The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (original 1979; edition 1995)

by Douglas Adams

32,21960653 (4.21)1 / 1227
After Earth is demolished to make way for a new hyperspatial expressway, Arthur Dent begins to hitch-hike through space.
Member:JetSilver
Title:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (1979)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency / The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (gandalf_grey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ut.tecum.loquerer, coliemta)
    coliemta: One's more literary and the other more science-fiction-y, but they're both bizarre, hilarious and similar in feel. Most people who like one will enjoy the other.
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Good Omens is uneven in writing quality, but the flippant interactions between some of the angels and demons very much reminds me of Douglas Adams.
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : Science Fiction :: The Color of Magic : Fantasy
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (girlunderglass, catfantastic)
    girlunderglass: before The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - more than 20 years before it - there was THIS book about space travel, time travel, and the "ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything". Adams certainly borrowed a lot from Vonnegut.
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Konran)
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although Neverwhere and The Hitchhiker's Guide (THHG) are different genres (the first is urban fantasy, the second comic science-fiction) I felt there was a lot of similarity between the characters of Richard Mayhew (in Neverwhere) and Arthur Dent (in THHG). Both are a kind of everyman with whom the reader can identify and both embody a certain 'Britishness'. And they're both stonkingly good books by British authors.… (more)
    The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (fundevogel)
    Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente (Cora-R)
    Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (SandraArdnas)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Satire and humor that will split your gut. Read if you want to laugh at humanity.
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (MyriadBooks)
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: Probability broach is the story of a 20th century PI who investigates a murder that stumbles him into a place that isn't quite what it appears to be. The broach is equivalent to a Stargate or a demonstrate traveling whale.
    Alles außer irdisch by Horst Evers (Camaho)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Year Zero is a humorous science fiction book that pokes liberal fun at the current state of music copyright, but also tells a hilarious story in the process about aliens obsessed with Earth music (except for North Korea).
    Martians, Go Home by Fredric Brown (fougny)
    Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Douglas Adams's true masterpiece, albeit one of non-fiction. Far wittier and more profound than The Guide.
    Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)

1970s (1)
Read (51)

English (571)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Slovak (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (603)
The Hitchhikers’ Guide to the Galaxy has been on TBR bookshelf for several years after a student in my creative writing class recommended it, but not until recently did I get to it, and am I glad I finally did! The audiobook version is entertaining, with the voice actor, Stephen Fry, doing an excellent job of creating a distinct voice for each character. The book is well written and fun to read, with surprising plot twists that are never predictable, and characters that are quirky and memorable. My former student loaned me the complete guide with all five books, and I can’t wait to dive into the other four to discover whatever worlds and scenarios await me. Listening to the book, I felt like I was hitchhiking my way across the universe and into previously undiscovered worlds. ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |
Meh ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 13, 2020 |
I suppose there comes a time when most people come across a book that has been universally acclaimed but they just cannot see what even a tenth of the fuss was about.

This that book for. I honestly cannot see what the 5 star reviews saw that I didn't. I found the plot boring, the jokes unfunny and reading it was more painful than dragging my nutsack over twenty yards of broken glass.

I love science fiction/fantasy books, I also like comedy books.... maybe I struggle with the combination of the two? I just felt as if it was trying to be too clever and the humour just seemed a bit pointless and mostly passed me by:

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.”

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

Urgh...

Anyway, I know I am in the minority and it is a very small majority, but this tale of Arthur Dent and his quest to find the legendary planet of Magrathea following the Earths destruction, just didn't do it for me.

Maybe 42 was the page I should have stopped reading at. ( )
2 vote Bridgey | Aug 24, 2020 |
Humorous and great ( )
  MarianneAudio | Aug 23, 2020 |
This was a fun little read with a lot of character. After hearing about this book for years I was surprised to see it was one in a series. I realise now that when people say “you should read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy” they mean the series and not the book. I was somewhat disappointed that the story didn’t have a resolution because I’m not sold on continuing the series.

I feel rather terrible giving such a highly loved book 3 stars but I didn’t find there was anything outstanding about it. Adams was a joyful writer though and while I had a great time reading about Arthur and his companions I thought the book overall didn’t deliver. I understand why this book thrived in the 80s and maybe I would have loved it more if I was a kid in that generation.

I think ultimately I was expecting something that this book was never going to deliver. It rating on the humour alone I think I would have rated it a 4 ( )
  mackinsquash | Aug 15, 2020 |
Humorous science fiction novels have notoriously limited audiences; they tend to be full of ''in'' jokes understandable only to those who read everything from Jules Verne to Harlan Ellison. The ''Hitchhiker's Guide'' is a delightful exception, being written for anyone who can understand the thrill that might come to a crew of interstellar explorers who discover a mysterious planet, dead for five million years, and then hear on their ''sub etha'' radio a ghostly voice, hollow, reedy, insubstantial: ''Greetings to you. ... This is a recorded announcement, as I'm afraid we're all out at the moment. ...''

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Don't Panic
for
Johnny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow star.
Don't Panic
If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
For thousands of years, the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across—which happened to be the Earth—where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
Life! Don't talk to me about life.
[Book 1 Only] "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is the title of the first in a series of novels (as well as the first in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy." Do not combine it with the graphic novel adaptation.

Adams, Douglas, 1952-2001.
Γυρίστε τον γαλαξία με ωτοστόπ / Douglas Adams · μετάφραση Δημήτρης Αρβανίτης. - 1η έκδ. - Αθήνα : Ars Longa, 1987. - 162σ. · 22x12.2εκ. - (Γυρίστε τον Γαλαξία με Ωτοστόπ · 1)
gre
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 1979
ISBN 978-960-6868-64-1 (Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) [Εξαντλημένο]
823.914
Arthur's drab lifestyle/The answer is forty two/What is the question?
(hreilly)
Wet, McKenna muttered
A curse up to God;
The clouds laughed.
Shall we hitchhike space?

Let's, for to stay here on Earth

Is mostly harmless.

(benscripps)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,708,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible