Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn

Romancing Mr. Bridgerton (edition 2006)

by Julia Quinn

Penelope Featherington has secretly adored her best friend's brother for...well, it feels like forever. After half a lifetime of watching Colin Bridgerton from afar, she thinks she knows everything about him, until she stumbles across his deepest secret...and fears she doesn't know him at all. Colin Bridgerton is tired of being thought nothing but an empty-headed charmer, tired of everyone's preoccupation with the notorious gossip columnist Lady Whistledown, who can't seem to publish an edition without mentioning him in the first paragraph. But when Colin returns to London from a trip aboard he discovers nothing in his life is quite the same -- especially Penelope Featherington! The girl haunting his dreams. But when he discovers that Penelope has secrets of her own, this elusive bachelor must decide...is she his biggest threat -- or his promise of a happy ending?… (more)
Member:littlebookworm
Title:Romancing Mr. Bridgerton
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Piatkus Books (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:historical romance, read 2009

Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn

English (74)  Italian (1)  All languages (75)
So far, this was definitely the weakest instalment in the otherwise amusing Bridgertons series.

The story isn’t really that interesting and the narrative dragged on rather uninspired so that I was actually bored at times which isn’t exactly my intention when reading a fluffy easy-to-read romance.

What annoyed me the most, though, and made me almost quit this book was Colin Bridgerton himself. So, you know, this series of books is set in the early 19th century and, fortunately, as a society we’ve made a lot of progress - Women’s suffrage, emancipation, feminism, and so on.

And I’m really happy about that.

Thus, I already have to temporarily suspend a lot of truly heartfelt convictions and disengage large parts of my brain in order to be able to enjoy this kind of book: I have to completely disregard more than 100 years of social, societal and emancipatory advances.

I do so and, consequently, tolerate a whole lot of outdated nonsense and I find that all the more difficult if a book isn’t truly worth it. I can do it because I love to giggle at amusing, witty bantering in a love story which, fortunately, happens a lot in the Bridgerton series. I can do it because I truly hope that any reader will know that the story is set in the bad old times and that times have greatly changed for the better.

And I do temporarily suspend my convictions because I crave happy endings - sorry, can’t help it.

How dare you, though, Colin Bridgerton, to be angry at your love interest because she's acting on her own, because she’s at least somewhat independent?! How dare you berate her for having a secret?!

How dare you, Julia Quinn, to belittle your cast and, in extension, yourself and your audience like that?! (Not to speak of actually harmfully influencing younger, impressionable readers.)

At the one major altercation between Colin and Penelope, I was about to rage-quit because I just couldn’t stand that level of drivel.

And it went on!

»The shock was gone, replaced by a simple, primitive need to claim her, to brand her, to mark her as his.«

Excuse me?! He wants to “brand her”, like cattle?! And how does Penelope react only a little later, thinking about herself?

»She had been born for this man«

Again, I was about to quit when things evened a little out at least and this possessive crap was slightly reigned in.

Ultimately, though, Colin Bridgerton turns out to be just the despicable guy I had him pegged for:

»She had no right to put herself in such a precarious position without consulting him first. He was her husband, or would be, and it was his God-given duty to protect her whether she desired it or not.«

I just hope this series doesn’t get any lower than this because I don’t think I can take much more of this kind of backwards madness.

Two out of five stars.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram ( )
  philantrop | Jul 29, 2021 |
I liked this one better than the others, but only because Penelope is one of my favorite characters. Colin got a bit tiring with his self-pity about not being as accomplished as Lady Whistledown, but eventually got over it. ( )
  sanyamakadi | May 29, 2021 |
I was so ready for this book! Before I read the series - I watched the Netflix show and I ADORED PENELOPE. I wanted to see her snag Colin Bridgerton soo bad. Imagine my delight when I realized that this fourth installment follows the man himself, Colin, and the woman he may or may not be fast friends with, Penelope. In this book we also get a major shocking reveal that impacts the whole Bridgerton universe, we discover the identity of Lady Whistledown (again if you watched the show - they already gave that away). A slow burn and for two of my favorite characters. I love this whole series and I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  ecataldi | May 20, 2021 |
When I read this, I hadn't read the previous three novels in the series (and so the anticipation surrounding the identity of Whistledown wasn't as heightened in me), but regardless, it was a very delightful read! It was a very sweet romance.

It was a nice read. I went and got more in the series. :) ( )
  amybear | May 8, 2021 |
I liked the book up until towards the end when the Lady Whistledown stuff needed to be resolved. I really didn't care about that so much and Colin was making it into too big of an issue. I loved the character of Penelope and I'm glad she got her happiliy ever after. ( )
  sdbookhound | Apr 22, 2021 |

Quinn, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brito, AmeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deppisch, M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desthuilliers, CécileTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lingsminat, Petrasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zvěřinová, ZdeňkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the women on avonloop, colleagues and friends all--thanks for giving me someone to talk to all day long. Your support and friendship have meant more to me than I could ever say.
And for Paul, even though the closest thing you'd ever find to a romance in his field is a lecture called "The Kiss of Death."
On the sixth of April, in the year 1812--precisely two days before her sixteenth birthday--Penelope Featherington fell in love.
" I love you," he said, leaning forward to kiss her. And this time she couldn't reply, because his mouth remained on hers, hungry, demanding, and very, very seductive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,136,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible