Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the…

Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Eric Metaxas

Tells the story of the remarkable life of the British abolitionist William Wilberforce, and his extraordinary role as a human rights activist, cultural reformer, and member of Parliament. At the center of this heroic life was a passionate twenty-year fight to abolish the British slave trade, a battle Wilberforce won in 1807, as well as efforts to abolish slavery itself in the British colonies, a victory achieved just three days before his death in 1833. This is a man of whom it can truly be said: he changed the world. Before Wilberforce, few thought slavery was wrong. After Wilberforce, most societies in the world came to see it as a great moral wrong.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:derekstaff
Title:Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery
Authors:Eric Metaxas
Info:HarperOne (2007), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**
Tags:christianity, history, biography, British history

Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery by Eric Metaxas (2007)

Quote (Eric Metaxes): "William Wilberforce was simply the greatest social reformer in the history of the world." ( )
  jamesrrouse | Aug 27, 2017 |
A fairly decent biography, written in an anachronistic style. The main trouble I have is the Metaxas sides so fully with his biographical subject that he whitewashes Wilberforce's chauvinism and somewhat patronizing attitudes to wards Indians, for example. Still, worth reading. ( )
  dasam | Jul 25, 2017 |

This is an inspiring book about the end of slavery in the British Empire, and the man who was behind it all. Wilberforce worked tirelessly for decades before he saw the fruits of his efforts. He was an exceptional man who deserves to be more widely known. The (often horrifying) social and political landscape of the times features prominently in the narrative as well.

The purple prose made the read a bit tedious at times, and the author’s voice was too prominent for me to give it 4 stars, but it’s still a worthy read. Just know going into it that this isn't a scholarly bio but a movie tie-in. ( )
1 vote janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Amazing Grace was wonderful! It provided a good picture of the society in which William Wilberforce lived and how unusual it was for the British at the time to actually live as Christians rather than pay the lip service most gave to the Church of England. Wilberforce had an early exposure to the Methodist faith but fell away in his teen and college years at Oxford. He partied hard and studied little. But he reconnected with men and women of faith and over a period of time developed a living faith. That faith convinced him that all men were equal in God's sight and his great 28-year fight for the abolition of the slave trade began. He personally knew John Newton and John Wesley, was the best friend of William Pitt, who became prime minister at 24, and met Napoleon and Marie Antoinette before the revolution. The book is filled with great heart and great history. It's also one of the few books I've read in forever that required me to pull out my dictionary. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
I came to this book primarily because I was so affected by Mr. Metaxas' book on the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer that I wanted to read more of his work. My exposure to Wilberforce had been primarily through the movie of the same title and wasn't sure if I was getting a manuscript that would simply be a retelling of the same story or something new.
It is something new.

As with Bonhoeffer, I have come away from this book with another new spiritual hero in William Wilberforce. In him we find a man whose faith translated into action in a way that should move us all. In an era where it is easy to be cynical about politicians, Wilberforce shows us the power that a man of principle can have when he is willing to persevere through the slings and arrows. Eric Metaxas writing ability makes this an even greater joy. Highly recommended! ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,205,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible