Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's…

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac: The Commemorative… (original 1974; edition 2010)

by Elizabeth Zimmermann

This expanded hardcover edition of a perennial bestseller presents 23 patterns from one of America's most creative knitters. Classic projects for Aran sweaters, mittens, moccasins, and other items can be followed by intermediate to advanced knitters or adapted into original works. New features include color photos of the finished patterns, sizing charts, and more.… (more)
Member:wintermagic
Title:Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac: The Commemorative Edition
Authors:Elizabeth Zimmermann
Info:Dover Publications (2010), Edition: Cmv Rep, Hardcover, 176 pages

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmermann (1974)

Reading Elizabeth Zimmermann is like having a conversation with your best knitting pals—the ones who are more advanced than you, but who are great teachers and love sharing their knowledge. Her writing is breezy and chatty; she makes the most complicated techniques seem like a piece of cake. The Almanac is written diary style and features one project per month, all classics that may not fly for modern wearers (e.g., boxy aran sweaters). But understanding the history of a garment and fundamentals of construction give one a foundation for adaptation. I will very likely add this book to my collection (I read a library copy) to keep around for reference. ( )
  revafisheye | Jan 10, 2020 |
The world lost a wonderful knitter and teacher when Ms. Zimmermann died. I would have loved to have the chance to meet and knit with her.

This is an excellent book for knitters of any level. Once you can knit and purl, this book can help you do pretty much anything else you may want to do :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I initially got this book because E.Z. is one of my favorite knitting authors. (And because I really, really wanted to make the January Aran Sweater). As with all of her writing, this book is clear, usable for both beginner and experienced knitters, and filled with knitting digressions that come in handy for all types of projects. ( )
  marcella_falquez | Nov 20, 2016 |
I've been thinking of delving into the world of knitting design for a while now and reading this book stoked my desire to do so. Zimmerman's voice is completely her own and I appreciated the no-nonsense approach to being a "thinking knitter."

Note: this isn't really a pattern book, so if that's what you're looking for, I wouldn't recommend it. There are "patterns" but they read more like design notes than anything else. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |

Elizabeth Zimmermannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zimmerman, TomPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Unsure Knitter,
To the Blind Follower,
and
To all those who do not yet know that they can design their own knitting,
this book is encouragingly dedicated.
Once upon a time there was an old woman who loved to knit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,157,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible