Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural…

Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, 1) *SSYR* #3 (original 2021; edition 2022)

by B. B. Alston (Author)

New York Times bestseller! Artemis Fowl meets Men in Black in this exhilarating debut middle grade fantasy, the first in a trilogy filled with #blackgirlmagic. Perfect for fans of Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky, the Percy Jackson series, and Nevermoor. Amari Peters has never stopped believing her missing brother, Quinton, is alive. Not even when the police told her otherwise, or when she got in trouble for standing up to bullies who said he was gone for good. So when she finds a ticking briefcase in his closet, containing a nomination for a summer tryout at the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs, she's certain the secretive organization holds the key to locating Quinton--if only she can wrap her head around the idea of magicians, fairies, aliens, and other supernatural creatures all being real. Now she must compete for a spot against kids who've known about magic their whole lives. No matter how hard she tries, Amari can't seem to escape their intense doubt and scrutiny--especially once her supernaturally enhanced talent is deemed "illegal." With an evil magician threatening the supernatural world, and her own classmates thinking she's an enemy, Amari has never felt more alone. But if she doesn't stick it out and pass the tryouts, she may never find out what happened to Quinton. Plus don't miss the thrilling sequel, Amari and the Great Game!… (more)
Member:ELA-6
Title:Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, 1) *SSYR* #3
Authors:B. B. Alston (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2022), 432 pages

Work Information

Amari and the Night Brothers by B. B. Alston (2021)

Lending

Checked out 2022-10-11 — Due 2022-11-01 — Overdue

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
Recommended Ages: Gr. 4-8

Plot Summary: Amari's brother disappeared suddenly and Amari and her mom are heartbroken. There have been no clues as to what happened to Quinton, so when Amari gets a package delivered one day with a message from her brother, she pays close attnetion. He tells her to wear the clothes enclosed in the package and go to a certain address. Amari gets permission to go to the same "camp" as her brother. She follows the directions to put on the suit even though it is incredibly ugly. At first, she thinks they're too late, but when they hear her name, they let her in. She says goodbye to her mom and starts at a new school, where she learns her brother and his partner disappeared during a mission. Amari starts her training and is shocked to discover the amount of magic she has within is so strong it's considered illegal. So is everyone else, because it's a dangerous level and people don't know if they should trust her. Her roommate, who turns into a dragon, is the only friend she has. Will Amari find answers about her brothers disappearance? Will the all powerful magician cause more problems for Amari?

Setting:

Characters:
Amari - strong, brave, thoughtful, determined, confused
Elsie - Amari's roommate
Quinton -

Recurring Themes: magic, family, disappearance, legends, magic school, friendship, boarding school, lies

Controversial Issues:

Personal Thoughts: This is a very well-written book. I switched between listening to the audiobook and reading the print book. I only got halfway through (pg 187, middle of chapter 17), but the book did stay with me. I hope to motivate myself to finish the rest of the book.

Genre: fantasy

Pacing: medium-fast, some action but a lot of explaining
Characters: well-developed, not too many
Frame:
Storyline:

Activity:
  pigeonlover | Nov 26, 2022 |
I tried reading this book back when it came out in 2021, I made it to chapter 8 but I just wasn't in the head space to read this book.
I am very glad that I picked it back up because this was a fantastic story. I love the parallels between Amari's school and the supernatural summer camp. I love that she learns to deal with the bullying and other's prejudices towards her in a way that stops them in their tracks. Looking forward to Amari and the Great Game to see what happens next.
If you like Men in Black, Harry Potter, Spiderwick Chronicles, or the Magisterium series you will like this book.
Highly recommend. ( )
  Shauna_Morrison | Nov 6, 2022 |
Narrated by Imani Parks. Amari's brother Quinton has gone missing, but Amari believes he is still alive. She is even more convinced after Quinton magically appears to her after she receives delivery of a mysterious briefcase. He has nominated her for entrance to a training camp with the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs. Amari soon comes to learn she is part of a magical and supernatural legacy, and that her brother holds a prominent role in the supernatural world. But what was he involved in that caused his disappearance? It would be easy to summarize this new series as "Black girl Harry Potter." But Amari's intersections come to bear in the supernatural world as well as the known world, adding a unique layer to the story's world-building and adventure. Plus a BIPOC-centered fantasy series is what the genre needs more of right now. Parks' audio performance is capable and she presents Amari as an ordinary girl trying to grasp extraordinary circumstances, but I think this adventure fantasy might have been further elevated by a more accomplished performer. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Nov 5, 2022 |
I was looking for something lighter to read and I came across this story. It is good to see a young black female as the protagonist. That being said, this book never really grabbed my attention as the plot felt disjointed and rushed in some places.

ArcherKel | Aug 17, 2022 |
"People assume stuff about you based on things you can't change about yourself. So I just do my best to prove them wrong, to be the person they're not expecting."

Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston was everything and so much more. Amari will forever be one of my all time favorite heroines. She was strong-willed, resilient and unstoppable. I was ready to fight everyone for her because the amount of racism and microagressions she had to overcome was infuriating. She was basically being bullied for being a poor, Black girl but still she stayed in the fight and was determined to prove everyone wrong. She was the epitome of #BlackGirlMagic.

I loved the world building and magic system despite hating Amari's assignment. I think it subjected her to even more unwanted abuse and persecution. I appreciated the people who stayed in her corner the entire time and gave her the support she needed to come into her own potential. The writing was solid and kept me captivated the entire time. I wanted to stay up all night to read and the ending has me itching to pick up the new installment immediately.

The main points were timely and relevant:
🔮 Black students face daily microaggressions in schools with majority white students.
🔮 People make many assumptions about others, especially Black students even about things they can't change or control.
🔮 Black people are forced to practice restraint because the cover sequences can cost them their life.
🔮 Positive role models are needed in poor communities to foster better outcomes in youth.
🔮 Black women and girls are forced to carry so much.
🔮 Sibling love is powerful.
🔮 The education system upholds racism and fails BIPOC students.
🔮 Black students are overly surveilled and punished at higher rates.
🔮 Adults fail students when they don't speak out against oppressive systems that abuse marginalized students.

If you are looking for a story full of magic with a curious, brave female youth as a lead, then look no further. You will fall in love with Amari the moment you meet her. Her tenacity and fortitude will win you over. Felix @tarot_and_libros was not lying when he was screaming about the wonders of this book ( )
  Booklover217 | Aug 15, 2022 |

So when she finds a ticking briefcase in his closet, containing a nomination for a summer tryout at the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs, she’s certain the secretive organization holds the key to locating Quinton—if only she can wrap her head around the idea of magicians, fairies, aliens, and other supernatural creatures all being real.

Now she must compete for a spot against kids who’ve known about magic their whole lives. No matter how hard she tries, Amari can’t seem to escape their intense doubt and scrutiny—especially once her supernaturally enhanced talent is deemed “illegal.” With an evil magician threatening the supernatural world, and her own classmates thinking she’s an enemy, Amari has never felt more alone. But if she doesn’t stick it out and pass the tryouts, she may never find out what happened to Quinton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,403,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible