Journey through Genius: The Great Theorems…

Journey through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics (edition 1991)

by William Dunham (Author)

Praise for William Dunham s Journey Through Genius The GreatTheorems of Mathematics "Dunham deftly guides the reader throughthe verbal and logical intricacies of major mathematical questionsand proofs, conveying a splendid sense of how the greatestmathematicians from ancient to modern times presented theirarguments." Ivars Peterson Author, The Mathematical TouristMathematics and Physics Editor, Science News "It is mathematics presented as a series of works of art; afascinating lingering over individual examples of ingenuity andinsight. It is mathematics by lightning flash." Isaac Asimov "It is a captivating collection of essays of major mathematicalachievements brought to life by the personal and historicalanecdotes which the author has skillfully woven into the text. Thisis a book which should find its place on the bookshelf of anyoneinterested in science and the scientists who create it." R. L.Graham, AT&T Bell Laboratories "Come on a time-machine tour through 2,300 years in which Dunhamdrops in on some of the greatest mathematicians in history. Almostas if we chat over tea and crumpets, we get to know them and theirideas ideas that ring with eternity and that offer glimpses intothe often veiled beauty of mathematics and logic. And all the whilewe marvel, hoping that the tour will not stop." Jearl Walker,Physics Department, Cleveland State University Author of The FlyingCircus of Physics… (more)
Member:ggauthier
Title:Journey through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics
Authors:William Dunham (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (1991), Edition: 1st, 320 pages

Work Information

Journey through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics by William Dunham

English (10)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
Got me interested in some things I wasn't familiar with before. A good balance between between math and background info, and the proofs are easy to follow in most chapters. ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |
This is a brilliant intellectual journey through some of the great theorems of mathematics. The author writes very clearly and evocatively--then, there is the math. I am not a mathematician, and I frequently get lost in the rows after rows of numbers that go into the proofs of each theorem. Still, through Dunham's excellent explanations, I am able at least to grasp the gist of what is being said and to understand the intellectual achievement involved. I learned a lot reading this book about the beauty of mathematics and how geniuses--because that is the apt word here--have unraveled some of its mysteries over the centuries. This is not a long book, and while the math can be dense, and the ideas themselves may verge on giving you a headache as you struggle to understand them, the journey through genius (great title) is actually a very pleasant one for anyone with a bit of curiosity about a subject they may feel they don't understand well enough. This book will certainly increase your understanding of mathematics a bit--but it will increase your understanding and appreciation of mathematicians a LOT. ( )
  datrappert | Aug 2, 2018 |
It's a retelling of several historic math discoveries. Interesting, but not much new, since I'd read a lot of other books covering the same topics. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
It felt great reading this book because it took me back to my school days where we learned these concepts/theorems along with their proofs.

The book brings history and mathematics together which was an interesting read. I specifically liked reading about how Archimedes proved the area of a circle and how Limits were introduced as a result of finding the area of irregular shapes.

This book is recommended for anyone who has even the slightest interest in Mathematics. ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
Excellent balance of historical background and real-life proofs. Although at times the material is too simple, it is presented briskly and the author's tone is pleasant.
  ftong | May 3, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,225,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible