Better Than the Movies

by Lynn Painter

In this rom-com about rom-coms, in the spirit of Kasie West and Jenn Bennett, a hopeless romantic teen attempts to secure a happily-ever-after moment with her forever crush, but finds herself reluctantly drawn to the boy next door. Perpetual daydreamer Liz Buxbaum gave her heart to Michael a long time ago. But her cool, aloof forever crush never really saw her before he moved away. Now that he's back in town, Liz will do whatever it takes to get on his radar--and maybe snag him as a prom date--even befriend Wes Bennet. The annoyingly attractive next-door neighbor might seem like a prime candidate for romantic comedy fantasies, but Wes has only been a pain in Liz's butt since they were kids. Pranks involving frogs and decapitated lawn gnomes do not a potential boyfriend make. Yet, somehow, Wes and Michael are hitting it off, which means Wes is Liz's in. But as Liz and Wes scheme to get Liz noticed by Michael so she can have her magical prom moment, she's shocked to discover that she likes being around Wes. And as they continue to grow closer, she must reexamine everything she thought she knew about love--and rethink her own ideas of what Happily Ever After should look like.… (more)

This was a very fun light read.

I don't know if it's just me but this felt very similar to The DUFF which is one of my go-to chick-flicks (I mean hello, Robbie Amell is the MC), hell even our main guy is called Wes for god's sake!

Not only was this a very fun and funny book, but it also touched on very important topics such as grief and life after the loss of a loved one, and how trying to live up to the idea we have of what that person would've wanted us to be can cripple us in ways we can't even notice.
I liked the fact that this book didn't shy away from such a heavy topic but also handled it in a way that neither ruined the pace of the book or made it too depressing.

The characters were really interesting and I liked reading about them.
I'd like to think that I could be friends with Liz, Wes, Joss and Michael and the rest.

Overall this was a fun read and I recommend it if you're looking for a good time while also discussing serious stuff. ( )
  Ray_ | Jan 19, 2022 |
This was a very cute book, while not quite a fake dating trope (my favorite trope), there still a plan that involves something to that effect with a little enemies to lovers thrown in. One of the things I liked about this book that Painter did really well was incorporate a little but of that Rom com magic that you see in movies, and I could actually see this becoming a movie in the future. I love the incorporating of movie quotes at the start of the chapter and Liz's ability to pick a song for the moment which makes sense considering what she wants to go to school for.

As for Liz and Wes, at first I didn't know if I would like them. To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of the whole enemies to lovers trope but it was rather quickly that Liz and Wes became friendly and their arguing (which I can become annoyed at) became friendly bickering. Liz was quirky, but I didn't like that she tried to change herself to make Michael like her. Wes was pretty likable, after the first initial introduction of him and I loved the end of it. I do like that Liz had a slow realization of her feelings for Wes, but of course they had to make it a bit complicated so they couldn't get together right away.

Overall, if you like Rom Coms, this is for you. ( )
  Lattes_Literature | Dec 23, 2021 |
An endearing bit of fluff that was too full of pop culture references for my taste. The plot is yawningly predictable but the characters are so strongly drawn and the dialogue is sharp; if Painter devised a less hackneyed storyline, well, I'd probably be gushing like a fountain and calling her my new favorite author. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
Better Than the Movies is the perfect summer rom-com read. While the romantic trope of enemies to lovers is pretty standard, I loved the banter and chemistry between Wes and Liz. ( )
  SGKowalski | Jul 6, 2021 |
This novel brought me great joy during a time when I needed some cheering up.

Liz lives in a world she believes her mother would want. Her mother passed away several years ago, and Liz has a perfectly good step-mother. Liz feels getting close to Helena would be replacing her mother, so she keeps distant. Liz tries to be her mom in some ways. She watches the rom-coms that her mom loved, and Liz loves them in return. She wears vintage clothing that sets her apart. She constantly thinks of music as a score to life as it is in a movie. Sounds fine, except it's now her senior year when major life events happen. Liz puts everything off because her mom isn't there to be a part of them. I'm making it sound like a depressing, realistic, serious novel. It is not. It's actually rather funny.

Liz crushed on Michael when he lived in town. She thinks she'll probably never see him, but he's back! She sees their romance as a rom-com and even begins a movie score to follow their relationship. The problem is that he sees her as Little Liz, as she was when she was young. Her next door neighbor agrees to help her get Michael. Wes, to Liz, is her nemesis. He continually annoys her on purpose. They argue over the parking spot in front of their houses. She finally has a plan. He can have the parking spot if he agrees to help her. They pretend to date to show Michael she is dating material. Wes even takes her shopping and offers suggestions to be a little "less Liz."

Fate obviously doesn't not want Liz and Michael to get together. The disasters that ensue make the reader laugh aloud. Liz handles these missteps well and even has a sense of humor about them. Wes seems to understand Liz and can help her adjust with the changes by giving suggestions that show he understands how to help her. Liz eventually has to face reality about college, her step-mother, and her love life. My only real criticism are the occasional cuss words. These would be suddenly thrown in and jar me from the story. They didn't fit her character or the rest of the writing style. Ultimately, the novel was a joy to read. ( )
  acargile | Jun 3, 2021 |
My mother taught me the golden rule of dating before I even hit the second grade.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,394,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible