HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Fall of Babel

by Josiah Bancroft

Series: The Books of Babel (4)

The incredible final book in the phenomenon fantasy series described as "future classics" follows one man's dangerous journey through a labyrinthine world and the mysteries he uncovers along the way. (Los Angeles Times). "Josiah Bancroft is a magician. His books are that rare alchemy: gracefully written, deliriously imaginative, action packed, warm, witty, and thought provoking." --Madeline Miller, New York Times bestselling author of Circe As Marat's siege engine bores through the Tower, erupting inside ringdoms and leaving chaos in its wake, Senlin can do nothing but observe the mayhem from inside the belly of the beast. Caught in a charade, Senlin desperately tries to sabotage the rampaging Hod King, even as Marat's objective grows increasingly clear. The leader of the zealots is bound for the Sphinx's lair and the unimaginable power it contains.  In the city under glass at the Tower's summit, Adam discovers a utopia where everyone inexplicably knows the details of his past. As Adam unravels the mystery of his fame, he soon discovers the crowning ringdom conceals a much darker secret. Aboard the State of Art, Edith and her crew adjust to the reality that Voleta has awoken from death changed. She seems to share more in common with the Red Hand now than her former self. While Edith wars for the soul of the young woman, a greater crisis looms: They will have to face Marat on unequal footing and with Senlin caught in the crossfire.  And when the Bridge of Babel is finally opened, and the Brick Layer's true ambition revealed, neither they nor the Tower will ever be the same again. Also by Josiah Bancroft: The Books of Babel Senlin Ascends Arm of the Sphinx The Hod King The Fall of Babel… (more)

What a fantastic series this has been. I don't remember the last time I read something so imaginative, so filled with insights into the nature of humanity and life, and so entertaining. All of the characters felt very well drawn and many had significant development, even over the course of this last book. Highly recommended, but of course start with book 1 in the series (Senlin Ascends). ( )
  caimanjosh | Jun 18, 2022 |
I'm not sure what it was about this one, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the earlier books and that's strange because I usually like the last book in a series (is this the last?) better than the others. I was often confused while listening. Everything was moving so fast, constant action. So much so that when the characters "split" in the end I didn't know who went where with whom. The technical aspects were very confusing, and I don't understand why Marya was so angry with Senlin. Also it seemed strange to have such a long beginning with only Adam.

Still the writing was great, the characters were great, it just kind of was a big mess of great things that didn't really work for me. I'm giving the book 3 stars because I'm assuming some of my confusion is from missing things while I was listening and doing something else at the same time. ( )
  ragwaine | Feb 9, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

We painted cavern walls to own the shadows with our palms.
We carved the ground with county lines to legislate our qualms.
We drew on heaven human shapes to stake the cosmic plot.
Man would write upon his soul if pen could reach the spot.
- Music for Falling Down Stairs by Jumet
For my untiring pioneering folks, and Maddie, my impatient adventurer.
The lightning seeded the fog with a fire that churned like a restless embryo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,751,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible