HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Faking It

by Rebecca Smith

642,421,601 (2.75)None
"I have never laughed out loud at a book so much in my life." Reader review⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Meet Hannah Thompson: wife, mother, teacher and... secret erotica author? My Guilt List: 1. If we have a date night then I'm always asleep before it's halfway through and honestly, if I had to choose, I'd rather have a hot bath and read my book than engage in any other nocturnal activity. 2. If we do actually have you-know-what then it's not unheard of for my mind to wander... and I'm not talking about sexy things - I'm talking about what food there is in the fridge and when the car is due for its next service. 3. I am struggling to write about anything that could be classed as even a little bit sexually adventurous which is a problem when I'm supposed to be an erotica writer and I am speaking at Sex Con in exactly one month. With a book to publicise, Hannah has no choice but trade her M&S cardis for S&M parties, and become her writing alter-ego. What could possibly go wrong... What readers are saying about Faking It: "How funny was this book!?! I loved it!" "I have never laughed out loud at a book so much in my life. This book was hilarious!!" "An absolute delight; funny (so funny!) and utterly charming. It was such fun to read and I loved it!" "It's a fun, funny, insightful, unique look into the life of a middle-aged mom who says 'I refuse to fade away'. I loved this book!" "This book was fabulous! As a married mother (and teacher) Hannah Thompson's character was so relatable and likeable. I laughed out loud and loved how real this book was." "This book was absolutely hilarious and with what's going on in the world at the moment it's a much needed read" "All I can say is this book is HILARIOUS! There was not a single moment where I was not laughing or enjoying myself reading this." "While the book has valuable things to say about the nature of marriage and motherhood, it really shines in its approach to sex (which is often discussed but tastefully depicted). The end result is heartwarming and affirming-a recognition that women have many responsibilities and being who they are is enough"… (more)

Slow to start, this book did win me over in the end. What kept me reading to get to the end? The humor. I always enjoy sarcastic characters and this part did not disappoint. However, the lead was a bit boring and the plot just didn't capture my attention enough. In the end, it wasn't horrible, but it isn't something I will read a second time.

Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to read this and give my honest opinion. ( )
  Jynell | Feb 24, 2022 |
So, Hannah is married with children at home, has written a published erotica novel titled More Than Sex under the pseudonym of Twinky Malone, and teaches part-time. Surely we can all agree that competing priorities and imposter syndrome can get in the way of success, right?

I found Hannah's predicament very relatable. She's got heart and struggles to juggle those priorities. Hannah figures out whose opinions matter the most to her and definitely has a story arc of change from the beginning to the end.

Some readers have found this laugh out loud funny but not me. I found some of the situations and descriptions to be humorous. Overall, this was a sweet, funny book. ( )
  astults | Sep 18, 2020 |
This is a sequel to More Than Just Mum. Hannah has just published her first book of humorous erotica. Now she has to do write a sequel, because readers want more. But nobody must know about her writing erotica, except her husband Nick, her mother and her best friend Cassie.
Hannah is a lovely person. Her life is so busy that I feel queasy just reading about it. She sends her son Dylan to uni and misses him and wonders if he'll manage without his mum. Her daughter Scarlet is quite a handful. And ten year old Benji is just adorable, but a handful too, in his own way. And Nick has his own hands full with Betty the Land Rover. On top of all that Hannah is writing a novel and trying to find her inner sex goddess.
At first I had a hard time getting in the book. But all of a sudden everything just clicked. This is a funny story and I giggled while reading. It could have been a little bit shorter though. Hannah's inner thoughts take over a big portion of the book. But I must admit her thoughts are funny. This book is about being a mum, wife, teacher and writer. It portrays life in its fullest. The author has a knack of writing about funny moments in a life.
Thank you NetGalley and One More Chapter for a copy of this book. ( )
  Helsky | Aug 25, 2020 |
Hmmm, this was just not what I was expecting which let me down. When I read the blurb, I was like yes, I need a good funny book that I could connect with, aaaannnnd this was not it. I wondered if I was just in a funk, because I had covid and it was pretty difficult at times but that wasn't the case with this book. I was sad I tend to reread books if I enjoy them and if I have restart the book a couple of times I know that that book is not for me, and guess what that was this book. I could say more, but why the gist is that I wouldn't recommend or read again.

rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) voluntarily reviewed with my own thoughts and opinions. ( )
  NelisPelusa | Jul 12, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,615,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible