Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100%…

Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema (edition 2020)

by Lindy West (Author)

Performing Arts. Sociology. Nonfiction. HTML:**Your Favorite Movies, Re-Watched**

New York Times opinion writer and bestselling author Lindy West was once the in-house movie critic for Seattle's alternative newsweekly The Stranger, where she covered film with brutal honesty and giddy irreverence. In Shit, Actually, Lindy returns to those roots, re-examining beloved and iconic movies from the past 40 years with an eye toward the big questions of our time: Is Twilight the horniest movie in history? Why do the zebras in The Lion King trust Mufasa-WHO IS A LION-to look out for their best interests? Why did anyone bother making any more movies after The Fugitive achieved perfection? And, my god, why don't any of the women in Love, Actually ever fucking talk?!?!
From Forrest Gump, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and Bad Boys II, to Face/Off, Top Gun, and The Notebook, Lindy combines her razor-sharp wit and trademark humor with a genuine adoration for nostalgic trash to shed new critical light on some of our defining cultural touchstones-the stories we've long been telling ourselves about who we are. At once outrageously funny and piercingly incisive, Shit, Actually reminds us to pause and ask, "How does this movie hold up?", all while teaching us how to laugh at the things we love without ever letting them or ourselves off the hook.
Shit, Actually is a love letter and a break-up note all in one: to the films that shaped us and the ones that ruined us. More often than not, Lindy finds, they're one and the same.

.… (more)
Member:tehgrouse
Title:Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema
Authors:Lindy West (Author)
Info:Hachette Books (2020), 272 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema by Lindy West

Movies in Fifteen Minutes by Cleolinda Jones (nessreader)
    nessreader: Snark on blockbusters. If you like one of these there's a good chance you'll like the other

The Top Gun and Twilight reviews killed me.
  hannerwell | Feb 24, 2024 |
i am pretty positive that i would feel literally completely differently about this book had i read it myself instead of listening to the author read the audiobook. but since i went that route, i can say that it slays. this is so funny, in so many places. i had to pause it over and over again to actually laugh out loud, which i virtually never do. and i thought i'd never pick this up because even though i like lindy west, i don't get pop culture stuff and figured i'd miss all the references. turns out that even though there is like maybe 1 movie in this entire book (top gun) that i both have seen and remembered probably enough of to really "get" the essay, i found pretty much every one of these essays so funny and/or worth listening to anyway. i enjoyed this so much. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Dec 22, 2023 |
Road trip audiobook!

Lindy West recaps 23 movies from start to finish, interjecting her snarky thoughts on their faults and strengths as she goes. The first thing I learned is that West and I have similar taste in what we're willing to watch as I have seen 22 of the films (I have never seen Jurassic Park though I have seen tons of spoilers for it). It helps that most of them are from the '90s, so there has been plenty of time to have caught them on DVD or streaming in the ensuing decades, though I saw most of them first run in the theater.

Though it leans a little too heavily on describing the plots of each movie, I did enjoy West's criticisms and laughed out loud several times while driving around Wisconsin and Iowa.

FOR REFERENCE:

• Dude, You Gotta Stop Listening to Your Mom: Forrest Gump
• Literally a Bird’s Diary: The Notebook
• Harry Plot Hole: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
• Big Boy Freaky Friday: Face/Off
• Time Travel Doesn’t Make Sense and I Think We Should Make It Illegal: Back to the Future Part II
• I’d Prefer a Highway Away from the Danger Zone, but Okay: Top Gun
• The Shawnsnake Redumptruck: The Shawshank Redemption
• Know Your Enemy: American Pie
• Acknowledgments ( )
  villemezbrown | Aug 5, 2023 |
Kind of an impulse selection at the library for the Feminist Book Club Readathon, because I have read the odd Lindy West essay here and there and loved them, but I hadn't gotten around to reading more yet.

I chose this book to start my second day of the readathon and it was SUCH a good choice. This had me not just cackling, but crying so hard from laughing so hard I literally couldn't read. I had to read a few choice excerpts out loud to my husband, and now I have a whole list of movies I need to rewatch.

Not going to lie, I am more than a little tempted to go out and buy my own copy just to keep on hand. ( )
  greeniezona | Jul 31, 2023 |
The author rewatches a lot of 80s/90s popular films and cracks wise.

This book has a pretty slight "let's print a blog" conceit but is also very funny. Also, her take on Top Gun -- and the fact that Maverick is the villain of Top Gun -- is very wise.

The 2003 vibe -- culturally, socially, politically, spiritually -- was very "energy drink commercial directed by Mark McGrath, and not Mark McGrath in his prime, either." [136]

On growing up in the 90s: Can you imagine what that kind of demographic does to a person? To be of the demographic that has a Ron Burgundy quote for every occasion, without the understanding that Ron Burgundy is a satire? [230] ( )
  proustbot | Jun 29, 2023 |
To Dr. Richard Kimble, who didn't kill his wife, not that I care.
I love making fun of movies.
One edition shares ISBN 0275948102 with Essentials of Amateur Sports Law by Glenn M. Wong.

Contents:
• Dude, You Gotta Stop Listening to Your Mom: Forrest Gump
• Literally a Bird's Diary: The Notebook
• Harry Plot Hole: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
• Big Boy Freaky Friday: Face/Off
• Time Travel Doesn't Make Sense and I Think We Should Make It Illegal: Back to the Future Part II
• I'd Prefer a Highway Away from the Danger Zone, but Okay: Top Gun
• The Shawnsnake Redumptruck: The Shawshank Redemption
• Know Your Enemy: American Pie
• Acknowledgments

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,795,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible