Earth by David Brin

Earth (original 1990; edition 1990)

by David Brin

1,764None3,972 (3.85)93
Member:reading_fox
Title:Earth
Authors:David Brin
Info:Spectra (1990), paperback
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Your library, Science fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:!bri, science fiction, use, lab lit

Earth by David Brin (1990)

1990 (7) biology (6) black holes (20) Brin (10) David Brin (8) ebook (6) ecology (19) environment (19) environmentalism (7) fantasy (13) fiction (156) future (8) Gaia (14) global warming (15) hard sf (6) hardcover (16) Hugo Nominee (10) mmpb (9) near future (20) novel (35) own (13) paperback (15) read (38) science fiction (471) sf (106) sff (24) signed (12) speculative fiction (6) to-read (17) unread (14)
    The Forge of God by Greg Bear (one-horse.library)
    Air by Geoff Ryman (psybre)
    psybre: A masterfully-written fiction that looks at the impact of the internet and technology from the lens of a third-world community, "Earth" on a more personal, microcosmic scale.
    Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (freddlerabbit)
    Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner (Sassm)
    Sassm: Both books are set in a 'near future' environment and (incidentally to the main plots) have a jolly good go at predicting how communication technology will shape society. The books are very different, but the similarities are such that a reader who was interested by Earth will probably also be intrigued by the much earlier book Stand on Zanzibar.… (more)

English (33)  Italian (1)  All languages (34)
bookshelves: published-1990, sci-fi, environmental-issues, winter-20132014, tbr-busting-2014, fraudio, epic-proportions, dystopian, desert-regions, lifestyles-deathstyles
Read from December 18, 2013 to January 11, 2014

Description: Set in the year 2038, the book is a cautionary tale of the harm humans can cause their planet via disregard for the environment and reckless scientific experiments. The book has a large cast of characters and Brin uses them to address a number of environmental issues including endangered species, global warming, refugees from ecological disasters, ecoterrorism, and the social effects of overpopulation. The plot of the book involves an artificially created black hole which has been lost in the Earth's interior and the attempts to recover it before it destroys the planet. The events and revelations which follow reshape humanity and its future in the universe.

A formerly restrained singularity has broken loose and is comfortably nestled in the earth's core EATING THE PLANET FROM THE INSIDE OUT. nom nom nom. Bring new meaning to Hitler's beloved Hollow Earth Theory:

@25% point: A BIG read/listen that has me in its grips. Not a regular customer of sci-fi yet once into an epic such as this, I'm away.

@100% Scary storyline; it's dystopian sci-fi so I expected to be disconcerted, however events caught my horror bone in a vice. Loses a star because Brin's characters didn't jump out off the page and into believable people.

Singularly(!) recommended.

Crossposted:
Wordpress
Booklikes
LeafMark
Librarything
aNobii ( )
  mimal | Jan 12, 2014 |
This is pretty "Hard" science fiction, but I did have a good time learning something about black holes. David Brin writes rather better than many who make a living in this genre. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 15, 2013 |
I read this back in highschool, and so along with the other 2 Brin books, [b:Earthclan|101887|Earthclan|David Brin|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1171482058s/101887.jpg|98228], I decided to re-read them all.

Sadly, this was so filled with Brin's earth philosophy that the story was barely there.

It was pretty cool overall, gravity lasers, etc.

But Dear Lord, the proselytizing that went on.

I am glad I've re-read these 3 books, but I won't be reading them again, or any other of Brin's books. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
A solid work of speculative near-future sci fi, but somehow I had a hard time staying interested in it. It's somewhat dated now and the environmentalism feels heavy-handed. I found the number of different characters and narrative threads annoying, even though they were skillfully written and came together satisfyingly at the end. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
Arg! I don't care about any of these people. Also, casual misogyny for the lose. You try to tell me this is a future on limited resources, but she has plants watered?! And orange juice from Oregon brought to her in Texas?! Give me a break.
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, DennisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To our common mother
First came a supernova, dazzling the universe in brief, spendthrift glory before ebbing into twisty, multispectral clouds of new-forged atoms.

A microscopic black hole has accidently fallen into the Earth's core and the entire planet is in danger of being destroyed within two years.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible