Witness for the prosecution by Agatha…

Witness for the prosecution (edition 1992)

by Agatha Christie

When wealthy spinster Emily French is found murdered, suspicion falls on Leonard Vole, the man to whom she hastily bequeathed her riches before she died. Leonard assures the investigators that his wife, Romaine Heilger, can provide them with an alibi. However, when questioned, Romaine informs the police that Vole returned home late that night covered in blood. During the trial, Ms. French's housekeeper, Janet, gives damning evidence against Vole, and, as Romaine's cross-examination begins, her motives come under scrutiny from the courtroom. One question remains, will justice prevail?… (more)
Member:sandypiper
Title:Witness for the prosecution
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Milano, Mondadori, 1992

The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories by Agatha Christie (Author)

English (27)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (30)
11 tales of baffling crime and brilliant deduction showcase Agatha Christie at her dazzling best.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 1, 2021 |
Thought this was a collection of above-average Christie stories, many with a spooky, psychological, or spiritual vibe. My favorites were The Mystery of the Blue Jar, Mr Eastwood's Adventure (though I think it should have been called the Mystery of the Second Cucumber, come on), and Philomel Cottage (that ending!!) ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
All in all I liked most of the stories in this collection. The story starring Poirot was the weakest in my opinion.

"Witness for the Prosecution" (5 stars)-A lawyer is trying to keep his client from the gallows. The man says his wife can prove that he was home at the time an elderly women was murdered. The wife seems feel of spite for some reason. A mysterious witness swears she can prove the man's innocence. The ending will knock your socks off.

"The Red Signal" (5 stars)-A dinner party leaves a man with the horrible feeling that something horrible is about to happen.

"The Fourth Man" (4 stars)-I did like that the story revolved around a man who knew the backstory to a famed woman with multiple personalities. I still don't really understand though the how behind some of this. No spoilers. Still a very good short story.

"S.O.S." (3.5 stars)-This one was so confusing. I had to read it through twice to just make out what was going on. A man stays at a cottage with a family and finds that someone wrote S.O.S. in dust in a nightstand in the bedroom he is staying in.

"Wireless" (3.5 stars)-A tale about greed that ends on a surprising note. I really did like the ending to this one since it reminds me of a type of ending that the show Tales from the Crypt would have done.

"The Mystery of the Blue Jar" (3 stars)-I thought the main character in this one was not that smart. The ending proved it. It felt a bit rushed to me too since once again I thought it was way too much set up for something that may not have worked out in the end. So what would have been the back-up plan?

"Sing a Song of Sixpence" (4 stars)-Honestly the ending cracked me up. A retired attorney is called upon by a young woman "he made love" to to help out figuring out who murdered her aunt. The lawyer in question spends a good deal of time talking about how she's not as attractive as she was when she was young. The reveal to who did the crime was interesting. I just laughed at the ending to this.

"The Mystery of the Spanish Shawl" (3 stars)-A man receives a phone call telling him he has to go and save a woman's life. I once again question the main character's intelligence. Even I realized something weird was going on.

"Philomel Cottage" (5 stars)-A newly wed woman is starting to get harbingers of death that revolve around an older love and her new husband. I loved the ending to this one. I also found an online link to this story if you care to read it: https://www.shortstoryproject.com/philomel-cottage/

"Accident" (5 stars)-This one had a really surprising ending. I enjoyed it a lot. It's about an ex-inspector who spies a woman who he believes to be a murderer. Everything that connects this woman shows that she seems to know some very unlucky people who keep having "accidents". By the end of the story you found out the truth.

"The Second Gong" (3 stars)-A locked room mystery starring Hercule Poirot. Ehh. Sorry, I was definitely not feeling this one at all. A weak ending which I thought was an above average short story collection. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Christie's bad guys brag
they can't resist showing off
I did it, here's why! ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
This was a quick read. I thought it would be better. I was drawn to it for the title story "Witness for the Prosecution". I've seen the movie so many times, but never read the story. I didn't realize it was a short story. This was the best one of the lot. I didn't understand the "Fourth Man". I saw the ending coming on "Where there's a will". The Blue Jar was very good as was the Mystery of the Spanish Shawl". ( )
  bcrowl399 | Sep 7, 2018 |

Christie, AgathaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Witness for the Prosecution; The Red Signal; The Fourth Man; S.O.S.; Where There's a Will; Mystery of the Blue Jar; Philomel Cottage; Accident; The Second Gong. The Witness for the Prosecution was initially published as Traitor Hands in Flynn's Weekly in 1925.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,193,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible