A Witchly Influence by Stephanie Grey

A Witchly Influence (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Stephanie Grey

3719657,219 (3.25)2
Fantasy. Fiction. Humor (Fiction.) HTML:

Get ready to have fun and be influenced!

Fate can show up as anything...

As a freshly minted divorcee, witch Carmen Devereaux returns to her hometown in North Carolina. With this decision comes another change in her life: Fate has decided that she is to become an Influencer, someone who guides others onto the path that they were meant to take. When she's assigned to Abby Windsor, a young schoolteacher, as well as her own stepbrother, Finn Cleary, she soon encounters several obstacles, including getting stuck in her own past. A quirky, fun, and lovable cast of characters, including Lenny the Snowmanâ??a grumpy, old snowman who really loves trashy reality shows, especially ones about real housewives; Egbert the Lobbyist Pencilâ??a pompous pencil who lobbies on magic and loves tasty cuisine; and Muse Siobhan Waters, who is thoughtful and down to earth, help guide and inspire Carmen whenever she gets stuck working on her assignment. Along the way, Carmen learns to influence others... and herself.

Humorous and light-hearted, A Witchly Influence is the perfect feel-good book of the year… (more)

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:A Witchly Influence
Authors:Stephanie Grey
Info:BHC Press
Collections:Currently reading, ebooks, Cover done
Tags:Fic, SF, !ER, _import200810

Work Information

A Witchly Influence by Stephanie Grey (2020)

English (19)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Carmen is a newly divorced witch who wants to restart her life where she had left it in her hometown. Instead of trying to find her next romantic adventure, she works on settling into her "Influencer" life.

The book kept reminding me of 'The Good Witch', and I liked that a lot.

It was a fun and quick read but it felt overwhelming at times. It does end on a possible sequel kind of note. So, I will keep my eye out for that.

Thank you to LibraryThing and the author for the e-arc.

(I had originally posted this review back in the day but, I am not sure why it said I had not reviewed it, so reposting) ( )
  AnrMarri | Feb 20, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked the main character Carmen, and I liked that the story didn't follow the obligatory romantic attraction path, but focused on her adjustment to her new work. The story did jump around quite a bit and had a lot going on, but in general it was easy to read and enjoyable in that it featured nice characters who you could feel for. ( )
  ronincats | Mar 27, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have already added review and its not showing here for some reason. I did read the book but had trouble continuing reading so I stopped reading... ( )
  najambus | Mar 15, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Early Reviewers program.

Light-hearted, fun romp of a book. Defies easy categorization, as others have noted, but that's ok. The story follows a newly divorced witch who returns to her hometown to pick up the pieces of her life. She becomes something called an Influencer, and has to figure out her new calling.

I was able to finish it in a few hours because it flowed so neatly through the story and the supporting characters - including a talking pencil - keeps things whimsical. Would look forward to reading more about Carmen and her world.
  boingerhead | Oct 9, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Witchly Influence is a new book by Stephanie Grey that I got through LT Early Readers.

It's a funny little book about modern witches - the "Bewitched" or even "Bell, Book and Candle" type of witches that use magic for cleaning the house and doing the dishes, but go to Starbucks, drive cars, take hot yoga classes and have romantic adventures.

So OK. Carman is a witch recently divorced from a mortal (A "Mundane") and assigned to work as an "Influencer" to do good work and help people with her powers. So we're kind of in "Touched by an Angel" territory too.

Carman is an engaging character and the book bubbles cheerfully along in a "Real Housewives of Salem Village" kind of mode. And there is time travel and "Fate" and a lot of things going on.

If there's a quibble its that there is just too! much! going on -- the author has thrown everything into the cauldron to see what bubbles. World building is harder than it looks.

But i enjoyed it and if this is a series, I'll be looking out for the next one. ( )
  magicians_nephew | Feb 16, 2021 |

Fantasy. Fiction. Humor (Fiction.) HTML:

Get ready to have fun and be influenced!

Fate can show up as anything...

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Stephanie Grey's book A Witchly Influence was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,005,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible