Our Favorite Day of the Year by A. E. Ali

Our Favorite Day of the Year (edition 2020)

by A. E. Ali (Author), Rahele Jomepour Bell (Illustrator)

Member:WonderlandOfBooks
Title:Our Favorite Day of the Year
Authors:A. E. Ali (Author)
Other authors:Rahele Jomepour Bell (Illustrator)
Info:Salaam Reads / Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist
Tags:Community, holidays, classroom, traditions, culture, picture book

Our Favorite Day of the Year by A E Ali (Author)

I absolutely love this book. Students share their favorite day of the year, which is quite a variety! Then on their day, they share about their day- whether it's culture, tradition, food, words, family... and at the end, the teacher makes a calendar with each student's favorite day in it so they can all remember each other.
  WonderlandOfBooks | May 3, 2021 |
This is a great book for young to intermediate readers, preferably ages 7-10. This book describes a classroom where each student describes a holiday that they celebrate with their family that you normally wouldn't know about. ( )
  HunterBartoo | Mar 7, 2021 |
Primary. Each student in the class got to share about their favorite day of the year, usually based on a holiday or some other tradition from their culture. I would use this in the classroom to give a little introduction to many different cultures which we can explore more deeply later on.
  MadisonFissell | Mar 1, 2021 |
This is a great book for exploring different cultures within the United States. In a multicultural classroom, students present their favorite holidays to the rest of the class. ( )
  Hunley | Dec 7, 2020 |
Shelf Awareness

Musa is dubious when his teacher tells the class, "Look around the room. You don't know them now, but these faces will become some of your closest friends this year." Ms. Gupta tells them that the first day of school is her favorite day, and that for show-and-tell, each student will get to talk about their favorite day of the year. For Musa, that's easy - it's Eid! Musa's table-mates Moises, Mo, and Kevin share about Christmas/Las Posadas, Rosh Hashanah, and Pi Day, respectively. Ms. Gupta and the rest of the class joyfully participate in classroom celebrations, complete with decorations and food. Back matter includes a paragraph each about Eid al-Fitr, Rosh Hashanah, Las Posadas, and Pi Day, although there is no pronunciation guide.

Gorgeously diverse; outstanding.