Shakespeare in Love: A Screenplay by Marc…

Shakespeare in Love: A Screenplay

by Marc Norman, Tom Stoppard

248468,850 (4)5

Funny and clever and well plotted, with lots of good riffs on Shakespeare and theatre. And avoids the cliched happy ending (I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!) ( )
  atreic | Feb 18, 2015 |
Somehow, I think this is one of those situations where Marc Norman wrote a screenplay, Tom Stoppard came in and made it awesome, and the WGA/contracts gave them equal writing credit. Because this is not a Stoppard script. There are moments of Stoppard awesome, and I don't want to suggest it isn't a witty, fun script, but it is not a Stoppard script.

(I sekritly love this movie a lot, even through Paltrow's frankly disappointing performance. Everyone else is delightful.) ( )
  cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |
Drama is Like Life,Life is Like a Drama

Maybe because I know Shakespeare not much, when I was watching the movie Shakespeare in love, I thought it’s a real story happened in history. After searching and reading related resources, I just know that the story about Shakespeare in the movie is made up. This makes me begin to think about the story.
In the movie, a young guy falls in love with a young beautiful woman. However, the young guy has been married and the young woman is going to marry with the other one under the arrangement of her parents. The young guy so miss the young woman that he go to see her beneath her window. When I got here, I thought the plot is so familiar and maybe I have read the story before. Immediately, I realized that it just like the plot of Shakespeare’s famous play--Romeo and Juliet. Just when I wonder whether the scriptwriter of Shakespeare in love plagiarize the script of Romeo and Juliet, at the same time, I have to say this idea is amazing and genius. If I were the scriptwriter to write a story about Shakespeare but I can never think up words and sentences as gorgeous as Shakespeare wrote, I think it’s not a trick but a great idea to borrow a part of plot and words from this great writer’s great writing—Romeo and Juliet. Besides, this movie was born from an interesting idea that only a person in a passionate love can write a love story like Romeo and Juliet.
Like more than 1000 readers at heart, 1000 Hamlet, each reader has its own Romeo and Juliet in the mind. This movie just shows viewers one kind of Romeos and Juliets in the bodys’ of Shakespeare and Olivia in movie makers’ mind. Drama is like life. How could we know if there are thousands of love stories like Romeo and Juliet having happened or still happening in our real lives?
After the similar plot in the first half part, we see a total different ending in the movie. Even if this “Romeo” and this “Juliet” not die, even if Olivia don’t need to marry duke any more, they still separate from each other. That means, a drama is not a story that can be imagined as you like. Think about real life. Even though they can be together in the end of movie, years later, they may lose feeling to each other, Shakespeare may go to chase other girls and Olivia may have a affair with other guy. That’s real life, but is still often seen in dramas.
Drama is Like Life,Life is Like a Drama ( )
  CathySSS | Jul 2, 2011 |
See the movie -- read the script! And, actually, this script proves the axiom that if it's not on the page it's not on the stage. ( )
  pzmiller | Mar 9, 2008 |

Norman, Marcprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stoppard, Tommain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the screenplay, not the movie.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786884851, Hardcover)

Tom Stoppard has always had an ear for the Bard, stretching back to his surreal and hilarious early plays Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, Dogg's Hamlet, and Cahoots Macbeth. For those who have already seen the film Shakespeare in Love, this screenplay offers a chance to savor Stoppard's exuberant collaboration with the renowned screenwriter Marc Norman. The result gives us, among many other things, a dog, Hamlet, Kit Marlowe, Elizabeth I, and probably one of the best screenplays in modern cinema based on Shakespeare.

The pace of the script, from its opening long shot of London in 1593 to the final shot of Viola walking off into her brave new world, is breathtaking. The verbal fireworks and Shakespearean borrowings are not only worthy of the Bard himself, but perfectly re-create the conditions of the Elizabethan theater. The jokes and allusions fly thick and fast, often straining the agility of even the most nimble Shakespeare scholar, but at the heart of the screenplay is both a compelling love story and an ingenious perspective on the inspiration behind both Romeo and Juliet and Twelfth Night. A wonderful piece of writing--long may Shakespeare in Love keep the Bard in fashion! --Jerry Brotton, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:20 -0400)

The screenplay to the critically acclaimed film which New York Newsday called one of the funniest, most enchanting, most romantic, and best written tales ever spun from the vast legend of Shakespeare." Marc Norman and renowned dramatist, Tom Stoppard have created the best screenplay of the year according to the Golden Globes and the New York Film Critics Circle.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,078,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible