This Time Next Year by Sophie Cousens

This Time Next Year (edition 2020)

by Sophie Cousens (Author)

INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER A GOOD MORNING AMERICA BOOK CLUB PICK Their lives began together, but their worlds couldn't be more different. After thirty years of missed connections, they're about to meet again... Minnie Cooper knows two things with certainty: that her New Year's birthday is unlucky, and that it's all because of Quinn Hamilton, a man she's never met. Their mothers gave birth to them at the same hospital just after midnight on New Year's Day, but Quinn was given the cash prize for being the first baby born in London in 1990--and the name Minnie was meant to have, as well. With luck like that, it's no wonder each of her birthdays has been more of a disaster than the one before. When Minnie unexpectedly runs into Quinn at a New Year's party on their mutual thirtieth birthday, she sees only more evidence that fortune has continued to favor him. The gorgeous, charming business owner truly seems to have it all--while Minnie's on the brink of losing her pie-making company and her home. But if Quinn and Minnie are from different worlds, why do they keep bumping into each other? And why is it that each fraught encounter leaves them both wanting more? A moving, joyful love story, This Time Next Year explores the way fate leads us to the people we least expect--no matter what the odds.… (more)
Member:Kristina_Olga
Title:This Time Next Year
Authors:Sophie Cousens (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2020), 368 pages

Work Information

This Time Next Year by Sophie Cousens

ARC provided by NetGalley ( )
  katielibrarian | Feb 8, 2022 |
The audiobook for This Time Next Year by Sophie Cousens was excellent. I really enjoyed the narrator which is a must for me to get through an audiobook. The story is about Minnie and Quinn who were born on New Year's Day just minutes apart in the same hospital. Minnie's mother helps Quinn's through the birthing process and tells her that she is going to name her baby Quinn. Well, not only does Quinn's mother take the name for her own baby, but he is the first baby of the year and wins a big prize. Minnie's mother is greatly disappointed and decides that she can't name her baby Quinn too. So it goes that throughout Minnie's life, everything is brought back to that moment and how unfortunate events wouldn't happen if SHE were named Quinn and consequently, she sees New Year as bad luck. Years later a chance meeting brings her together with Quinn and instead of hating him, she is intrigued as is he. Will they be able to get their lives together enough to make a go of a relationship?

This book takes place in England and is read on the audio with the appropriate accent. Once I got used to it, I loved it. The story was fun and engaging. It flips back and forth in time some, but I was able to follow it well enough. I plan to go back and read this in physical book form and pick up some of the details I may have missed when listening. I'm also interested to see what other kinds of books Sophie Cousens has written. 5 stars. ( )
  sdbookhound | Jan 8, 2022 |
A light and generally frothy story, mainly aimed at youngish female readers. Not great literature but, nor was it trying to be. I enjoyed it. I liked the puns and the author's end note about a 2020 that only existed in a parallel universe. ( )
  dsc73277 | Oct 31, 2021 |
Only got about a quarter into this audiobook. So didn't get to the magic ...

I gave this book 2.5 stars on this review from Oct 2021.

Jan 2022

I tackled this audiobook again. OMG! this book IS magic. Minnie is such a beautiful character.

It's such a perfect romance, as we the reader know how well Minnie and Quinn are right for each other. It just has this structure that tries to make things fit into a pre-ordained timeframe. That never works in my books. It puts terrible artificial constraints and amps up the predictability. ( )
  Okies | Oct 14, 2021 |
A delightful rom com, this one had me smiling from start to finish! It was the perfect pick-me-up after a couple of heavy reads.

Pie baker Minnie Cooper’s life has been jinxed from the very moment of her birth 30 years ago on New Year’s Day. Having been robbed of her title as the first baby of the new 1990’s decade, as well as of the name she was to be given, the only kind of luck Minnie seems to have is bad luck.

When she meets Quinn Hamilton, the boy who beat her out as baby new year, and the name Quinn, Minnie cannot believe her bad luck once again. But there’s more to Quinn than first appears.

A joyful tale of mishaps and misunderstandings, This Time Next Year is sure to put you in a feel-good mood.

A big thank you to Sophie Cousens, G.P. Putnam's Sons, and NetGalley for providing a complimentary Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for this honest review.

This Time Next Year is releasing December 1, 2020 in paperback, audiobook, and for Kindle. Please consider purchasing from Bookshop.org, the online bookstore that donates 75% of the book’s profit margin to support independent bookstores. (Note that Desiree does receive a small commission if you purchase through this link, however, she shares it out of her enduring love for those corner, indie bookstores everywhere.)

#ThisTimeNextYear
#SophieCousens
#GPPutnamsSons
#NetGalley ( )
  Desiree_Reads | Jul 9, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,965,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible