The Descendants: A Novel by Kaui Hart…

The Descendants: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Kaui Hart Hemmings

A descendant of royalty and one of the largest landowners in Hawaii, Matthew King struggles to deal with his out-of-control daughters--ten-year-old Scottie and seventeen-year-old Alex--as well as his comatose wife, whom they are about to remove from lifesupport.
Member:Samuel.Sotillo
Title:The Descendants: A Novel
Authors:Kaui Hart Hemmings
Info:Random House (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Books
Tags:Books

The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings (2007)

Recently added byAJN1013, charlyk, rena75, Greg_Smith

English (56)  Dutch (1)  All languages (57)
I love to read books that are set in the place I’m reading them, and I happen to be in the first place I discovered that joy many years ago- Hawaii. “The Descendants”, by Kaui Hart Hemmings, was a moving, quick read. The book is a portrait of a family in a defining moment- the letting go of a wife and mother who is in a coma. The journey of accepting the faults and flaws of one another and respecting the pain that others experience was fully realized and entirely real. There’s a rainstorm today, just as in the climax of the story. What a perfect day to stay in and read! I’ll have to catch the movie soon! ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
Hemmings tells the story of Matt King, a descendant of Hawaiian royalty (pre-statehood) who's dealing with the results his wife Joanie's recent boating accident and his larger family's desire to sell off the land that was passed down through the family.

Much of the story focuses on Matt's attempts to care for his two daughters, Scottie and Alex, who he never really took the time to get to know before.

The story is funny in parts, touching in parts. I enjoyed listening to The Descendants. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
What do you do when your wife leaves you with two daughters you have never really known? Matt has to find out how to be a father to Scottie and Alex, plus make the three of them into a family again. You can't imagine how Alex grows up and handles this along with her family.
Deb F. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog. ( )
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Characters feels real. Good writing. Keep the tissue close. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Sep 14, 2017 |
I admit; when I read the synopsis, it DID catch my eye, but the first few chapters bored me. I would read it, but then would quickly lose interest and put it down, and find something else to do; which very rarely happens with me.

I found that the book only got interesting when Matt got to know that Joanie was going to die, because then I found myself 'pulled' towards how Matt handled the situation. Though I must say, the fact that he had to 'rehearse' almost everything he was going to say at the beginning was slightly annoying to me.

And then we have Sid. I couldn't stand the boy's guts, but then softened up to him as the story went on. He wasn't as bad as he was portrayed at the beginning after all. And Brian Speer... OH GOD, I HATED that man's guts when they confronted him at Kauai. I was expecting him to be more... expressive, I guess? I think I kinda understood Matt's feelings at that point; here was Joanie, head over heels in love with Brian, when he didn't love her and was just leading her on. I kinda understand Julie's feelings too, but to say that to Joanie and Matt at Joanie's deathbed was... a tad bit disrespectful, in my opinion.

But if there was anything that I liked about this book, it would be how Kaui described the sadness in the family. It wasn't sappy and all 'oh-the-calamity' kinda thing, and even Scottie was being very strong and brave about it. I liked how they each allowed themselves moments of sadness where they would cry, but they didn't go moping around about it, because frankly, there's nothing they'd be able to do anyway. You can't stop death. ( )
  KrystleLow | Oct 27, 2016 |
For Andy
The sun is shining, mynah birds are chattering, palm trees are swaying, so what.

Kaui Hart Hemmings is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,618,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible