Written in Blood: The Sunday Times Number…

Written in Blood: The Sunday Times Number One Bestseller (edition 2021)

by Chris Carter (Author)

Series: Robert Hunter (11)

1316212,785 (4.09)2 / 8
"Los Angeles, December 4th - exactly three weeks until Christmas day. Angela Wood, a master in the art of pickpocket, has just finished for the day - six hundred and eighty-seven dollars - not bad for less than fifteen minutes work. As she celebrates her profitable day with a cocktail, one of the patrons in the lounge she's in catches her attention by being rude to an old man. Angela decides to teach him a lesson, and steals the man's expensive-looking leather bag. Inside is no money ... no laptop computer ... nothing of any value ... at least not to Angela. Just a black, leather-bound book, surprisingly heavy. Curiosity takes over and in the comfort of her apartment, Angela quickly leafs through the pages. That is when the worst nightmare of her life begins. This is no ordinary book. Read it at your own peril."--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Member:Carol420
Title:Written in Blood: The Sunday Times Number One Bestseller
Authors:Chris Carter (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster UK (2021), Edition: 1, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****

Work Information

Written in Blood by Chris Carter

English (5)  German (1)  All languages (6)
A young pickpocket gets annoyed and steals a bag to teach a rude man a lesson but when she sees the contents she gets a shock. The bag contains a diary detailing a series of kills and when LAPD's Robert Hunter manages to verify that these are real, the clock is ticking. The killer wants his book back, the girl is in danger and Hunter and his team need to stop any further killing.
This was my first book by Carter and I only picked it up as I'm going to see him speak in a couple of weeks. This is the sort of book I would generally avoid and after reading it I'm sure that beyond the other one I've bought I won't be reading more. In fact it's actually a very good book within its genre, the action is pacy, there are great bits of psychology and a few twists. The problem for me is that it's just a little too gratuitous in terms of the violence. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jul 7, 2024 |
POSSIBLE TRIGGERS: Graphic Violence and Torture
Meet Angela, a pickpocket who takes the wrong thing from the wrong person...a diary that is actually a murder book, detailing over a dozen macabre, gruesome deaths. Normally such clear notes as these would give Hunter and his partner Garcia, some insight into the killer and the hunt would be on...but it’s the psychopathic serial killer who goes on the offensive and keeps surprising the usually clever and insightful Det. Robert Hunter. I was somewhat surprised that the detectives didn't speed read through the book to find and identify the sixteen or so victims, but I guess that would have been a bit too laborious for us to sit through when this author can show us this killers' skills in very, very graphic action. Up close and personal takes on a whole new meaning...believe me! Instead, the cat and mouse game (with police relegated to the role of the latter) gives us a chance to appreciate Robert Hunter’s psychological insights and to realize there are many inconsistencies the killer’s documented motivations for the murders. Things get macabre but if you've this talented author before you know that it's nothing we haven’t seen in his other novels. We even get a trip into the Dark Web...a place you really want to avoid. Seriously. This is a L-O-N-G book nearly 500 pages. It's graphic and Carter's ability to paint with the written word will make you feel that you are in the last moments of the victim's lives...it is NOT for the weak of stomach or the faint of heart...and that is not just graphic words I pulled out of thin air to describe it. Other than Robert and Garcia, I can't say that I really liked any of the characters...but if this killer has his way, none of them will be around long anyway. ( )
  Carol420 | Jun 18, 2024 |
Fast paced thriller set in L A
Detective Robert Hunter comes across a Diary that has been written by a Serial killer.
This was stolen from a Random man in a Bar. The lady who took this books Angela Woods life is in danger as the Serial killer wants to take revenge on her.
Few more people are killed. Robert Hunter and his Partner Detective Carlos Garcia are trying to stop this mad Serial killer who kills for money and fun. He gets his instructions from the Dark web.

Hunter is taken by the Serial killer, Hunter calls him the Werewolf due to the mask he has been wearing.
Hunter knows he has Angela and 2 other ladies held hostage. Hunter manages to trick him into a dual and there is only one winner. Hunter manages to rescue 1 of the Ladies and Angela.

OK book. ( )
1 vote Daftboy1 | Sep 17, 2023 |
If you like the writing style of Chris Carter you will love Written in Blood. As a fan of Robert Hunter you will of course know that the author is a trained criminal psychologist. This is reflected in his books and gives great insight into the mind of a killer....read and enjoy :) ( )
  runner56 | Aug 23, 2020 |
Written In Blood by Chris Carter is the next in the Robert Hunter series, and just like the others, it can be enjoyed as a stand alone.

In this outing, Angela Wood is a skilled pickpocket and gets more than she bargains for when she steals a bag containing the diary and journal of a killer. He wants it back at all costs and it's up to Robert Hunter and Garcia to catch him before he hurts anyone else.

Despite the length coming in at just under 500 pages, Carter's trademark fast pace and intelligent plotting make this a quick read.

It came as a complete shock however when I read the moving dedication at the beginning of the book. I didn't know about the death of his partner Kara last year and was moved by the fact he chose to share his dedication to Kara and include all those who have lost their lives to COVID-19. I later learned that Carter barely managed to overcome his crippling grief and depression to finish this book and my heart goes out to him.

I'm happy to say that as a reader and reviewer, I saw no signs that this book was affected by the author's grief and loss. To his credit, Written In Blood is just as gripping as the previous two in the series (Hunting Evil and The Gallery of the Dead) and was actually a five star read for me.

Highly recommended for fans of crime fiction.

* Copy courtesy of Simon & Schuster * ( )
1 vote Carpe_Librum | Aug 17, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

Chat in Book Discussion : Written in Blood by Chris Carter

Character List in Book Discussion : Written in Blood by Chris Carter

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,755,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible