This Close to Okay: A Novel by Leesa…

This Close to Okay: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Leesa Cross-Smith (Author)

Member:JTimmins
Title:This Close to Okay: A Novel
Authors:Leesa Cross-Smith (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2021), 320 pages
Tags:attach on titan 2

This Close to Okay by Leesa Cross-Smith

This Close to Okay

I Picked Up This Book Because: Following the hype.

Media Type: Audiobook
Source: CCP Library
Dates Read: 5/18/21 - 5/24/21
Stars: 3 Stars

The Characters:

Tallie Clark:
Emmet:

The Story:

Different. Not highly dramatic. Just kind of a few days in the life of two people thrown together by chance. Some complicated thoughts on suicide, mental illness, family relationships.

The Random Thoughts: ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jun 2, 2021 |
Rounding it up to 3.5 stars.

Quite a unusual book. I had no idea where this was going with Tallulah (Tallie) and Emmett when she meets him on a rainy day on a bridge.

Emmett is very secretive about his life and Tallie doesn't know if that's his real name since he keeps everything close to him about his life. She's not that much better (he thinks she's a teacher). Not that she was about to tell him the truth either. That's one thing that bugged me throughout -- not that she didn't tell him but she kept analyzing him in her mind and asked him questions like a therapist would. People start to recognize him and the truth finally comes out about who he really is.

The ending was sort of open ended and have no idea what became of Emmett but it seems like Tallie got what she wanted out of li ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Apr 30, 2021 |
I finished this against my better judgment, thinking if I could get past the privacy invasion, lying by omission, and boundary violations (all done by a mental health therapist, btw) I could find the ‘cathartic novel about the life-changing weekend shared between two strangers: a therapist and the man she prevents from ending his life’ promised in the book's blurb on Goodreads. And sorry for the spoiler, but that was literally taken from the blurb’s first sentence. I tried mentally switching the gender of the ‘two strangers’ to see if that would make a difference in how I felt, and it did: it made their interactions seem downright predatory. The only positive thing I can say about finishing this is that I know I have now put the worst book I’ll read this year behind me. ( )
  wandaly | Apr 26, 2021 |
"Grief is complicated...bizarre...it can make us do all sorts of things."

A piercing and heart-rending narrative about two strangers, a fated encounter, and an emotional journey to being "This Close to Okay".

This is the story of a man on a bridge, who introduces himself as Emmett. Mysterious and not a fan of small talks...he wants to distance himself from everything by wanting to let go.

This is also about Tallie, a recently divorced therapist, who notices him. She becomes the one person who refuses to let him go.

This about a weekend of love, truth, grief, relationships, connections, self-forgiveness, self-destruction, and convalescence.

I had no idea what I was going into when I first received my finished ARC, courtesy of Grand Central Publishing and Goodreads. The title seems so lyrical and had me first thinking it would be a fast-paced and easy read. If I am being honest with myself, another contributing factor as to why I picked this up was because of how gorgeous the cover art is. I have never read anything by this author before. A disclosure that I am pleased I was able to rectify this year. The plan was to read it later into January and before the release date, so the story would be fresh in my mind. It took me 2 days to complete it and I was not prepared for how emotional and raw this would leave me. Cross-Smith wrote her characters as real and as human. It was refreshing to see a character like Emmett, who unquestionably did not correspond to the stereotype of a typical male alpha who is emotionally stunted.

In short, I ironically enjoyed reading this book and getting emotionally torn apart in the end. Normally I am not a big fan of alternating perspectives, but in this case, I have embraced it. It works and it gives us the readers, an understanding of the reasons behind each character's ulterior motives. This novel is by no means perfection, there were certain scenes and character personalities that I disliked. Then again, these were easily overlooked as I was too shattered by everything that was happening (certain scenes in the book) to truly care. Cross-Smith possesses a silver tongue and an unscrupulous mind; playing with our emotions by adding flirty and humorous scenes juxtaposition to the dark and tense ones. I am eager to read more of her work.

Fair warning: you might experience a Book Hangover after having read this book...it's best to let your mind and your heart recover before moving on to your next read. ( )
  michathebibliophile | Mar 2, 2021 |
Author Leesa Cross-Smith grew up telling stories without being sure that anyone would want to read hers. As a child, she cut out and laminated illustrations from catalogues and imagined full lives for them. Her new novel features the rescue of a suicidal man from a bridge by a passer-by and takes place over the course of a weekend. It is one of those stories you just plunge into - warm, consuming, filled with gentle wisdom and characters who struggle to get over trauma. The fateful decisions made are reasoned through and the essential trust between them is heartwarming. Risks are taken by Tallie and Emmett, but their essential goodness flows through the entire novel. It will thrill those readers who have just had it with unlikeables and with unreliable narrators. ( )
  froxgirl | Feb 6, 2021 |

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,241,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible