There are monsters in the world. When Violeta Graceling arrives at haunted Lakesedge estate, she expects to find a monster. She knows the terrifying rumours about Rowan Sylvanan, who drowned his entire family when he was a boy. But neither the estate nor the monster are what they seem. There are monsters in the woods. As Leta falls for Rowan, she discovers he is bound to the Lord Under, the sinister death god lurking in the black waters of the lake. A creature to whom Leta is inexplicably drawn . . . There's a monster in the shadows, and now it knows my name. Praise for Lakesedge 'Lakesedge is an intense tale of mystery and magic that will have lovers of gothic romance eager for the next instalment.' - Juliet Marillier 'A shadow-drenched fairytale that readers will happily devour. Lyndall Clipstone's lush prose lends itself to a world both dark and elegant, brimming with monsters and a young woman brave enough to face them.' - Emily Lloyd-Jones… (more)

I love the cover of Lakesedge by Lyndall Clipstone it's very pretty. I love how she's running up the stairs.

So to start off the mom burning Airen was messed up. There's never an excuse to hurt a child it's disgusting.

Quote: "I want his shadows." The monster said is why it wants Arien. He gives off bad vibes.

It also must have been weird for Airen's sister Violeta to have to ride with the monster as well. It also must have been scary when they were running from the monster in the woods.

Quote: "Tendrils of darkness unfold from the ground and snare the wolf, wrapping it's legs like vines." Very descriptive and scared me to be completely honest.

Quote: "This monster, who claims there's darkness in my brother who wanted to take Arien away and leave me behind, he came back for me." Does the monster have a little crush on Violeta?

This book was very interesting and loved it. The plot was so amazing. Love the relationship between Rowan and Violetta. I also love how she sacrificed everything. I would definitely reccomend reading this just be warned it's a very emotional story. ( )
  KourtneyEReilly | Aug 1, 2022 |
There is some debate if this is “gothic”. To me, yes. I find it very reminiscent of the look and feel of Guillermo Del Toro’s Crimson Peak. Lakesedge is a “poisoned” estate. The lake is black and dangerous and has caused the death of many people. And the rumor is that Rowan, the current lord of the land, used the lake to kill his family. All most anyone really knows is that he is dark, mysterious, and moody. Violeta is just a young woman trying to protect her brother from a world that does not know or understand him. Leta doesn’t really know him either. She just knows he has nightmares. But these are more than nightmares. It is his dark alchemist powers that are growing everyday, and Rowan needs his help to drive bac the poison at Lakesedge. But this story is so much more than that. Leta herself is very special as well, she can call to the Lord Under. He saved her years ago when she was driven from her home with her young brother. And now he is back, and will complicate things at Lakes Edge.

I really enjoyed this book. It was haunting and dark, and as mentioned before it feels like Crimson Peak, crossed between A Court of Mist and Fury. Huh? That’s right. Rowan and Lord Under remind me a bit of Tamlin and Rhys. (Please be aware I have only read the first book of that series). One thinks the other is evil, but still needs their help to keep a kingdom peaceful or at least under control.

The sequel to this is out soon, and based on blurb alone, I feel it may go the way of ACTAR, but I sure hope not. I loved the quite story between Leta and Rowan. It has its dark parts, and two people finding light in each other. The side characters are just as compelling. We shall see where the story goes, because unfortunately, this one ends on a cliffhanger. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Jun 1, 2022 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in the World at Lake’s Edge duology. I borrowed this book as an ebook from the library.

Thoughts: I enjoyed this but didn’t love it. This is one of those very dramatic dark gothic types of reads. The premise is that Violeta Graceling is desperately trying to protect her brother, Arien, from the shadows that haunt him. This is when Rowan shows up and demands that Arien accompany Rowan to Rowan’s estate. The rumors surrounding Rowan are dark and vicious but Violeta and Arien have no other options as the villagers start to turn against Arien and his dark shadows.

I did like the imagery here and the dark gothic tone to it all. Unfortunately, the book felt a bit unfinished as well. The world isn’t built out very well. We know there are alchemists and possibly other types of magic? However, the story is very secluded to Rowan’s estate and this makes the world feel small and underdeveloped.

The characters are okay. Violeta (Leta) and Rowan are both a bit overly dramatic for me. I kind of dig Rowan’s dark, wounded, savior vibes but he is just sooo stereotypical for this type of story. I also got a bit sick of Leta’s savior complex; she was constantly putting herself in crazy dangerous situations to help those she loved and it was just so repetitive that it made her character feel a bit flat.

The writing style is very lush and descriptive but also felt a bit immature to me. The story could have been tighter, the plot more complete. This also ends at a very big cliffhanger which I am not a fan of. I did enjoy the alchemical magic and the Lord Under though.

My Summary (3.5/5): Overall this book was a bit of a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed the tone, the gothic darkness, and the alchemical magic here. Leta and Rowan’s relationship is about as darkly gothic wounded feeling as they come. However, the world building was thin, the characters lacked dimension and everything about this felt a bit unfinished and overly dramatic. I am on the fence about whether or not I will read the next book in the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 26, 2022 |
It was pretty terrible — super weirdly repetitive and clichéd and oh-so-tropey. And it’s *not* gothic or modern gothic… though certain obvious elements have been shoved into the story to make it appear so. But it got the extra star for being such a quick and easy read. Deserved? Idk, maybe not…. ;p I really start to wonder if I’m too old for YA… but when I think about Six of Crows, Nyxia, and other well-written YAs, I think, “no, this just isn’t good.” ( )
  avanders | Nov 28, 2021 |
It took me 2 attempts to get through this, so not exactly a shining recommendation, but it's worth giving a chance (especially as a debut). The first third or so is painfully drawn out, however once the story starts to deliver some real information on the central mysteries (what happened to the Sylvanans, what happened to the Gracelings), and the relationship between Rowan and Violeta progresses beyond the “bickering” stage (always the worst part of any YA romance), the novel becomes far more bearable.

Contrary to the advertised idea that this is “gothic”, in this age of TikTok it’s really more akin to dark cottagecore – the plot (such as it is) is cosy and slow and meandering; the characters – none of whom are particularly threatening: Rowan is such a darling young thing, he’s not a patch on Rochester, let alone any actual monster – spend most of their time doing domestic things in the manor and the nearby village, talking about magic, and vaguely alluding to spoopy things that happened to them as young children; every now and then, they have another attempt at the one and only goal of the story, which is to complete this magic ritual to heal the Corruption which is slowly consuming the land, and Rowan himself.

Violeta is a genuinely likeable protagonist and POV; maybe she’s nothing extraordinarily special (teenage girl, orphaned under mysterious circumstances, fiercely protective of younger sibling, secretly has magic which is the key to saving the world), but she’s very tender and caring – even to Rowan, when she still believes he killed his family – her curiousity keeps her active in the story, she pushes through her fears in order to help those around her, and she doesn’t display any notable Not Like The Other Girls Traits (disdaining dresses, disdaining romance, throwing tantrums over social conventions, resenting other women for being pretty, etc etc)

This novel isn’t going to change the world, but it was a very pleasant diversion and it’s just so nice to have a YA fantasy which cares for all its characters, who all care for one another, and where there’s no “irredeemable” villain to be destroyed, just the metaphorical struggle of people against the forces of nature - entropy, and death itself. And to see how that works out, we’ll have to wait for book 2… ( )
  TillyWiz | Oct 11, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,666,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible