A Fatal Lie

by Charles Todd

This is the first book that I've read in this long running series but not my first book by this author. I've read and enjoyed a couple books in the Bess Crawford series so I jumped at the chance to read this one even though it's book #23. It honestly didn't affect my enjoyment in the slightest as I really enjoyed my time with this book. This book was a slow burn in the best of ways. I love a good historical mystery that just pulls me into both the story and the time period that it is set in. I found myself following along with Inspector Ian Rutledge as he struggled to figure out the identity of the dead man and then to also find the killer. I loved the quiet suspense that was present throughout this book. This isn't a mystery or book that is meant to be rushed through. Instead, it is one to immerse yourself in and get lost within the pages. I found it interesting reading and learning about Ian Rutledge. There are some obvious things in his past that I was missing out on that I'm guessing that we would have learned more about in previous books. I definitely plan on going back to the beginning of this series at some point in the very near future.

Overall, this is a book that I think that historical mystery fans and mystery readers in general will enjoy. Just make sure that you go in with the correct expectations that this is a mystery and not a thriller that you will fly through. Readers that enjoy slow burns and detective (inspector) focused stories should definitely give this book or series a try! Recommended.

Bottom Line: A slow burning mystery that pulled me into its pages.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher. Honest thoughts are my own. ( )
  samantha.1020 | Sep 28, 2021 |
Rutledge is sent to investigate a battered and unidentified body in a remote area. When he identifies the man and begins to track his movements to find the killer other people are killed. He then learns of a missing child and the urgency of the case increases, save other witnesses and find and save the child. Tensions left behind at Scotland Yard are referred to but not resolved
  ritaer | Sep 17, 2021 |
2021 Book #54. 2021. Insp Rutledge of Scotland Yard (c. 1920) is sent to Wales to investigate the death of an unidentified man who fell (or was pushed) from the structure on the cover. 23rd in a series. Interesting setting (post WW1 England) but way too complicated of a plot. ( )
  capewood | Sep 15, 2021 |
You'll notice from the list below that I haven't read all of this series, but they are certainly worth following.

While each adds to the development of Ian Rutledge's character, each certainly works quite well as a stand alone. Most are set in the decade after World War One and Rutledge, an Inspector with Scotland Yard, is battling the aftermath of the war. The complexity of this case is typical of most of the stories. The body of an ex-soldier turns up in a river in Wales, and from there Rutledge establishes the identity of the man, and looks for the reason why he is so far from home.

It is typical of Rutledge that he goes that extra mile, looking for why Sam Milford has been killed and by whom. It is a tangled trail that leads him to look for a missing child, why she has been kidnapped, and to uncovering deaths of people who at first glance don't seem to have anything to do with the original case.

The main plot is surrounded by a number of sub-plots, many of them giving us further background to Rutledge himself.

My rating: 4.7

4.7, NO SHRED OF EVIDENCE - #18
4.7, RACING THE DEVIL - #19
4.7, THE GATEKEEPER - #20
4.5, THE BLACK ASCOT - #21
4.8, A DIVIDED LOYALTY - #22 ( )
  smik | Sep 12, 2021 |
A Fatal Lie (2021) (Insp. Rutledge #23) by Charles Todd. The Inspector Rutledge mysteries have evolved over the years. For more than 20 books the Inspector has had his constant companion,
Hamish MacLeod, buried within his skull. The voice of the long dead Scot has been his warning to danger and guide to his insanity, but over the long series there has been a lessening of the need for Hamish to come calling. It is a good sign that Rutledge is dealing with his PTSD after WWI.
While Hamish plays a good part in this book also, he isn’t to the forefront as often and I like that Rutledge seems to be coping with his guilt to a greater degree.
The story is set in Northern Wales.when a body is discovered in a river. There is an aqueduct nearby that it appears he fell from. But the body is not that of a local, nor that of the riverboaters who use the aqueduct. Soon the local constable put in a request to Scotland Yard for help.
Rutledge is sent, not for his prowess as a detective, but mostly to get him out of the Chief Superintendent’s sight. But the Super is doing our hero a favor by getting him out from the dreaded paperwork and into the field, although a long way from London. Despite his initial pleasure with the assignment, Rutledge quickly finds himself embroiled in a very dark mystery. The dead man is identified as Sam Milford, a well respected man but not from the area. The questions come in a rush starting with why was he up on the aqueduct, who was he with and why was he pushed off.
I found this to be a very nice mystery with the clues coming slower than the lies of the locals, yet with the unraveling of both satisfying. This is one of the stronger stories coming from the writing duo of ‘Charles Todd” in the last several years. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Aug 20, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

In one of his most puzzling cases, Scotland Yard Inspector Ian Rutledge must delve deep into a dead man’s life and his past to find a killer determined to keep dark secrets buried.

“If there’s ever been a more complex and compelling hero in crime fiction than Inspector Rutledge, I can’t think of one.”—Jeffery Deaver

A peaceful Welsh village is thrown into turmoil when a terrified boy stumbles on a body in a nearby river. The man appears to have fallen from the canal aqueduct spanning the valley. But there is no identification on the body, he isn’t a local, and no one will admit to having seen him before. With little to go on, the village police turn to Scotland Yard for help.

When Inspector Ian Rutledge is sent from London to find answers, he is given few clues—a faded military tattoo on the victim’s arm and an unusual label in the collar of his shirt. They eventually lead him to the victim’s identity: Sam Milford. By all accounts, he was a good man and well-respected. Then, why is his death so mysterious? Looking for the truth, Rutledge uncovers a web of lies swirling around a suicidal woman, a child’s tragic fate, another woman bent on protecting her past. But where among all the lies is the motive for murder?

To track a killer, Rutledge must retrace Milford’s last journey. Yet death seems to stalk his every move, and the truth seems to shift at every turn. Man or woman, this murderer stays in the shadows, and it will take desperate measures to lure him—or her—into the light.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,534,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible