Wicked All Night

by Jeaniene Frost

I really enjoyed this book! I am a huge fan of Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress Universe and Ian has been a favorite character since his first appearance. It’s no surprise that I have been having a great time with the Night Rebel series featuring Ian’s character. I decided to start reading this book when I felt like I was starting to fall into a reading slump and it turned out that it was exactly what I needed to get back into the reading groove.

At the start of this story, Ian is in bad shape and Veritas is afraid that he isn’t going to get better. She asks for help from an unlikely source, Phanes. As payment for his help, she agrees to go to his home and this is when the trouble really starts. Ian shows up and he is rather unhappy but doesn’t hesitate to jump in and help out with the plan to rescue Veritas’s father. When they get back home, they realize that the situation is even worse than they had feared and it will take everything they have to save the world.

I found this book to be very exciting. It was fun to catch up with characters that I have grown to love in this universe and watching them flex a little muscle was like the icing on the cake. I loved the way this group of friends were able to work together as a team. There were a few times that I was worried that things would not work out the way that I hoped and I found myself reading just a little longer just to find out what happens next. It has been fun watching the relationship between Ian and Veritas grow over the course of the series. They always seem eager to protect each other but are learning to listen to each other and work as a team instead. Plus, they have fantastic chemistry.

I would highly recommend this book to others. I had a great time stepping back in the Night Huntress Universe for just a while. Ian and Veritas are fantastic lead characters and I am hoping to see more books in the Night Rebel series. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Apr 21, 2021 |
Ian and Veritas are in hiding while Veritas tries to heal Ian. She isn't being successful but her semi-fiancé Phanes can pull the spell that is killing Ian from him. He wants her to come to his world for just one night as payment neglecting to mention that time travels differently in his world.

What seems like hours to her is weeks for Ian who comes to rescue her along with her demon half-brother Ashael. Phanes says that the only way their engagement can be broken is if her father breaks it. Unfortunately, he tells her, her father is locked in the netherworld and only Veritas is able to get him out.

Phanes was lying. He needed Veritas to open the way so that he could free some minor gods who have made promises to him. They are a god of ice and cold and a god of volcanoes. Once Veritas and Ian manage to get out of the netherworld, they need to find and return those gods to their proper imprisonment.

Last time those gods got loose it took an alliance of vampires and ghouls to defeat them. It will take that again but Veritas is under death sentence from the vampire council and the vampires and the ghouls are closer to being at war than any kind of working together.

Luckily, both Veritas and Ian have allies to call on include Vlad, Bones and Cat, and Mencheres. Veritas will have to get used to working as a team after 4000 years of being on her own.

This was an entertaining story with lots of action. I liked that Veritas and Ian are getting better at their relationship which is nice since they are married. ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 4, 2021 |
Ian and Veritas finally defeated their arch nemesis, the demon Dagon, and both came out of it (mostly) unscathed. Now, they’re dealing with the fallout from Veritas tearing an opening in the netherworld and they’ve begrudgingly turned to golden-deity Phanes—who also happens to be betrothed to Veritas—for help.

When a double cross frees two gods into the world, both ready to stake their claim no matter the cost, Ian and Veritas will have to bring together vampires, ghouls, and ghosts alike to save the humanity that unites them.

Whenever a main villain is taken out before the end of a series, I’m always interested to see where the author plans the story to go next. Such is the case with Wicked All Night. The delicious twist at the end when we find out Phanes is Veritas’s betrothed was icing on the cake.

Suffice it to say, Wicked All Night starts off running and doesn’t really let up until the very end. There were honestly times I had to slow myself down while reading because I wasn’t quite ready to be done with Ian and Veritas.

Jeaniene Frost, and most especially her Night Huntress and various spinoffs, will always be an auto-read for me. Hands down, no question. While Wicked All Night kept me entertained, there’s really not so much more behind it, for me, beyond being a chance to catch up with beloved characters and see them kick a little ass. Jeaniene Frost masterly figures out how to give most everyone a cameo or a mention which is quite a feat with such an extensive list of characters. While some loose ends do get tied up, I have no doubt that we’ll see all these characters again as we have for nearing the last decade and a half so I didn’t feel much weight behind this ending as being the be-all-end-all.

Mind you, I’m writing this with the assumption that Wicked All Night ends Ian and Veritas’s trilogy. At this point that is true, but I think the phrase “Never Say Never” is always apt to add. Even if this is, in fact, the last book to feature Ian and Veritas I have no doubt that they would pop up again in any other spin off that might occur in the Night Huntress world as we’ve seen all other featured characters do. Honestly, I would love for their story to expand a few more books. They may be my favorite couple—outside of Cat and Bones of course. I feel like there are certainly more places they can go and things to explore together. Part of me wonders if Jeaniene Frost has that same feeling and that’s why Wicked All Night feels more like a bridge or breather book.

Regardless, it’s highly entertaining, fun, and fast-paced. I think there’s something to be said for getting lost in the familiar and Wicked All Night provides that. I’m extremely motivated to do a massive reread of the entire Night Huntress Universe to keep these characters with me a bit longer until we know where things are going next. ( )
  AmyM3317 | Feb 25, 2021 |
Veritas and Ian have finally defeated their worst enemy, Dagon, but the power it took to pierce through to the netherworld has unexpected consequences. Soon, Veritas is forced to rely on the last person she trusts—a golden deity named Phanes, who is her original intended betrothal.

But an escape from the netherworld—an attempt to save her missing biological father—soon pits Veritas and Ian against supernatural beings—ancient deities— seeking to rule over mortals once again. Now, they must rally friends and foes alike—while all in the midst of fighting the wedge between them that threatens to destroy their love. Can they stand together against the unearthly powers about to be unleashed? Pretty sure… yeah.

I must say, all in all, this was a decent conclusion to Ian and Veritas' story though this novel was not as fulfilling as its counterparts. The built-up to the epic climax I was anticipating fell short. The abrupt ending—WTF was that, seriously?!—was anticlimactic. If the epic battle was a tad bit more drawn out, this will surely fall in par with the other books in the series.

Despite that, I still very much enjoy this. The strong connection, commitment, chemistry, romance, and just about everything else with Van and Veritas' relationship was impeccable and definitely held this story together. The character development was an added bonus and a pleasant surprise. More so, we get to see old faces: Vlad, Cat, Bones, Spade, Mencheres, Denise, and more but the true standout character for me was Veritas' half-brother, Ashael. Every scene he appeared in—he brought the wit, the humor, the fun times. I especially loved the scene where he damn neared domesticated Naxos, a Minotaur from Phanes realm. I hope we get to see more of him (possibly a future series?) and the other characters in the great, epic fantasy world Jeannie Frost is known to create. It’s quite obvious she is not done with this series and I know there is more storytelling in store for readers. ( )
  ayoshina | Jan 6, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

To Matt, again, because of all the reasons I’ve listed before, and too many new reasons to count.
A week ago, a demon teleporting into my room would’ve sent me running for the nearest weapon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,519,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible