The Atlas Six

by Olivie Blake

2112102,966 (4)3

I loved this unreasonably much. I was intrigued when I found it the author is a famous Draco/Hermione fanfic writer because I have been missing Harry Potter before it got tainted by bigotry. Didn't disappoint; this was like Harry Potter for adults. Big Brother with very high stakes and with magic. The top 6 best magicians in the world gets hand selected by a secret society. One must die. The mind games and alliances formed and betrayed were delicious. The characters were very well-written - several Slytherin types you can't help but love in a disturbed way and everyone is thirsty and sexy. It does end on a cliffhanger with a big twist and book 2 is not till next year. Can't wait. ( )
  altricial | Dec 17, 2021 |
I want to start by saying that I do enjoy this book - see the 4 start rating for proof. I feel it necessary to restate that since I think this review may go over as well as a lead balloon. The Atlas Six needs work. But lets start with what I liked - the plot. The plot is unique from anything else I have ever seen before. The idea that the Library of Alexandria isn't lost is something that I think all book lovers can get behind. It's a real standout and the whole plot keeps you thinking and on the edge of your seat for the entirety of the book. The book falls squarely in the cross section of dark academia and magic with a touch of mystery thrown in which is right up my alley. I love the characters and the potential for plot twists and the potential for interplay between characters is unparalleled. Which brings us right to the doorstep of what I didn't like. I feel like there is SO much missed potential in this book. I was on the edge of my seat, absolutely devouring this book trying to get to the point when everything clicked into place and started making sense - but that never quite happened. In order to preserve the feeling of mystery that shrouds the Alexandrian Society many questions are left unanswered, and the magic that the characters possess is explained so abstractly that there is actually little explanation at all. Even having finished the book, I still struggle to understand the difference between the magic that some of the characters have. Along that same vein, it feels like the characters were given no room to exist outside of progressing the plot. For a group of only six people that live together for an entire year, there are a scant few instances where you can see them interacting, building relationships, or evening just having general character development. It is frequently referenced how "deeply inextricable" these characters are from each other, but we never quite find out why that is, or how that could even be possible given how little they interact within the society walls. As I said at the start - I did thoroughly enjoy this book. And if this becomes a series, I would certainly read the next one, with the profound hope that things start to make a bit more sense. But it is in need of an editor and a bit more elaboration to make it a truly great read. ( )
  sedodge | Sep 25, 2021 |
to my physicist boy
and my starry-eyed girl

and to LORD OLIVER,
for all the punches.
PERHAPS IT WAS A TIRED THING, all the references the world had already made to the Ptolemaic Royal Library of Alexandria.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,318,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible