Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

Midnight Sun (edition 2020)

by Stephenie Meyer (Author)

Series: Twilight Saga (5)

Member:Erikapayne
Title:Midnight Sun
Authors:Stephenie Meyer (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2020), 672 pages

Work Information

Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

It was interesting to hear the events of Twilight from Edward's point of view - except that there just wasn't enough differences to make it completely engaging. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Nov 13, 2021 |
The most I got from this book is my strong desire of following my joke ship Edward/Jacob into the fanfic realm. Lol. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |
I think this should have been published back when it was first leaked so many years ago. High school/college-age me was a big Twilight fan, even for its many flaws. I fangirled over Robert Pattinson with the best of them (to a lesser extent than some of the diehards, but still.) I went to see the movies at midnight with friends from college or work. I attended a book release party for Breaking Dawn and regretted spending the money on a hardcover the next day when I realized how awful the conclusion to the series was.

And then life went on... I remember the Twilight frenzy fondly, and I've rewatched the movies with my sister in years since (making something of a drinking game out of it because they're so entirely silly - how could we not?) Never once did I wish that Stephenie Meyer had gotten over her (arguably justifiable) temper tantrum and publish this book. I actually remember saying at the time, "Oh, she'll wait until she needs more money and then she'll publish it." But then came other books: about the minor character Bree Tanner; some graphic novels; even a gender-bent version of the original book (which I see no point in reading whatsoever.)

But a decade later? I was not expecting her to wait this long to publish Midnight Sun even with the inevitable rewrites and edits. I know that people still read the Twilight Saga and enjoy it (I work in a middle school library - I get it), but for those like me who are now in our 30s or older? That ship has pretty much sailed... I still read this obviously, mainly for nostalgia's sake. Now that I'm older and (hopefully) wiser, I'm viewing everything with different perspectives: namely Edward and Bella's strange co-dependence on each other.

It just makes me uncomfortable, especially from Edward's perspective where he literally spies on everyone else's thoughts: all of the time. Not only is that constant invasion of privacy annoying, Edward's inner monologue is exhausting, between his desire to kill people for thinking bad things of/at Bella; his lamenting of how they would never work together as a couple; his insatiable thirst for her blood (can we talk about how much they discuss her smell or the smell of things in general? Yikes.) Don't get me started on all of the times he hid in Bella's bedroom while she slept. If it was creepy back in 2005, it's even creepier in 2020. With such a long book, I just feel tired and relieved that I'm done with it.

I did genuinely like learning more about the other Cullens. A book from one of their perspectives would have been refreshing compared to this, which just feels like a rehash. Too bad it wasn't released a decade ago - I'd have been a little more excited about this book then.
1 vote bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
I read and really like the twilight series, I am of two mind of this book as told from Edward's point of view since the plot can't change, sometimes I felt it drone on too much. ( )
  Baochuan | Oct 5, 2021 |
I should note that I did not finish this book and will remove from this years reading goal. This book does provide some interesting Edward perspectives and vampire backstory early on ( so three stars for that) BUT the audiobook narrator was hard to listen to and the repetition of the text and phrases were dizzying. A truly unbelievable love story and very possessive tendencies (like we didnt already know). ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abel, JakeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to all the readers who have been such a happy part of my life for the last fifteen years. When we first met, many of you were young teenagers with bright, beautiful eyes full of dreams for the future. I hope that in the years that have passed, you've all found your dreams and that the reality of them was even better than you'd hoped.
This was the time of day when I most wished I were able to sleep.
This work is the completed novel. Please do not combine with the incomplete draft from 2008.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible