"When Violeta Graceling and her younger brother Arien arrive at the haunted Lakesedge estate, they expect to find a monster. Leta knows the terrifying rumors about Rowan Sylvanan, who drowned his entire family when he was a boy. But neither the estate nor the monster are what they seem. As Leta falls for Rowan, she discovers he is bound to the Lord Under, the sinister death god lurking in the black waters of the lake. A creature to whom Leta is inexplicably drawn... Now, to save Rowan--and herself--Leta must confront the darkness in her past, including unraveling the mystery of her connection to the Lord Under."--… (more)

I will be honest. I really struggled with this read. I wanted to love this book, i really liked the realtionship between the brother and this sister. But the characters did not wow me, The story felt a bit insta lovey to me and it just did not capture me. The book was more romance heavy and less eerie and creepy. It was okay read, but it did now wow me! ( )
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
This book is just dripping with gothic creepiness and I LOVE it. It has it all and more - the dark mansion, magical battles, a tormented hot brooding man, a scary but sexy king of the underworld and last but not least the brave and self sacrificing main character of Violeta who both frustrated me and wowed me. The book cover art perfectly captures the goth romance feel of the story. Highly entertaining, I look forward to reading more from this debut author. ( )
  Andy5185 | Jul 9, 2023 |
Lakesedge was a mixed reading experience for me. The author showed a lot of creativity in terms of the setting. I loved the eerie, atmospheric, isolated gothic mansion on a lake filled with spreading corruption, a secret garden and creepy woods. The dark magic was fascinating, and I would have loved more background on it.
The main characters felt flat to me and there was a lot of ruminating inner monologue from Violeta. Rowan was just brooding most of the time. Both had a heavy self-sacrifice trope. I really liked the side characters and wish they had been better developed. First person narration was not the best choice since we were inside Violet's head instead of experiencing different perspectives.
The plot was repetitive and often stalled instead of moving along, making the book hard to get through.
My favorite parts were those involving the sinister Lord Under and his dark realm. He was reminiscent of Hades and I could have read an entire book about him. There is a cliffhanger ending involving Lord Under and this makes me want to read the sequel as he will likely feature more prominently in it. ( )
  PennyOlson | Nov 18, 2022 |
I loved reading this. It captivated my attention, and I loved the gothic feel. It captured me in its claws and pulled me down with it into its depths. Violeta is a wonderful and relatable protagonist, and I felt her struggles and her pains. She is protective of her younger brother, and I felt their relationship was raw and authentic and completely believable.

My favorite thing about this book was Rowan. He was an absolute brooding bad boy, and he was the star of the show. His dynamic with Violeta was great, and the way they danced around each other was perfect and kept me on edge. I had to keep turning the pages and sleep was less important than knowing what happened next. I need the next book, because Lyndell Clipstone is an absolutely amazing author, and I need the rest of the story now! I can't wait for the release of the next book! Thank you for the copy! ( )
  taylorkillpack | Oct 19, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,438,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible