dismiss

Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family…

Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most… (edition 2020)

by Mary L. Trump Ph.D. (Author)

Member:Molly3028
Title:Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man
Authors:Mary L. Trump Ph.D. (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2020), Edition: 1, 240 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Kindle eBook

Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man by Mary L. Trump

Enlightening and eye-opening Mary Trump has written an account of the 'Donalds' upbringing, the family source of his narcissism.
It was his father Fred who instilled in his 2nd son the practice of divide and conquer, but only after the total destruction of his eldest, and namesake Frederick. Cruelty and bullying became an integral part of Donalds being. Multiple failures and bankruptcies aside, his father knowingly propped up the acknowledged family moron to save face.
Mary Trump is an intelligent woman, with a PHD in clinical psychology. This book was not written out of spite, but rather as a warning of what will be. ( )
  linda.marsheells | Aug 7, 2020 |
So I have mixed views on this book. Billed as a clinical psychologists insight into the Trump family politics and the formation of Donald Trump as we see him today, I was super excited to get a hold of of it and see what went on behind the scenes. However I don't think this book quite lives up its own billing (which seems a bit ironic).

This reads as more of a family biography than it does a clinical discussion of what events made "Donald, and the rest of her clan, tick". In part that is what I like about it. I find biographies very fascinating and there were many stories and tidbits of family history that were interesting and enlightening. Occasionally Mary offers up a direct psychological evaluation of an event that she assumes helped shape the president (and family) and I found those to be enlightening as well.

However, there are no interviews with other family members (ie. the other psychologist in the family David, whom she mentions, or any of Trumps siblings), no family anecdotes from anyone else, no family diaries (which if Trump Sr. or Gams had kept would have been a great addition). There are no documented sources, which if you are leaning more towards a biography of the family (which I feel this book was), leaves it feeling empty and one sided. Additionally, Mary come off as an unreliable narrator. In part because there are no other sources or interviews to back up her but also because of a seeming "poor little rich girl complex". Now don't get me wrong I don't know the details of Mary's life, but it seems pretty polarizing to count yourself as pennyless yet have a trust fund, no loans for college, and have gone to a private school. Pennyless by who's standards?! And the apartment that she describes, that her mother lived in, as horrible because of the dust on the fake flowers.... I mean, if that was the only thing to complain about....I doubt that it was really all that bad.

Overall, I did find it to be a quick and interesting read. It just fell way short of my expectations and really didn't live up to its own premise. I don't feel that I understand what made the president or the Trump family any more than I did before I read this. ( )
  Fireformed | Aug 7, 2020 |
Very interesting and very tragic. A family full of dysfunction. It helps to understand how DJT became the person he became. One may feel sorry for that young boy, but I cannot bring myself to feel sorry for the monster that he became no matter what the reasons. My heart hurt for Mary, though. That she wasn't able to see her father one last time. That she was cut off by the family that more or less killed her father. That her grandmother turned her back on her despite Mary showing more kindness toward her than anyone else in that horrid family. It all seems so sordid and sad. Kudos to Mary for not conveying the impression that she was feeling sorry for herself. It would have been easy to devolve into a pity party. I would likely have given the book 5 stars if she had fleshed out things a little bit more. It really felt a bit sparse in details in several places. But the psychological information was very good and very helpful. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 6, 2020 |
Great as a psychology book. Interesting and poignant autobiography & biography of a family.

I enjoyed the writing style and think that the book is mostly well written.

That the case subject in the title of the book currently wields so much power is alarming.

There was nothing included that was surprising to me but the background information was exceedingly helpful for understanding and most of it I hadn’t known.

Her shocked reaction election night was similar to mine and to that of most of the people I know.

There isn’t much “there” there when it comes to Donald Trump so thankfully this book is not only about him. A lot of this story is interesting. I read it as an autobiography (Mary's) and the biography of her extended family. It's not all Donald all the time. Frankly, there isn't “enough” of him to really make a book. What’s there is creepy, infuriating, tragic, annoying, nothing good. I don’t know what else to say about that except that as I read I found it depressing, demoralizing, infuriating, scary, and incredibly sad, and grateful that it was written & published.

Mary Trump has cause to feel bitter and sorrowful. Anybody capable of empathy (not her uncle or grandfather) will feel for her and will feel for all the people who’ve suffered because of Donald and others in the family. That goes for the suffering of the now millions/perhaps billions Impacted by the current United States Presidential administration. My heart broke many times over for several specific people.

Even if Donald were a nobody and this family was unknown with no celebrities it would be an fascinating book and would be worthwhile to read.

This book is as much about the author Mary and especially her father and also her mother, brother, and nephew, and her grandfather/Donald’s father, and quite a few others. As I read I thought more about them than I did about Donald and also more about the bullies and sadists who’ve impacted my life and most of all those voters who didn’t vote for Hillary in 2016 (our only alternative) and those who still support Trump. I hope that people in those latter two groups of people read this book, follow legitimate news, and educate themselves before the 2020 election. I also continued to think a lot about most of our politicians and most media and how they are not doing proper jobs when it comes to containing Donald and reporting about him.

While this is valuable as a personal account it is also well researched. I appreciated the index in the back of the book. The fact that the author is a firsthand witness and also is a professional psychologist gives her analysis and observations additional validity.

This is a topical book and it is up to date within a month or two up to date as of now.

I highly recommend this book to all readers of non-fiction no matter what their political and other beliefs or what they think of Donald Trump. I believe that more understanding of people and situations is always better than ignorance. It doesn’t even matter what readers’ politics are because this isn’t an inherently political book. It’s a book about the destructiveness and dangerousness of many members of a dysfunctional family. I also suggest reading other reviews of this book. (Spoilers are really not a problem with this sort of account, in my opinion.) I particularly appreciated Caroline’s excellent review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3403882523?book_show_action=false&from... ( )
  Lisa2013 | Aug 5, 2020 |
Just goes to show how parents can destroy a child. Unfortunately, this book does not make me like him any more than I did before which was not at all. This man should not be president.
Mary Trump did a great job of compiling family history into a very readable book.
Such a dysfunctional family. I can now see why he is the way he is, it is always 'what about me"? Me me me. The father Fred was a very not nice person so I can understand where Trump got it from. A family that let Trump do whatever he wanted with no consequences. His mother was not much better.
I am glad I read the book, is all of it believable? Who knows? The book gives the reader a glimpse into the Trump empire. ( )
  celticlady53 | Aug 1, 2020 |
But the most interesting assessments she offers are reserved for those inside the “institutions,” the people who might have saved us and certainly have not, from the nuclear family, to the Trump businesses, to New York’s bankers and powerful elites, to Bill Barr, Mike Pompeo, and Jared Kushner. They all knew and know that the emperor has no clothes, even as they devote their last shreds of dignity to effusive praise of his ermine trim and jaunty crown....
As she concludes, his sociopathy “reminds me that Donald isn’t really the problem at all.” That makes hers something other than the 15th book about the fathoms-deep pathologies of Donald Trump: It is the first real reckoning with all those who “caused the darkness.”
added by 2wonderY | editSlate.com, Dahlia Lithwick (Jul 13, 2020)

If the soul is left in darkness, sins will be committed.
The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but the
one who causes the darkness.
                                    ---Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
For my daughter, Avary,
              and
            my dad
I'd always liked my name.
The lies may become true as soon as he utters them, but they're still lies.  It's just another way for him to see what he can get away with. And so far, he's gotten away with everything.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,035,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible