Klara and the Sun: A novel by Kazuo Ishiguro

Klara and the Sun: A novel (edition 2021)

by Kazuo Ishiguro (Author)

1,9021176,860 (3.91)1 / 163
Member:Kheiman1
Title:Klara and the Sun: A novel
Authors:Kazuo Ishiguro (Author)
Info:Knopf (2021), Edition: First Edition, 320 pages

Work Information

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro

Recently added byFeathered-Friend, laze, txorig, joshnyoung, TurtleWave, NadyCG, JenMDB, PABR, private library
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (JGoto)
    JGoto: Style and themes are similar in both of these novels by Ishigura.
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (Othemts)

English (114)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (117)
My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy!
  booklover3258 | Jan 15, 2022 |
Ishiguro is hit or miss for me, so I was a little skeptical going into this one as to whether or not it'd be one of the ones I'd enjoy - ultimately, my sister made the decision for me when she gifted me this book for the holidays!

I see that I might be in the minority in that I actually liked Klara, though not for the reasons oft-repeated in the novel. I didn't find her particularly bright or observant, despite what some of the characters might say about her. But I liked her well enough that I was rooting for her, even in the parts where she seemed almost too naive to be believable.

Most of my complaints about the novel come down to wanting more. I wanted more from Klara (and more for Klara), I wanted more from the story, and I wanted more from the peripheral characters. If I enjoyed Klara, I found the rest of the characters blah at best and quite underdeveloped at worst. I found myself thinking as I read that things were occurring with a layer of haze between myself and the story - perhaps that is how Klara is meant to be feeling, but I also got the sense that this was an effect from the other characters. They weren't vivid, and if that is how Klara is meant to be seeing them, I wish that had been more clear. But as it is, I just found I really didn't care about the plight of anyone but Klara.

I'm glad I read this book, because I did enjoy Klara as a character. I just wish Ishiguro had done more with her, or made her environment all that more vivid for the limited amount of time she had on the page. ( )
  bumblybee | Jan 10, 2022 |
I really wanted to give this book three stars but ultimately I found it to be disappointing. While I understand the story was told through the eyes of Klara and her limited knowledge and perspective, there were too many things introduced and left unexplained for my liking. ( )
  read4thefunofit | Jan 8, 2022 |
A rich and thought-provoking futuristic tale of the human heart and the modern world. ( )
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
In de licht dystopische roman voert Ishiguro een balanseer act uit op de rand van kitch. Hij slaagt er echter op een uitzonderlijke wijze in om in evenwicht te blijven. Klara en de zon is een zeer geslaagde, enigszins verontrustende en gelaagde nieuwe roman van de meesterverteller en Nobelprijswinnaar…lees verder>

Most of Ishiguro’s novels are slender books that are more complicated than they at first seem; Klara and the Sun is by contrast more simple than it seems, less novel than parable. Though much is familiar here—the restrained language, the under-stated first-person narration—the new book is much more overt than its predecessors about its concerns.... Ishiguro is unsentimental—indeed, one of the prevailing criticisms of him is that he’s too cold, his novels overly designed, his language detached. (Some of the worst writing on Ishiguro ascribes this to his being Japanese, overlooking that he’s lived in England since he was a small child.) In most hands, this business of the mother-figure who sacrifices all for a child would be mawkish. Here it barely seems like metaphor. Every parent has at times felt like an automaton. Every parent has pleaded with some deity for the safety of their child. Every parent is aware of their own, inevitable obsolescence. And no child can offer more than Josie’s glib goodbye, though perhaps Ishiguro wants to; the book is dedicated to his mother.

It explores many of the subjects that fill our news feeds, from artificial intelligence to meritocracy. Yet its real political power lies not in these topical references but in its quietly eviscerating treatment of love. Through Klara, Josie, and Chrissie, Ishiguro shows how care is often intertwined with exploitation, how love is often grounded in selfishness ... this book focuses on those we exploit primarily for emotional labor and care work—a timely commentary during a pandemic in which the essential workers who care for us are too often treated as disposable ... If Never Let Me Go demonstrates how easily we can exploit those we never have to see, Klara and the Sun shows how easily we can exploit even those we claim to love ... a story as much about our own world as about any imagined future, and it reminds us that violence and dehumanization can also come wrapped in the guise of love.

... the real power of this novel: Ishiguro’s ability to embrace a whole web of moral concerns about how we navigate technological advancements, environmental degradation and economic challenges even while dealing with the unalterable fact that we still die.... tales of sensitive robots determined to help us survive our self-destructive impulses are not unknown in the canon of science fiction. But Ishiguro brings to this poignant subgenre a uniquely elegant style and flawless control of dramatic pacing. In his telling, Klara’s self-abnegation feels both ennobling and tragic.

Critics often note Ishiguro’s use of dramatic irony, which allows readers to know more than his characters do. And it can seem as if his narrators fail to grasp the enormity of the injustices whose details they so meticulously describe. But I don’t believe that his characters suffer from limited consciousness. I think they have dignity. Confronted by a complete indifference to their humanity, they choose stoicism over complaint. We think we grieve for them more than they grieve for themselves, but more heartbreaking is the possibility that they’re not sure we differ enough from their overlords to understand their true sorrow. And maybe we don’t, and maybe we can’t. Maybe that’s the real irony, the way Ishiguro sticks in the shiv.... In Klara and the Sun, Ishiguro leaves us suspended over a rift in the presumptive order of things. Whose consciousness is limited, ours or a machine’s? Whose love is more true? If we ever do give robots the power to feel the beauty and anguish of the world we bring them into, will they murder us for it or lead us toward the light?

Kazuo Ishiguroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Siu, SuraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my mother
Shizuko Ishiguro
(1926-2019)
When we were new, Rosa and I were mid-store, on the magazines table side, and could see through more than half of the window.
We're both of us sentimental. We can't help it. Our generation still carry the old feelings. A part of us refuses to let go. The part that wants to keep believing there's something unreachable inside each of us. Something that's unique and won't transfer. But there's nothig like that, we know that now. (68%)
Mr Capaldi believed there was nothing special inside Josie that couldn’t be continued. He told the Mother he’d searched and searched and found nothing like that. But I believe now he was searching in the wrong place. There was something very special, but it wasn’t inside Josie. It was inside those who loved her. (98%)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,881,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible