Stargazer: A Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito…

Stargazer: A Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito Novel (A Leaphorn, Chee &… (edition 2021)

by Anne Hillerman (Autor)

Member:mansonlib
Title:Stargazer: A Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito Novel (A Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito Novel, 6, Band 6)
Authors:Anne Hillerman (Autor)
Info:Harper (2021), 336 pages
Collections:Stored, Your library

Stargazer: A Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito Novel by Anne Hillerman

STARGAZER by Anne Hillerman is a Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito novel. STARGAZER is the sixth book written by Anne Hillerman who took over writing about these engaging characters after her father, Tony Hillerman, passed away. It is the twenty-fourth in the series.
I always enjoy the ‘Author’s Note’ and ‘Acknowledgments’. The Glossary includes Navajo words and their meanings. This title also includes ‘Star Terms’ - in the Navajo language and their meanings.

I am quite taken with these books and have read every one. They transport me to an area of the world that I am not very familiar with. The titles are all extremely culturally sensitive, respectful, interesting and educational.
The characters are down-to-earth, hard-working and very clever police officers. I like the increased presence of Bernie Manuelito (Jim Chee’s wife and fellow officer). I also like the characters of Jim Chee, Joe Leaphorn and his friend/partner Louisa.
It is a crime drama; a police procedural, but with a Navajo twist.
STARGAZER is a terrific read. **** ( )
  diana.hauser | Jun 1, 2021 |
Although just an incidental facet of the story, the concern forabused and exploited single women is clearly an important issue for Anne Hillerman. She presents it nicely with being preachy.
Including radio astronomy in the story adds an interesting dimension.
Joe Leaphorn seems more human and endearing than every.
The reader - or at least this reader is left wondering whether Bernie’s friend murdered her husband until things are made clear at the conclusion. ( )
  waldhaus1 | May 23, 2021 |
I was both relieved and nervous when Anne Hillerman began writing new volumes in the Leaphorn-Chee-Manuelito series started by her father. Stargazer is, I think, the best of these new additions. The characters are every bit as complex and rich as they ever were. I particularly appreciate the growth in number and depth of female characters.

The mystery here is "who killed the astronomer?" His ex-wife has confessed to the crime, but Officer Bernadette Manuelito, who has known her since their childhood, isn't convinced. There are plenty of candidates, with both personal and professional relationships with the astronomer. I found myself guessing as I read and changes my mind several times thanks to the clues and red herrings offered by Hillerman. Whether or not you're familiar with this series, Stargazer is a great read, one that both newbies and long-time fans can enjoy.

I received a free electronic copy of this book from the publisher for review purposes; The opinions are my own. ( )
  Sarah-Hope | Apr 19, 2021 |
Another enjoyable book in the Leaphorn and Chee series brings the clear night sky of New Mexico into the storyline. Bernadette Manuelito of the Navajo Police finds herself exhausted as she works to solve the mystery of a dead man. Her friend, a teacher, is claiming responsibility for the murder, but Bernadette does not believe her. Along with this she’s stumbled upon a dead baby and beaten-up woman on a search for the owners of some stray cattle. Add in that her husband, is not her temporary boss, and her mother’s dementia is causing her guilt and Bernadette is one exhausted woman. ( )
  brangwinn | Apr 13, 2021 |
When a man is discovered in his car by the side of the road, shot dead, it looks like a suicide, but Bernie Manuelito's former college roommate comes forward to confess to murder of her husband, who she is trying to divorce. Things just don't add up, and the alleged killer isn't helping the investigation. Meanwhile, Bernie is finding it irritating to have Chee as her boss, though he dislikes being in that position temporarily even more than she does, and she worries about her mother's advancing dementia (something that has personal significance for the author, as she reveals in a poignant afterword). Joe Leaphorn has his own case to pursue and dithers about whether to commit to an anxiety-producing flight to D.C. with his girlfriend, who is understandably frustrated by his unwillingness to commit. The resolution of this conflict makes the otherwise distracting subplot worthwhile. The leisurely unfolding of the story suffers a bit from uneven pacing, a disproportionate amount of attention to the characters' personal lives compared to the mystery, and a fairly obvious missed clue or two, but the case is resolved in a dramatic finish.

I enjoy this series and, while I didn't find this as strong an entry as some, I liked the visit to the Very Large Array telescope facility (where the dead man had worked) and the parallel introduction to indigenous astronomy. The author continues her father's informative and respectful portrayal of Dine culture and hopefully holds open the door for indigenous writers.
  bfister | Oct 7, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,001,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible