Blood Heir (Kate Daniels World Book 1) by…

Blood Heir (Kate Daniels World Book 1) (edition 2021)

by Ilona Andrews (Author)

Series: Kate Daniels (11)

Member:Cats57
Title:Blood Heir (Kate Daniels World Book 1)
Authors:Ilona Andrews (Author)
Info:NYLA (2021), 359 pages
Rating:***1/2

Blood Heir by Ilona Andrews

Iron and Magic by Ilona Andrews (JoBass)
    JoBass: Both Blood Heir and Iron and Magic are spin-offs from the Kate Daniels series, yet each has their own, unique flavor.

Eight years ago Julie Olsen left Atlanta in order to figure out who she wants to be and where she feels she belongs, to figure out her magic.

Now, she’s back, with new power, a new face, and a new name: Aurelia Ryder. All this helps with the reason she’s returned which revolves around thwarting a prophecy that would mean Kate’s death if it’s allowed to come to fruition. As we all know, the future’s path is malleable, but if Julie interacts with Kate, the prophecy is guaranteed to happen.

However, trying remain low-key will prove difficult as she’s pulled into investigating the murder of a beloved Priest. Things are further complicated when Julie comes face to face with Derek Gaunt, her onetime childhood crush, who also left Atlanta a couple years after Julie, except no one knew where he went – he didn’t come looking for her that’s for sure.

Julie has more pressing matters than dealing with a blast from her past, but seeing that Derek has entangled himself in the same mystery, they just might have to put their animosity aside and work together.

So, truth, the early serialization of this book on Ilona Andrews’ website really got me through the early waves of the pandemic when me trying to sit down and read most anything felt more like a chore than escape. While this finished copy is not exactly the same as what was started all those months ago, I’m still brought back to that, much-needed, feeling from the first time I started reading through the Kate Daniels series years and years ago.

I loved every minute I spent reading Blood Heir and it’s certainly a book I wish I could go back and read for the first time again.

I think the nostalgia factor fits well into the overall story where we have Julie coming back to Atlanta. Seeing as how she was raised, and heavily influenced by, Kate it makes complete sense that she would carry herself in a similar fashion. I loved the subtle differences in the way Julie embraces her power, the fact that she actively seeks out her grandmother (Erra) and grandfather (Roland) as her mentors.

Of course there is no way I can go through a review without mentioning Julie and Derek. Longtime fans of the series will know this for the slow-burn it’s meant to be. Despite having waited through so many books at this point, I really do appreciate Ilona Andrews’ taking their time to build these characters up as individuals first. Seriously, though, each scene they have together simply sparks. A whole book of them bantering back and forth would have been sufficient for me! Honestly, though, I liked seeing how they’ve grown, yet still remain true to the characters we’ve known from the beginning. Since the book is from Julie’s point of view, Derek still has this slight air of mystery about him that I’d love to see explored in future books (fingers crossed!).

The only nitpicky thing I have is the mystery got a little too tangled for me in places. I’d have to stop periodically and reconnect the dots about who what looking for whom and why. It does help that the story is full of exposition. If you haven’t done a re-read of the OG series in a while you won’t be lost, but it’s also very welcoming for new readers.

Overall, I loved getting back into this world. Seeing what favorite characters are up to, seeing that next generation come to the forefront. It’s a wonderful, natural progression for a series I hold very near and dear. ( )
  AmyM3317 | Jan 20, 2021 |
I loved the book. It is perhaps not Ilona Andrews best work, but it is warm, positive, and written in response to clamoring fans who want to know more about Julie Olsen, Kate's adopted daughter. For greatest enjoyment, it is recommended that you read the Kate Daniels series since this book picks up many of the strings from those books. Many well-loved characters are mentioned, and there is a lively discussion of the eagle's name on the Ilona Andrews blog. It is a book calculated to harrow your feelings and then leave you feeling that the world does have its moments of happy goodness. ( )
  JoBass | Jan 14, 2021 |
3.5 Stars---- Dear Gods and Goddesses, when will Goodread allow half stars as LibraryThing does???

I am not as enamored with this book as everyone else seems to be, and I'll tell you why. There is really no difference between this book and the Kate and Curran books. Well, except for the fact that Kate had to fight a lot more for her power. We even have the trope that there is no ending to the bad guy; Julie can't 'expose' herself, so she goes under an AKA and has also had a, well, so I don't spoil things -a total make-over.

I enjoyed the book, but I didn't LOVE the book. I will do a second read to see if I feel less like I'm reading a copy of the K and C books, and hopefully, I'll find something fresher about this one ( )
  Cats57 | Jan 13, 2021 |
I loved this book! I have to admit that when I found out that the Kate Daniels series would end with the tenth book, I was heartbroken. These were characters that I loved and a world that I enjoyed visiting (even if it is dangerous most of the time) and I just did not want to see it end. This book brought me back to that world that I love so much. We get to see some familiar characters in this story but it is from a fresh, new perspective. This book was everything that I had hoped it would be and more.

Julie left Atlanta eight years ago but she's back and she is a whole new person. Julie is now known as Aurelia Ryder and is not recognizable to anyone who knew her as Kate and Curran's ward. She needs to keep her identity a secret and will go to great lengths to do so. Aurelia has acquired a lot of power and skill during the eight years she was gone while training with her grandmother. She is back in Atlanta to try to stop a prophecy that leaves her adopted mother dead. She will do whatever it takes to protect those she cares about.

There have been a string of murders that seems to be tied to the prophecy and Aurelia is in town to get to the bottom of things. Of course, things can never be easy and she runs into one challenge after another as she works to solve the case. It quickly becomes apparent that the culprit will present quite a challenge. As she works to make progress on the case, she is also trying to protect her identity while constantly running into a certain wolf from her past.

I loved the characters in this book. I thought that I knew Julie but she has grown so much over the years, she really was a new person. She is loyal to her family, highly competent, intelligent, and able to think several steps ahead at all times. She is not the only one who has changed over the years and some of the other character's transformations are just as dramatic. Some characters have grown up, literally. It was so much fun to see the younger characters, including Conlan, play a larger role and to hear about some of the trouble that they have caused over the years.

This book was very well written. It had all of the excitement and action that I have come to expect from this writing pair. I thought that the action scenes were perfectly balanced with the scenes that were more character-driven. The mystery was complex and kept me guessing and there were some pretty big surprises. Huge surprises! I loved how imaginative and unique some of the scenes were. The banter between the characters was entertaining and helped to keep the story from getting too serious.

I would highly recommend this book to others. This was a book that was next to impossible to put down once I picked it up and I found it enormously entertaining from beginning to end. I cannot wait to read more of Aurelia Ryder's adventures.

I received a digital review copy of this book from NYLA via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jan 6, 2021 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in the Aurelia Ryder series, it takes place some years after the Kate Daniels book end. It features Kate’s ward, Julie, as the main character. I got a copy of this book from the publishers through NetGalley to review.

Story (5/5): I kind of hate reviewing books I love because I feel like I can never do them justice. I will just start by saying this was so, so good. I have missed the Kate Daniels world so much and this book was everything I hoped it would be. This follows Julie's story and is set some years after the events in the final Kate Daniels series. Julie/Aurelia has received a prophecy that an ancient child-devouring god will destroy the world and kill Kate if Aurelia doesn’t find a way to stop her first.

Characters (5/5): Julie/Aurelia is a total badass, she’s received extensive training from both Roland and Erra...so you can imagine what a powerhouse she is. You see a lot of cameos from old characters from the Kate Daniels series, as well as meet a lot of really wonderful new characters. The characters in this book are just awesome and so complex, definitely read the Kate Daniels series before this one.

Setting (5/5): Atlanta has changed some but is still just as awesome. I always love the way this world shifts between magic and tech; it’s just so well done and so well thought out. It was a pleasure to be back in this alternate Atlanta.

Writing Style (5/5): Every time I read an Andrews book I am reminded what an awesome urban fantasy should be. The world is unique and intricate, the pace is fast, the characters are phenomenal, and the plot just sucks you right in. There are a ton of amazing action scenes, the random dangerous monster, and a large new threat to Atlanta, Kate and the world as a whole. Everything is just so well balanced; there is danger but also humor and it’s soooo entertaining!

My Summary (5/5): Overall I absolutely loved this and can't wait for the next book in the series. I pretty much devoured this!!! It was so much fun to be back in the Kate Daniels world, I am dying to read the next book already and fearful I might be waiting years before I get to read it :-) As mentioned above, I would definitely recommend reading the Kate Daniels series before you read this one. Although they do a cute Q&A type of thing at the end of the book to give you some background if you try to dive into this book without reading that series first. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 23, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

*Atlanta was always a dangerous city. Now, as waves of magic and technology compete for supremacy, it’s a place caught in a slow apocalypse, where monsters spawn among the crumbling skyscrapers and supernatural factions struggle for power and survival.

Eight years ago, Julie Lennart left Atlanta to find out who she was. Now she’s back with a new face, a new magic, and a new name—Aurelia Ryder—drawn by the urgent need to protect the family she left behind. An ancient power is stalking her adopted mother, Kate Daniels, an enemy unlike any other, and a string of horrifying murders is its opening gambit.

If Aurelia’s true identity is discovered, those closest to her will die. So her plan is simple: get in, solve the murders, prevent the prophecy from being fulfilled, and get out without being recognized. She expected danger, but she never anticipated that the only man she'd ever loved could threaten everything.

One small misstep could lead to disaster. But for Aurelia, facing disaster is easy; it’s relationships that are hard.*

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,622,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible