Book Of Merlyn by T. H. White

Book Of Merlyn (1977)

by T. H. White

Series: The Once and Future King (5)

English (27)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
While the characterizations are lovely and the final few pages are very poignant, as a book the novel is horribly hampered by White's (via his mouthpiece Merlyn) pontificating and propagandizing of his personal philosophical revelations. As a discourse, the lectures on various warfare and violence related topics are entertaining enough, but as a novel there is an utter lack of drive and flow of story (with the exception, perhaps, of the ant colony chapters, and the introdoctury and epilogue chapters providing the framewok of the book). But for any reader of "The Once and Future King", it is nevertheless deeply touching to see how White originally wished to end his epic on a heartfelt and educational note, even if he gets in hiw own way by devoting an entire book's worth of break in the narrative to do so. For the particularly interested completist, this is therefore well worth the read, but I unfortunately wouldn't recommend it as a story on its own merits. ( )
  LokiAesir | Jul 29, 2018 |
The subtitle "The Unpublished Conclusion to The Once and Future King" is ridiculous of course. I have a copy, which proves it was published. But never mind, it's sort of cute.
  Nicole_VanK | May 29, 2017 |
What an amazing book. I started reading it late last year after not having read Once and Future King for about 30 years, and it didn't quite make sense. So I re-read King and am now reading this book to finish the story.

Once again, Merlyn arrives to teach Arthur, but it is an aging King whom he sees bent over his war plans with tears on his face. Merlyn realizes that the King has forgotten the lessons of the Wart, as so many of us do when we become older and forget the beauty and joy that was sometimes in the world when we were younger. The idea of a single thing that could grab your attention to the exclusion of all else - this is a remembrance that Arthur finds when he is with the geese.

As polarized as this country is now, there are some who will object to T.H. White's thinly-veiled essays against war. The geese do not fight against their own kind just because": they see the world as one great big planet over which they fly and land when they need to. Different species share the same rock in the middle of the North Atlantic. By the same token, ants from different "tribes" will start the drumbeat and the propaganda for war the minute another ant arrives.

And of course, it is into misunderstanding and an ultimate war that Arthur faces as his reign comes to an end. He is heartbroken that his Round Table has come to its end: his best friend is exiled, his wife is trapped in the Tower of London, and his son wants to kill him. It is a tragic end to an otherwise beautiful story, and I am glad that White wrote these chapters and that they were finally published." ( )
1 vote threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
This is the fifth part of The Once and Future King that was never published with the rest of the novel. It picks up right at the end of The Once and Future King with King Arthur preparing to go to war against Mordred. Merlyn returns to him and takes him to a cave where the two men and several of the animals that Arthur learned from as a child discuss the nature of man, why men fight wars against other men, and how and if war can be eliminated.

This is my favorite of the five parts that make up White’s King Arthur story. White raises a lot of philosophical questions, but the only answer he comes to is that there is still hope for mankind. I can see how it might come across as too preachy for some people, but I don’t think it is because I see a lot of questions and very few answers. The novel is especially meaningful when you consider that it was written during and as a response to World War II. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Lovely. I might disagree wiþ some of White’s moralising þru Merlyn & Arþur, but yet it is touchingly told. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |

T. H. Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stubley, TrevorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, Syliva TownsendIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was not the Bishop of Rochester.
The New York Times bestseller...now in a beautiful new trade edition.

"And so the grand epic comes full circle, 'rounded and bright and done,' as White had wished it would be."--Boston Sunday Globe

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425038262, Mass Market Paperback)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

Follows the events of the last days of King Arthur and his magician, Merlyn, in this conclusion to "The Once and Future King." An evocative and exciting tale of wizardry and war, this magnificent fantasy of the last days of King Arthur, his faithful magician and his animal teachers, completes the tragedy and romance of T. H. White's masterpiece The Once and Future King.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,017,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible