The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody…

The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody Book 5) (original 1988; edition 2017)

by Elizabeth Peters (Author)

When the body of a night watchman is found sprawled in the shadow of a rare 19th-Dynasty mummy case, panic ensues. No one doubts that the guard's untimely demise is the work of an ancient Egyptian curse. No one, that is, except that tart-tongued Victorian Egyptologist, Amelia Peabody, whose remarkable talent for criminal investigation has frustrated villains from London to Cairo. Now fresh from her daring exploits in exotic Egypt, Amelia, her sexy archaeologist husband, Emerson, and their catastrophically precocious son, Ramses, have returned to their native England just in time to get wrapped up in the intrigue. It's a mystery worthy of Amelia's superior sleuthing, but can she elude the vile clutches of the real perpetrator long enough to uncover his identity?… (more)
Member:Sarah-2
Title:The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody Book 5)
Authors:Elizabeth Peters (Author)
Info:MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (2017), 483 pages

Work Information

The Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters (1988)

English (44)  French (1)  All languages (45)
The Emersons are absent from Egypt in the fifth novel in Elizabeth Peters’ delightful mystery series. The book opens with the appearance of Amelia’s awful brother showing up on her doorstep asking for her to take care of his two children – Violet and Percy – for the summer. Against her better judgement, Amelia agrees. Percy, who is a toady obviously up to no good, and Ramses hate each other on sight. Violet is a spoiled, simpering brat who eats too much and flies into hysterics at a moment’s notice. But meanwhile, there is apparently a “curse” on a mummy at the British Museum and a guard turns up dead. Amelia and Emerson are on a hunt for the killer that ;leads them to an opium den where Radcliffe encounters someone from his past.

As usual, these books read like the female version of a young boys adventure and are great fun. ( )
  etxgardener | Sep 7, 2022 |
Synopsis: Summer in London isn't pleasant simply because of the air pollution mixed with the fog. Peabody's brother asks that the Emersons host his children for the summer; Ramses isn't pleased, but continues to work on his experiments as well as keeping abreast of the goings-ons of his parents. Murders occur in and near the British Museum, pulling Emerson and Amelia into the mystery. Drugs and debauchery figure into the murders, along with involvement of some of the Royals. A woman from Emerson's past emerges.
Review: This was very verbose, and not just from Ramses. The final chapter was given over to explaining the outcome; I wasn't enamored of this bit of writing. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 22, 2021 |
If all the Amelia Peabody books were available in audiobook format from my library, that might be all I'd read for a while! :) What does that tell you? Still loving these books many years after the first time I read them. ( )
1 vote sdramsey | Dec 14, 2020 |
Though I know some people love this series, I just can't get into the writing style. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
I liked it

Well of course I liked it, curse it!

And well I should have. I hate to think what vulgar fate may have befallen me if I hadn't.

Fun read as always - looking forward to a return to the shifting sands

FlorienStJohn | Jun 3, 2020 |

Longo, IgorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Malley, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piccioli, Maria BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
His sister was his protector,
She who drives off the foe,
Who foils the deeds of the disturber,
By the power of her utterance,

The clever-tongued, whose speech fails not,
Admirable in the words of command.
Mighty Isis!

"Hymn to Osiris," Eighteenth Dynasty
To Charlotte MacLeod,
My favorite mystery writer and dainty little lady
In a great many respects I count myself among the most fortunate of women.

Poudre de momie
Peut sauver le comte à Londres
Meurtres, faux prêtres, opium
(Tiercelin)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,266,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible