dismiss

Sex robots & vegan meat : adventures at the…

Sex robots & vegan meat : adventures at the frontier of birth, food, sex &… (edition 2020)

by Jenny Kleeman

A timely investigation into the forces that are driving innovation in the four core areas of human experience: birth, food, sex and death. Sex Robots and Vegan Meat will take readers on a fascinating exploration of the changes afoot, and their implications for who we are as a society and as humans.What if we could have babies without having to bear children, eat meat without killing animals, have the perfect sexual relationship without compromise or choose the time of our painless death? To find out, Jenny Kleeman interviewed a sex robot, ate a priceless lab­grown chicken nugget, watched foetuses growing in plastic bags, and attended members­only meetings where people learn how to kill themselves.Many of the people Kleeman has met say they are finding solutions to problems that have always defined and constricted humankind. But what truly motivates them? What kind of person devotes their life to building a death machine? What kind of customer is desperate to buy an artificially intelligent sex doll - and why? Who is campaigning against these advances, and how are they trying to stop them? And what about the many unintended consequences such inventions will inevitably unleash? Sex Robots & Vegan Meat is not science fiction. It's not about what might happen one day - it's about what is happening right now, and who is making it happen. In the end, it asks a simple question: are we about to change what it means to be human forever?… (more)
Member:SamRaddatz
Title:Sex robots & vegan meat : adventures at the frontier of birth, food, sex & death
Authors:Jenny Kleeman
Info:London : Picador, 2020.
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Sex Robots & Vegan Meat: Adventures at the Frontier of Birth, Food, Sex & Death by Jenny Kleeman

Very disappointing that interesting and timely subjects such as sex-robots, lab-grown meat, extracorporeal pregnancy, and assisted dying are given such a thoughtless and unreflective treatment. We don't get a scientific or ethical view, only a sort of snarky journo opinion-piece that smacks too much of the Lifestyle-magazine. ( )
  SChant | Jun 1, 2021 |
It’s important to know that, of the innovations discussed here, no functional versions currently exist. So is Kleeman worrying us over nothing? Not entirely, since it seems likely they will go on the market one day, even if there’s no guarantee they will be desirable, let alone affordable. Reading her book, you are left dismayed not so much by what lies ahead as by the current reality of the men with planet-sized egos vying with one another to control birth, food, sex and death. It’s a habit that’s as old as the hills.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,989,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible