Information: The New Language of Science by…

Information: The New Language of Science

by Hans Christian Von Baeyer

206589,569 (3.23)2
Confronting us at every turn, flowing from every imaginable source, information defines our era--and yet what we don't know about it could--and does--fill a book. In this indispensable volume, a primer for the information age, Hans Christian von Baeyer presents a clear description of what information is, how concepts of its measurement, meaning, and transmission evolved, and what its ever-expanding presence portends for the future. Information is poised to replace matter as the primary stuff of the universe, von Baeyer suggests; it will provide a new basic framework for describing and predicting reality in the twenty-first century. Despite its revolutionary premise, von Baeyer's book is written simply in a straightforward fashion, offering a wonderfully accessible introduction to classical and quantum information. Enlivened with anecdotes from the lives of philosophers, mathematicians, and scientists who have contributed significantly to the field, Information conducts readers from questions of subjectivity inherent in classical information to the blurring of distinctions between computers and what they measure or store in our quantum age. A great advance in our efforts to define and describe the nature of information, the book also marks an important step forward in our ability to exploit information--and, ultimately, to transform the nature of our relationship with the physical universe.… (more)

Interesting , but sort of all over the road. ( you could just skip to Ch 15 if you're already familiar with any of this ) ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
Brilliant book, enjoyed it tremendously. ( )
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |
Elementary sketch of information theory, although it does get into a little into quantum informatics (qubits, etc).
  fpagan | Nov 4, 2006 |
An interesting and well written book, It takes the reader chronologically through the history of the concept of information.
The pace is quite quick and Hans Christian von Baeyer skillfully puts the necessary scientific insights and backgrounds into theories without making it a heavy tome. For each classical figure in scientific history who has given us a step change, we also get a brief overview of their character and how their efforts have formalised 'information' as we see it today.
We also get the contrasts of simply measuring the bits (even q-bits) of information through to determining what we know from expressing things as huge unknowns, there is also a good section on quality of information and noise.
Later in the book we get the 'economy' of information where we try to express the most in most efficient way.
An example is the mention of Samual Morse as an inovator in the telegraphic age for the efficiency of his code (together with a background regarding his enthusiasm for expressing and informing...) Then having moved forward into our present information age of high speed processing and communications, the final chapters of the book move into the realms of quantum theory and how we may move forward again in our processing and manipulation of information in the next few decades.
A good book based on a good scientific background, but expressed in a relaxed and informal style where you feel the personal input of each person in history who has moved us forward in our insight... ( )
2 vote strangerover | Mar 31, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,669,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible