no exception. The story reads easily and it has an interesting plot and echoes of meaning for our modern world hidden in the fairy tale. It is an interesting read. ( )
  Al-G | Apr 30, 2023 |

Fry, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pflüger, FriedrichÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trinca, JasmineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Ickabog is dedicated to:
Mackenzie Jean, who favorite story it always was and who urged me for a decade to write it up properly;

Megan Barnes and Patrick Barnes in everlasting memory of Lisa Cheesecake and the Llama;

and, of course, to two wonderful Daisies, Daisy Goodwin and Daisy Murray, proud daughters of the QSC.
Once upon a time, there was a tiny country called Cornucopia, which had been ruled for centuries by a long line of fair-haired kings.

From J.K. Rowling, a warm, fast-paced, funny fairy tale of a fearsome monster, thrilling adventure, and hope against all odds.

The kingdom of Cornucopia was once the happiest in the world. It had plenty of gold, a king with the finest moustache you could imagine, and butchers, bakers and cheesemongers whose exquisite foods made a person dance with delight when they ate them.

Everything was perfect – except for the misty Marshlands to the North which, according to legend, were home to the monstrous Ickabog. Anyone sensible knew that the Ickabog was just a myth, to scare children into behaving. But the funny thing about myths is that sometimes they take on a life of their own.

Could a myth unseat a beloved king? Could a myth bring a once happy country to its knees? Could a myth thrust two brave children into an adventure they didn’t ask for and never expected?

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,071,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible