The Good Sister (2020)

by Sally Hepworth

Fiction. Literature. Thriller. HTML:

THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

"A stunningly clever thriller made doubly suspenseful by not one, but two unreliable narrators."
?? People

Sally Hepworth, the author of The Mother-In-Law delivers a knock-out of a novel about the lies that bind two sisters in The Good Sister.

There's only been one time that Rose couldn't stop me from doing the wrong thing and that was a mistake that will haunt me for the rest of my life.
Fern Castle works in her local library. She has dinner with her twin sister Rose three nights a week. And she avoids crowds, bright lights and loud noises as much as possible. Fern has a carefully structured life and disrupting her routine can be...dangerous.
When Rose discovers that she cannot get pregnant, Fern sees her chance to pay her sister back for everything Rose has done for her. Fern can have a baby for Rose. She just needs to find a father. Simple.
Fern's mission will shake the foundations of the life she has carefully built for herself and stir up dark secrets from the past, in this quirky, rich and shocking story of what families keep hidden.… (more)

Recently added byJoannlj, mamasue, tanapete, kgibsoncromer, private library, MSTLibrary, gelibrary, JayneMitchell

Domestic thriller with a fair amount of suspense towards the end - the first third of the book moved along so slowly, though, that I almost gave up on it. The ending was a little trite. I'd read other books by this author. ( )
  flourgirl49 | May 27, 2024 |
The first thing that put me off was the name Wally, I've always hated the name Wally and seeing it over and over annoyed me. But that's a personal thing and I'm sorry to all the Wallys out there in the world.
Second thing that put me off was how slowwwwww it was..... soooo slloowww.
Third, I find the 'woman without a baby goes crazy' trope really annoying. I am a woman without a baby and I know plenty of women without babies. We are not all patrolling the streets searching for unwary men or unattended babies while muttering to ourselves but you wouldn't know that if you just read domestic thrillers.
Fourth, the homeless person ends up being a millionaire? sigh. just that, sigh.
Fifth, the flashbacks with the mother were incredibly intense. I think it was unnecessarily distressing, especially in how much weight they held in the end of the book.
Overall, I had been looking forward to this book and unfortunately I was very disappointed. I've really enjoyed Sally Hepworth books before and I will keep reading her books but I think I won't push myself through if I'm not invested in the story. ( )
  ChariseH | May 25, 2024 |
Fern and Rose are twin sisters. Fern is likely on the autism spectrum, as she is awkward in social situations. She works at the local library. Her sister Rose looks out for her. Rose protected her after an event when they were young, which resulted in the death of a young boy. Now, Rose tells Fern that she is unable to have a child, so Fern decides to have a baby for Rose. Fern has met Wally (Rocco Ryan) who is living in his van. Wally is also awkward, but is a genius software developer, having created and sold a program he wrote for lots of money. Fern and Wally fall in love, but Rose interferes. Rose and her mother have a fraught relationship, and when odd things happen, Fern begins to wonder if she should trust Rose.
Intriguing look at psychopath! ( )
  rmarcin | Apr 24, 2024 |
It was ok. I read it in 3 days. Kind of an expected ending. ( )
  BethQuerrey | Mar 17, 2024 |
This is my first Hepworth book. It kept my attention all the way through. Fern and Rose, while twins, are as opposite as can be. Fern has sensory disorder and works in a library where she is really good at her job. Rose seems to be the twin always in control and tends to try to take care of her sister. Childhood secrets are slowly revealed throughout the book. It s a thriller but not as extreme as other thrillers I have read. ( )
  travelgal | Feb 11, 2024 |
For Eloise and Clementine
For giving me a glimpse into the great wonders and
(greater) horrors of having a sister
It’s been three months since Owen left.

Fiction. Literature. Thriller. HTML:

THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

?? People

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,035,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible