The King Arthur Flour Baker's…

The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking… (edition 2003)

by King Arthur Flour

Originally Published ten years ago - and shortly thereafter honored as the James Beard Foundation's Cookbook of the Year (2003) - this cookbook is today every bit as relevant as it was then. And now the modern classic is in easy to use Flexibound Paperback, with its hundreds of easy and foolproof recipes, from yeast breads and sourdoughs to trendy flatbreads and crackers to family favorites such as pancakes and waffles. Leading you through the steps of leavening, mixing, proofing, and kneading through shaping and baking, the experts at King Arthur Flour also include their best fried doughs, quick breads, batter breads, biscuits, quiches, cobblers and crisps, cookies, cakes, brownies, pies, tarts, and pastries. For more than 200 years King Arthur Flour has been in the business of making the highest quality key ingredient in all of baking: flour. They've done decades of experimentation and research in their famous test kitchens on how the various ingredients in baked goods behave and why. The Baker's Companion, a kind of culmination of generations of loving work, brings you more than 350 recipes that teach you which ingredients work together as well as which don't and why. It is this knowledge that will allow you to unleash your own creativity and to experiment in the kitchen. You'll get a complete overview of ingredients in chapters on flours, sweeteners, leaveners, fats, and more. You'll find information on substitutions and variations, as well as troubleshooting advice from pros at King Arthur Four.… (more)
Member:AllergyMom
Title:The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
Authors:King Arthur Flour
Info:Countryman Press (2003), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 640 pages

Work Information

The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook by King Arthur Flour

One of the best bread baking books out there. I use this for everything. ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 11, 2021 |
This is an amazing baking cookbook. It is unlike most other baking cookbooks, because it not only has recipes, it also teaches you why certain methods are used, i.e., how to bake. For example, it explains why it's important to put cheese into the crust of a quiche before adding other ingredients. It also goes into detail about what certain baked dishes are, as in, what the differences are between a crisp, a cobbler, and a buckle. Besides basic bread and dessert recipes, it includes some unusual ones, too, like "Feaux-Reos," for those who'd rather bake their own Oreos than by them, and hot pockets. It also has the most amazing banana bread recipe I've ever tasted. I love this cookbook! ( )
  Coffeehag | Feb 2, 2018 |
Vast collection of recipes & advice, in the company's 2nd cookbook. Wide-ranging.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
My go-to baking cookbook every time I need to make pies, cookies, and cakes. Must have for any beginner to experienced baker. Extensive reference information and tips. ( )
  trdancer | Nov 1, 2013 |
This is another cookbook I've had for ages but have barely made any of the recipes in it. I really like the layout--there aren't many photos, just a few color inserts, but the sheer amount of recipes makes up for it. This is definitely like a baking bible. I especially like that they list both volume and weight measurements for all recipes.

As with all my cookbook reviews, I'll update as I cook from this!

Gingerbread Pancakes -- 4 stars
These have really good flavor, but I found them a touch on the dry side. The batter was really thick, so if it's like that in the future I'll add a bit more buttermilk. Or just serve them with lots of butter on top. These would also be great with a sweet topping since they're more on the savory side (I wish I had some maple syrup!) ( )
  agirlnamedfury | Mar 30, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,574,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible