Bridgerton: The Duke and I (Bridgertons Book…

Bridgerton: The Duke and I (Bridgertons Book 1) (edition 2015)

by Julia Quinn (Author)

Series: Bridgertons (1)

Simon Basset, the irresistible Duke of Hastings, has hatched a plan to keep himself free from the town's marriage-minded society mothers. He pretends to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton. After all, it isn't as if the brooding rogue has any real plans to marry--though there is something about the alluring Miss Bridgerton that sets Simon's heart beating a bit faster. And as for Daphne, surely the clever debutante will attract some very worthy suitors now that is seems a duke has declared her desirable. But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, she soon forgets that their courtship is a complete sham. And now she has to do the impossible and keep herself from losing her heart and soul completely to the handsome hell-raiser who has sworn off marriage forever!… (more)
Member:Kristina_Olga
Title:Bridgerton: The Duke and I (Bridgertons Book 1)
Authors:Julia Quinn (Author)
Info:Avon (2015), 433 pages

Work Information

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn

The Duke by Gaelen Foley (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

English (134)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (137)
I heard about this series because of the TV programme( which I haven't yet seen). I really enjoyed it, full of surprises, humour and romance. Highly recommended. ( )
  SuzieEN | May 2, 2022 |
Light, pithy rom-com

In all honesty, I’m not a fan of historical romances typically because of the limited role of women and the lack of diversity. So, I knew what to expect going into the first of Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton novels. Overall, it’s a light, pithy rom-com with snappy dialogue and fun chemistry between the main characters, Daphne and Simon. However, throughout the book, I kept thinking that it's cute but it fails to live up to the sizzling, captivating Shonda Rhimes treatment seen on Netflix. An unfair comparison I’m sure, but I hope it urges authors to think bold, push the envelope, and write more inclusively in the future. ( )
  krraye | Apr 28, 2022 |
Oh, la! I'm so in love with the Bridgertons and their cutthroat croquet. Delightful! This one is Daphne and Simon. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
As fluffily entertaining and charming as the Netflix show it inspired. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
First Time reading: 2 stars
Second time reading 2.75
Thoughts Second time

This review is about the first time reading it, the link to my review the second time is above
This wasn't my favourite book, I've read. However, I read this in a pdf format so I probably missed stuff. The writing style was, well not my cup of tea. I was hoping we could see more trauma from Simon after what he went through as a child, but no, we just see it as an excuse for him to do whatever because he has issues. Well, the issues part is true but there was not a lot of compassion I felt, I would've loved to watch more development in Simon as a kid but what I was reading instead was not that.
I will most likely not be continuing on with the series. ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |

Quinn, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neild, RobynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, Susannesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terés Loriente, MireiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Danelle Harmon and Sabrina Jeffries, without whom I never would have turned in this book on time.
And for Martha of The Romance Journal electronic bulletin board, for suggesting I call it Daphne's Bad Heir Day.
And also for Paul, even though his idea of dancing is standing still while he holds my hand and watches me twirl.
The birth of Simon Arthur Henry Fitzranulph Bassett, Earl Clyvedon, was met with great celebration.

By all acounts, Simon Basset is one the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely—and almost-on-the-shelf—Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth—it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy sutiors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,336,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible